Front Rotor Rubbing on Caliper

8 replies to this topic
  • blanchdj

Posted April 22, 2011 - 06:21 AM

I have a 2006 YZ450F that I purchased new from the dealer. It was left over in the warehouse, so the price was right. Returning to the dealer now is not an option. Since purchased in Feb 2011, I put 6 hrs on it.
The front brake rotor is rubbing against the side of the caliper. The rotor is not bent as it is not rubbing at different points in the wheel rotation, its a constant rub.. When the bike is on the stand, I cannot get a complete revolution out of the wheel when trying to free spin it. I've never removed the front wheel, brakes, or adjusted the forks. My guess is that either the front spacers were mixed up at the factory, or the brake pads were installed incorrectly. The front wheel does seem to be a little offset towards the right which correlates with the rotor drag on the right side of the caliper. Any ideas guys??

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Glebo

Posted April 22, 2011 - 06:27 AM

Could be a couple of things.

If it's brand new and they had to prep it including puting on the wheels, they may have put the spacers on the wrong sides. I don't know on this particular bike, but on some bikes the front wheel spacers are a different thickness.

You could also loosen up the axle nut and the bottom fork bolts and see if it's not centered that way also.

Can't really tell from the pic.

good luck.

• YamaLink

Posted April 22, 2011 - 06:35 AM

Try this: put on stand, loosen pinch bolts and axle. Set bike down on floor and push up/down on forks a few times. Snug axle. Raise bike. Spin wheel.

Does it still rub? If not properly torque all bolts down.

• grayracer513

Posted April 22, 2011 - 07:03 AM

... they may have put the spacers on the wrong sides.

There isn't any question of it. The spacers are reversed. The "bell" spacer belongs on the brake side.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • blanchdj

Posted April 22, 2011 - 07:13 AM

Thank you Guys.. (Gray Racer) - That Bell Spacer looks out of place to me as well..I will try reversing the spacers 1st, then proceed with the other advice as noted below.
Thank you again!

• KJ790

Posted April 22, 2011 - 08:12 AM

Yup, Gray beat me, the spacers are definitely backwards.

• blanchdj

Posted April 22, 2011 - 09:42 AM

I will swap the bell spacer to the brake side.. can you tell me which way the bell should face? my shop manual isn't very clear on this.. Wide part of the bell facing outward as show in the pic? or wide part facing inward toward hub.. please advise? ..thanks

• KJ790

Posted April 22, 2011 - 10:45 AM

The fat part of the bell should be against the fork lug and the narrow end should fit in the dust seal in the hub.

• blanchdj

Posted April 22, 2011 - 12:52 PM

Thank you Gentlemen. Problem is SOLVED~.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.