Eric Gorr 295 ride review

70 replies to this topic
  • scottwvu

Posted April 22, 2011 - 06:17 AM

Just the facts. I work at a Yamaha-Polaris dealership in southern WV. We convinced a good customer of ours to get the 295 kit in his 2005 YZ 250.
I got to ride it for about half an hour to check it out. He had it ported for an "over-all" power increase. Here is what I noticed.
Power- Simply amazing. I have been riding 450's since 2004, and this thing RIPS! It pulls hard from bottom to top, with a nice, healthy "hit" in the midrange. I didn't notice the usual amount of wheelspin I usually get when I jump on a 2-stroke (cause i'm so used to 4-strokes), the power gets to the ground nicely.
This thing can eat up hills with ease. The most fun I had on the ride was shooting up this STEEP hill behind the shop. The YZ had NO problems, and power WAS NOT an issue. It also acted like it felt right at home being lugged around on the slower, more technical parts of the trail.
Sooooo, this morning, I threw down $1995 for a 2006 YZ 250, and plan on getting the EXACT same set-up on my machine. Can't wait!!!!!

Edited by scottwvu, April 22, 2011 - 06:18 AM.
missed a word

Posted April 22, 2011 - 06:31 AM

Just the facts. I work at a Yamaha-Polaris dealership in southern WV. We convinced a good customer of ours to get the 295 kit in his 2005 YZ 250.
I got to ride it for about half an hour to check it out. He had it ported for an "over-all" power increase. Here is what I noticed.
Power- Simply amazing. I have been riding 450's since 2004, and this thing RIPS! It pulls hard from bottom to top, with a nice, healthy "hit" in the midrange. I didn't notice the usual amount of wheelspin I usually get when I jump on a 2-stroke (cause i'm so used to 4-strokes), the power gets to the ground nicely.
This thing can eat up hills with ease. The most fun I had on the ride was shooting up this STEEP hill behind the shop. The YZ had NO problems, and power WAS NOT an issue. It also acted like it felt right at home being lugged around on the slower, more technical parts of the trail.
Sooooo, this morning, I threw down $1995 for a 2006 YZ 250, and plan on getting the EXACT same set-up on my machine. Can't wait!!!!!

I hear Eric has that kit dialed in. Did you notice any extra or excessive vibration in the bike with this kit?

• scottwvu

Posted April 22, 2011 - 07:50 AM

Not that noticeable. Maybe I went into it expecting it to vibrate very badly, but it wasn't as noticeable as you might think.

• RCannon

Posted April 22, 2011 - 08:14 AM

I agree with the vibration level. Same as stock, maybe a little less. From what Eric said, the piston weight is very close to what an oem yamaha piston weighs.

• APBT

Posted April 23, 2011 - 04:25 AM

Now we just need to get Harris to release his improved durability transmission to go with this kit. Since he plans on significantly improving reliability, maybe he could even be convinced to offer a 6 speed version during his re-design that requires only minor case machining to work???? Imagine the possibilities.... A durable 6 speed to go with a big bore kit?? I call it YZ Nirvana....

Edited by APBT, April 23, 2011 - 09:34 AM.

• dave298

Posted April 23, 2011 - 09:57 AM

yeah, I don't notice anymore vibration either, but the effing thing is a pain to kick start!

• Sierra_rider

Posted April 23, 2011 - 03:00 PM

yeah, I don't notice anymore vibration either, but the effing thing is a pain to kick start!

Naw... it just requires a different technique.:thumbsup:

• mikeythefokker

Posted April 23, 2011 - 03:15 PM

Wait, I have my eye on an eg 295 kit, but I need a bike that continues to start easily. How much harder is the bike to start now?

• Sierra_rider

Posted April 23, 2011 - 03:20 PM

Wait, I have my eye on an eg 295 kit, but I need a bike that continues to start easily. How much harder is the bike to start now?

It fires up easy, just takes a little more force to kick. Not like the stock bike, which you can almost start by hand.

• dave298

Posted April 24, 2011 - 06:42 AM

yeah it still fires right up. my problem is I'm short, and it's definitely harder to kick for me.

• RCannon

Posted April 24, 2011 - 03:28 PM

Short legs are not the hot set-up with the kit, for sure. Maybe Harris needs to offer this with his six-speed...http://www.shortsupp.../procedure.html

Mine is not so easy to kick, but with good jetting and an iridium plug, its a two kicker at most. I do think that expensive plug lets it start easier....It could also be due to the lightweight wallet after buying the plug.

• rodgini

Posted April 25, 2011 - 03:14 AM

hey man- this is jordan- i think you sold me a rear wheel bearing on saturday and saved my weekend? we had 2 yz300's @ burning rock. mines an 08 and my buddies is an 05. keep us posted when you get yours up and running. we'll have to have a yz300 convention in beckely!!

oh and these bikes are not that hard to start. you just have to kick it like you mean it. i'm not running $30 plugs either. you can't short stroke it. you have to kick it all the way through. mine starts first kick every time.

• 06yz

Posted April 25, 2011 - 05:09 AM

[COLOR="Blue"]Welcome to the club. Post up when you get your parts back from Eric.

MAX!!![/COLOR]

• scottwvu

Posted April 25, 2011 - 06:18 AM

hey man- this is jordan- i think you sold me a rear wheel bearing on saturday and saved my weekend? we had 2 yz300's @ burning rock. mines an 08 and my buddies is an 05. keep us posted when you get yours up and running. we'll have to have a yz300 convention in beckely!!

oh and these bikes are not that hard to start. you just have to kick it like you mean it. i'm not running $30 plugs either. you can't short stroke it. you have to kick it all the way through. mine starts first kick every time.

That's a GREAT idea. We need something exciting around here anyway :thumbsup::thumbsup:

• OUTLAWZRIDER83

Posted April 25, 2011 - 10:27 AM

hey jordan hey scott...man r u talking about my bike lol ha ha its jesse...so i guess you liked riding it...kevin likedit to and man i told jordan if he needed anything to stop by and yall would hook him up...jordan i meant to get with ya this weekend, sorry ..i ended up riding over in fayette county all weekend man...yea we need a 300 club and rip these woods a new A$$ lol:ride:

• BRM

Posted April 25, 2011 - 03:23 PM

Cutting to the chase, you need to kick the BB's like a man

• OUTLAWZRIDER83

Posted April 25, 2011 - 03:34 PM

yea they aint panzy bikes lol you do have to get a good kick mine fires up cold with one maybe two on its bad day never have to choke it either i love this bike man im still in shock over it

• EddiePA

Posted April 25, 2011 - 04:11 PM

You guys bitching about starting a 295 need to try kicking a 500. You'll never complain about your YZs ever again. :thumbsup:

• RCannon

Posted April 25, 2011 - 06:10 PM

You guys bitching about starting a 295 need to try kicking a 500. You'll never complain about your YZs ever again. :thumbsup:

The 295 is harder to kick than a cr or kx 500. Especially for those of us who have bumped compression up over stock. I dont think Yamaha gave it their all when designing the lever in the first place.

Even my old 490 was easier, to a point. That kickstart lever was slick and th e bike enjoyed kicking back. This always sent your shin right into the narrow, sharp footpeg.

• EddiePA

Posted April 25, 2011 - 07:09 PM

Not all 500s are created equal. My '86 is MUCH harder to kick than my '90 and '97. So much so that I had a decompression release machined in the head of the '86. It now kicks over much more like a 295. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

1998 yz125? by Cort003

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

Revalving a Factory Connection KYB SSS Revalve by C-P

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  42 replies
Forums
Photo

97 YZ250 suspension vs. 02 YZ250 suspension by Brendenob

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

What should I get for my next bike? by JHodel20

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 20 replies
Forums
Photo

87 yz 250 by ccauvel

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.