Carb therapy!

9 replies to this topic
  • Jason Stevens

Posted April 21, 2011 - 04:45 PM

Hello all. Just picked up a new to me and very low hour 07'WR450. All stock and ready for the adjustments to begin. Here's where I'm heading, please advise if I am missing anything while diving into the carb. I am in Olathe,Kansas elevation 700asl, riding up to 2000asl. I have the JD red on the 4th clip, 48pilot, 168main, 40 leak jet, Merge accel. pump spring and Merge fuel screw. Gonna hit the grey wire, bike has YZ throttle stop and top snorkle opened up by the battery. I should be getting into this thing on Saturday, just wanted to see if anyone saw something here I might be missing. I will be working on timing the accel.pump squirt as well. Thanks for any assistance.

Edited by Jason Stevens, April 21, 2011 - 05:17 PM.

• The Hopper Show

Posted April 21, 2011 - 04:49 PM

pea shooter

• Jason Stevens

Posted April 21, 2011 - 05:15 PM

Pea shooter...gone!

• jrutkows

Posted April 22, 2011 - 07:44 AM

a 48 pilot seems big at 2000ft, I would guess more like 45 but who knows. You should follow the procedure in the sticky.

• mikewrf18

Posted April 22, 2011 - 11:32 PM

Since it is an 07' make sure the air filter cage/assembly recall was completed. By now, I'm sure it has been, but you don't know if the PO new about it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • spomey

Posted April 23, 2011 - 07:30 AM

Mikewrf18 can you explain more about the air filter recal I searched the web and couldnt find anything!

• ohioryder

Posted April 23, 2011 - 11:46 AM

I believe the recall had to do with the plastic screen for the air filter. The shaft coming off the screen (the part that the bar clips onto to hold the air filter in place) was hollow for 07. Being hollow it allows dirt to be sucked into the carb which is obviously not good. The recall replaced it. Yamaha corrected it with the 08 model.

• Jason Stevens

Posted April 25, 2011 - 04:47 AM

Wish I had more to report other than I didn't get very far. Plan was to start at the top and work our way down to the carb. Got the threaded inserts for the bars for installation of the Cycra CRM hand guards. Cut the bars down 1in on each side and did the threads. Working on the clutch side, just no luck, love the way these mount,but they are gonna need some tweaking to allow correct movement of the clutch lever..2hrs down and haven't gotten close to the carb yet. The BulletProof radiator guards were a breeze and are beautiful eye candy, also the TMDesignworks chain guide was easy. I'm sure I am not the first guy to have to tweak a hand guard to get everything to fall into place,but still a PITA! Will report back when actual "carb therapy" has taken place!

• mikewrf18

Posted April 25, 2011 - 09:42 PM

I believe the recall had to do with the plastic screen for the air filter. The shaft coming off the screen (the part that the bar clips onto to hold the air filter in place) was hollow for 07. Being hollow it allows dirt to be sucked into the carb which is obviously not good. The recall replaced it. Yamaha corrected it with the 08 model.

That's it, mine was hollow when I bought my 07' and had to modify it.

• Jason Stevens

Posted April 28, 2011 - 06:02 PM

Whew! I felt like we were doing a total rebuild here, talk about disassembly! Got the block off kit from spomey..thanks very much, flawless in design and functionality! Took the carb off and started the surgery, put all of the goods in as mentioned on the original post. Stuffed it together and bam..it works great! Not sure when an actual "dirt" ride will happen but it snaps, yanks, burns the tire...you get the picture! Got the Flatland skidplate on and finally got the Cycra's on, those guards are not happy with 30"in bars, be warned! My SPI suspension should be in next week then its off to the installer to have it all put in/on and it will be ready to go.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.