08 wr 450 carb removal

14 replies to this topic
  • 066logger

Posted April 21, 2011 - 04:19 PM

......... what in the heck were they thinking!!!!! i pulled my carb today after looking for it for 15 minutes :cheers::thumbsup::thumbsup:. i mean really what is the deal? i hope i never hafto do that again. ive pulled carbs off ktm rfs, xr 400, ktm 250 xcw, kawi kx125, honda crf 450, and a few others and never ever were they evenly remotely close to this crazyness that i just did. well anyway back to what im after. i have my jd jet kit in the mail now and also my extended fuel screw. this bike has been sitting for a little while and has developed a low end bog that seems to only occur at the most inopportune times. im thinking replace pilot jet,mod ap squirt, change leak jet to a 40, and remove throttle stop. any body have any pics of exactly how to tie the ap linkage together? oh and also any other mods that i havent found that need to be done to this carb would be handy also. thanks.

• wanawakeboard

Posted April 21, 2011 - 04:46 PM

cluster "f" isnt it!

• 066logger

Posted April 22, 2011 - 02:16 PM

yea i think thats a slight understatement lol.

• the_smoo

Posted April 22, 2011 - 02:32 PM

http://www.pegmonkey.../1034:thumbsup:

• mikewrf18

Posted April 22, 2011 - 11:28 PM

It is a pain, but it gets a little easier the more times you do it and develop a system. I still dread it though when the time comes!

• dgcars

Posted April 23, 2011 - 12:13 AM

Not the easiest job in the book. You can, however, do most stuff with the carb 'in situ'. Main & pilot jets, needle and bowl off.

• seabass152

Posted April 23, 2011 - 01:31 PM

How about changing out needles? Can that be done on the bike?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dgcars

Posted April 23, 2011 - 01:47 PM

How about changing out needles? Can that be done on the bike?

For sure...tank off. :thumbsup:

• tribalbc

Posted April 23, 2011 - 10:39 PM

For sure...tank off. :thumbsup:

And top motor mounts.

If you take off the hotstart and loosen the boots you can twist the carb enough to have decent access to the main and pilot. The pilots still bitchy though.

• dgcars

Posted April 23, 2011 - 10:55 PM

And top motor mounts.

If you take off the hotstart and loosen the boots you can twist the carb enough to have decent access to the main and pilot. The pilots still bitchy though.

http://www.thumperta...6676&highlight=

• beezer

Posted April 24, 2011 - 08:58 AM

Pretty good idea.

• the_smoo

Posted April 24, 2011 - 09:04 AM

be careful with the hotstart.. I have had mine off a few times now and I am sure the next few times the plastic thread will become useless :thumbsup:

• tribalbc

Posted April 24, 2011 - 09:42 AM

be careful with the hotstart.. I have had mine off a few times now and I am sure the next few times the plastic thread will become useless :thumbsup:

Thats why I bought an aftermarket aluminum one, stock ones threads go after numerous removals.

• tribalbc

Posted April 24, 2011 - 09:45 AM

http://www.thumperta...6676&highlight=

Thats a great idea, I read your thing and tried it recently actually.
But my tubing was to thick to fit in the pilot hole. So I resorted to my usual screwdriver tip balancing act.

• kawi380

Posted April 25, 2011 - 12:59 PM

I never actually take the carb off but I do remove the shock as I am also cleaning and regreasing the bearings. I rejet and regrease in the fall and spring so I do both at the same time. It works well for me and I don't have to fight with the super tight spaces that my fat fingers don't fit in.

And yes, I also do the screwdriver tip balancing act for the pilot.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.