Power outages? What is up?

5 replies to this topic
  • BrandonW

Posted August 14, 2003 - 10:48 AM

Just heard that there are massive power outages, from Detroit to DC.

I thought all power was "looped" in that in comes not from one source, kinda like our water systems.

Hope this is short and over soon.

• ToSlow2Care

Posted August 14, 2003 - 02:41 PM

:) :busted:The News says that it was lighting that hit one of the Niagra generators and caused an overload. Chain reaction and shut down the grid. Power surge-safety gates close-No Power. :D :D

• CraigW

Posted August 14, 2003 - 09:26 PM

You Americans need to pay your Electricity Bills !!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jetster220

Posted August 15, 2003 - 07:30 AM

And they actually have electricity in Africa :D :).

• Bamster

Posted August 16, 2003 - 10:14 AM

Think of it like 6 guys holding up a log.
The first guy trips ,you hope the 5 other guys
can hold it up. I think the first guy tripped ,tripping the next guy and so on.

• MN_Kevin

Posted August 17, 2003 - 02:36 AM

I was on shift at Seabrook Station when the problem occurred.

The steam driven, electric turbines are spinning to maintain electrical grid frequency of 60 HZ +/-. When the problem occurred, the turbines are now spinning faster due to the reduction in required power. At Seabrook Station, we had a "Turbine Runback".

The Reactor's Control Rods started driving in to reduce Reactor Power due to the drop in load on the grid. Some plants that were closer to the source did not have time to adjust. I heard 21 plants went down, 7 of which were nukes.

New England was pretty much OK (I heard there were problems in VT...???) and isolated itself to survive the hit.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.