'99 420 starts first kick everytime

8 replies to this topic
  • Shawbridge Husky

Posted May 03, 2001 - 09:54 PM

Been ridung again about a dozen times or so in the past two weeks. A lot of people warned me about the hard starting four stroke. Why does mine start so well? Haven't even used the hot start yet. I can start it in gear with clutch pulled in. I have mostly stock jetting except for 180 main, 4th clip and 420 kit. I'm not complaining, just find it odd that the bike has a bad rep for starting. I haven't crashed it yet though so that may be another issue.

[This message has been edited by Hugh LePage (edited 05-03-2001).]

• yzf

Posted May 03, 2001 - 10:06 AM

mine is the same way except if i crash and after the bike falls it stalls and the throttle is opened when the bike hits the ground witch causes the acc. pump to pump fuel into the engine when it is not running and flood it then i need the hot start if i want the bike to start first kick

• enmerdeur

Posted May 03, 2001 - 02:00 PM

Same here Hugh. I have a 99' 400 and it starts first kick when warm. Maybe 2 or 3 when cold. It even got better when I added a 10 oz. flywheel. Once I find TDC it is almost as easy as a 2 smoke.

------------------
SHN
99'YZ-400 (Mine)
00' TT-R 125 (Hers)
91' KX-125 (Son #1)
93' CR-80 (Just sold it. Looking for another TTR125 for Son #2)
99' PW-80 (Son #3)

• Tom_N

Posted May 07, 2001 - 05:55 AM

Interesting, I have wondered the same about my 98-400f... I have read about how hard they are to start, to use the hot start and never to blip the throttle..

Mine has been the oposite, if its cold I have to pull the choke and blip the throttle 4 or 5 times (full) to get it to start ( could this be a bad thing?). Once it's warm it starts on the first kick and I have never gotten it to start using the hot start button even after a spill.. When its hot one kick in gear or not it'll fire right up.. I have a bbr kicker on it and the only hard part is that it's a bit tall to reach...

I have never tunned the carb at all and often wanted to have it done but am wondering if that is behind some of the hard starts?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tom_N

Posted May 07, 2001 - 05:59 AM

Oh yea, it is harder than my friends 01 - KTM420sx...

His has a very light kick and you do not need the decompression lever to kick it over. It's almost like starting a two smoke.. but the darn thing feels funny to ride.. too much wheel base for me and too skinny.. I guess I am used to my fat blue thing.. ;D

Once my bike gets on the compression stroke it's impossible to kick over with out the lever... I can literally stand both feet on the lever and it will not move and I weigh 175lbs... is that normal? I have asked many shops who indicate it is... but I still wonder when I check out the KTM..

• enmerdeur

Posted May 07, 2001 - 06:17 AM

Tom,
The KTM's have automatic compression release. That is why it seems so easy to kick over. I have heard stories of people starting their KTM's with their hand!

------------------
SHN
99'YZ-400 (Mine)
00' TT-R 125 (Hers)
91' KX-125 (Son #1)
93' CR-80 (Just sold it. Looking for another TTR125 for Son #2)
99' PW-80 (Son #3)

• Tom_N

Posted May 07, 2001 - 06:27 AM

Well that explains the KTM part.. Should mine not kick over at all w/out the compression release? It won't and runs fine but I have always wondered since I bought it used..

• teamtoxic

Posted May 07, 2001 - 10:51 AM

<FONT COLOR="Navy"> Tom, this is completely normal. This is a super high compression fourstroke. You shouldn't be able to kick through without using the decompression.
This is one of the most fun parts about these bikes. You let your friend, who has never started a YZ400/426 try to start it. He will jump down onto the kickstarter and will almost fall over when it doesn't budge :)He'll say "damn!, how do u start this thing!?" Then you casually fire it up, by secretly using the decompression lever. :)
</FONT>

------------------
~~~~~YaMaHaFoUrTwOsIx~~~~~

[This message has been edited by teamtoxic (edited 05-07-2001).]

• Amador

Posted May 07, 2001 - 11:10 AM

I agree, I have a very strict "if you can start it than you can ride it policy".

Nobody has ever ridden my bike....but everybody wants to!!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.