Yamaha Service/Customer Support

10 replies to this topic
  • Ga426owner

Posted May 03, 2001 - 08:40 AM

I read & see a lot of post with complaints about Yamaha Dealerships ability to provide decent to good customer support & service. Lately a lot of you are "IN AWE OVER THIS NEW CRF450". Yes, at first glimpse my mouth was watering too,until I remembered how stiff that frame is. A lot of you probably have decided to sell your 426's for this Red bike, even the less than 10% of you who have never found out what 5th gear wide open can feel like, or reving out to 12000rpm. I keep reading this "Yamaha support sux,Honda is the best".
Let me tell you this: I found out today that Yamaha is going to replace approx $400.00 in parts from my 2001 WR426 with 3 rides on it, WAY past the expiration of the warranty period. I bought this bike back on Dec. 12 2000. Do you know why? Not because I bring my bikes to them for service. I do not. The reason is this: I believe in making friends with people that share my same interest. In this case, my Tuner "MXTUNER" & some of the Service Technicians at several of the Yamaha dealerships. They ride & race just like you & me. Do you know what they say about us, the customers. "If most of our customers could only be more friendly, not raise Hell everytime they foul a plug, expect perfect jetting from initial bike set up", or this one " what do you mean I need in new top end every 10 to 15hrs on my YZ125/250? What are you !@#$@#$% Crazy!" Oh, and I guess it helps to buy several bikes & the occasional part from these dealerships.
So in closing, if you decide to sell your 426 to buy the new 450, so be it. But, when you come over to my neck of the woods, prepared to get spanked by my new Yamaha Super Thumper!

• dirtdad

Posted May 03, 2001 - 09:09 PM

good point.

------------------
00 YZ426F
01 TT-R125L (my son's)
91 CR125
83 YZ490
74 Hodaka Super Combat(gone but not forgotten!)

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 03, 2001 - 11:16 AM

I'll sell my 99' YZ400 when I get the opportunity to ride one of these new CRF450 or YZ???F at the track or desert. If the bike is obviously better then mine then I'll move to the new one. I didn't buy the new YZ426 because I didn't feel that it was that much better then mine!! At least not better enough to warrent going through the hassle of selling my bike, spending the money to buy a new one and then setting up the suspension to my needs. If I'm getting smoked on the track by these new super thumpers because of the bike then I'll switch. My guess though is that I won't be getting smoked by the bike as much as I'll be getting smoked by the rider so buying the new bike isn't going to help. I still belive the secret to going really fast is way more in the rider then the bike, especially with todays bike. It's not like this CRF is introducing some mind blowing improvment like monoshock suspension, inverted forks, or 2 wheel drive with auto pilot. I'm still 100% in love with my yellow YZ400 and will be until something WAY better comes along.

------------------
Khris
When in doubt, GAS IT!
What are you, YELLOW?

• daveyg

Posted May 03, 2001 - 11:55 AM

Georgia boy,

Yes, there have been many comlaints about Yamaha customer service and you are one of the few that got results in your favor. For me, I owned my 426 for a total of 2 months before the tranny failed 4th pinion and Yamaha said, "Sorry." I tried the nice approach, I tried the groveling approach, but the bottom line is that I was left out to dry with no results, not even an apology. Not only that, I had to wait over 2 months for the parts to come it, since they had some backorder issue. Not cool, not cool at all. I know I'm repeating myself to all of the loyal thumpertalk readers, but I don't forget Sh_t like that.

I rode Honda's for many years prior to this and I'm in line for a new CRF450R as well as others here. Like I've said before, Honda treated me right when I had problems and they have my loyalty. As far as Yamaha, they could put out a 450 space cruiser next year and I'd say, "Uhhhhh.....Sorry guys."

• Terry_Blake

Posted May 03, 2001 - 12:30 PM

Why all the bickering? Have both.

We are keeping both of our 01 426's and buying the new honda too! Makes for a good comparision.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 03, 2001 - 12:37 PM

I guess we know who the Yuppie in the group is. :)

------------------
Khris
When in doubt, GAS IT!
What are you, YELLOW?

• fastkevin

Posted May 03, 2001 - 12:56 PM

The early speculation from the Honda stores is "additional markup". Depending on what kind of alocation they're looking at ( they should find out today), it may be $7k-INITIALY.

• Ga426owner

Posted May 03, 2001 - 01:17 PM

Daveyg BOY, I am truely sorry about your experience. I can not speak very good about many dealers from any make or model, because we all know that they mainly care about taking our hard earned $. Hell, this particular dealer sells new bikes more costly than anyone else in a 100mi radius. And to tell you truthfully, My buying habits have never been dictated by the "cheapest" dealer,or the manufacturer that supposely has the best customer support, but by the ones that truely want to work with me. That is why I travel 2-3hrs. away to buy my Blue Bikes, I get a call before the new models come out to see if I want the first one or not. I like you swore by Honda's, until I found the bike that suited my riding style.
Your dealer should have taken care of the transmission,do you know why? To keep you as a customer. They could have but chose not to.

On another note, if Honda adds additional markup on this bike, over retail, screw Honda & anyone who pays extra is a fool.

• enmerdeur

Posted May 03, 2001 - 01:57 PM

The whole CRF question is moot for me. The only Honda that I ever got along with was my first CT-70. It seems any of their motocrossers have it out for me. Call it dumb luck but it seems everytime I ride a CR I get pitched off on my head. We just don't fit each other. But as far YZ's go we have had a long and loving relationship. I will not be leaving the my Blue Light beauty for some cheap thrill in the Red Light district!

------------------
SHN
99'YZ-400 (Mine)
00' TT-R 125 (Hers)
91' KX-125 (Son #1)
93' CR-80 (Just sold it. Looking for another TTR125 for Son #2)
99' PW-80 (Son #3)

• DaveJ

Posted May 03, 2001 - 02:58 PM

I think it's rather obvious that Yamaha and Honda are always battling for the number one plate - and I don't mean racing. I'm brand loyal to performance, as they deserve.

As for customer service, please keep in mind that these poor people hear nothing but complaints from individuals that think they have special rights as U.S. citizens.

If you surprise them with your diplomacy, they'll reserve their bad attitudes for all the other smucks.

• Terry_Blake

Posted May 03, 2001 - 04:51 PM

Khris

I liked your yuppie prediction!

You hit the nail right on the head reference being from the yuppie generation. I am buying the Honda for the kids and in return I get the hand-me-down 426.

All of us actually raced Yamahas at one time and only rode the Honda XR250 to trail ride and play around.

We absolutly love the Yamahas and have had no problems of any kind.We are still running the same plugs and we have had no starting problems.

I believe in product competition.
This makes the factories work harder to build a better bike and that in turn funnels down to us and we keep getting better products.

I don't think it makes much difference if the Honda is better or worse than the Yamaha but I bet we can expect a better Yamaha in the near future.

Some of the Honda dealers that I spoke with are quoting the MSRP of $6,299.00. I think this is high but look what the Yamaha dealers did with the YZ250F.

Terry

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.