YZ exhaust on the WR

10 replies to this topic
  • ZWR450

Posted April 19, 2011 - 07:12 PM

I have the stock exhaust on my '09 WR450 and was thinking about upgrading to an FMF slip on and keeping the stock header.
I found a stock '09 YZ450 exhaust for sale. Would the stock YZ exhaust benifit my WR at all or even close to the FMF canister?

• MaxPower

Posted April 19, 2011 - 08:47 PM

[COLOR="Green"]I installed a YZ exhaust on my 04. Made it a different bike. I dont know how much a aftermarket exhaust would really help the power. I found the OEM YZ pipe has a much better finish than almost every aftermarket exhaust.If its in good shape and a good price I say go for it.
The extra money you save you can buy a YZ exhaust cam. That completed the package for my bike. These bikes in my opinion are full race motors and arent ment to be detuned [/COLOR]

• mikewrf18

Posted April 20, 2011 - 12:02 AM

I put an 08' YZF exhaust on my 07' WRF recently. It looks good, tucks nicely inside the side number plate, and performs very well. It is louder though.
Here's a pic.

Posted Image

• Gunner354

Posted April 20, 2011 - 10:43 AM

I put an 08' YZF exhaust on my 07' WRF recently. It looks good, tucks nicely inside the side number plate, and performs very well. It is louder though.
Here's a pic.

Posted Image

Performs well? Really? The 08 09 yz stock pipe is a restrictive piece of crap. Go over to the yz forum and do a search. 5-6 hp loss with the stock pipe over an aftermarket pipe. That's one of the first things done to an 08 09 yz. Ditch the stock pipe. The 06 is the stock pipe of choice. Sorry but you got taken.

• DrewRanch

Posted April 20, 2011 - 10:48 AM

I tried to put on my fmf slip on from my 2006 YZF onto my 2009 WR and the header dia. was differant. I didn't want to mess with it too much... I like my WR stealthy quite :thumbsup: Might want to check that out though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mongial

Posted April 20, 2011 - 05:16 PM

Do all the free mods, jet kit, gut the pencil sharpener port from the stock exhaust (do a search for wr exhaust mod...drill a a hole through the rear baffle for now) and put your money into a suspension overhaul. The front forks are horrible stock and springs for your weight and a re-valve make you faster and safer. Then you can decide what pipe you want!

• WR450FGreg

Posted April 20, 2011 - 06:07 PM

I've been here myself with my '08 WR450F.

Performs well? Really? The 08 09 yz stock pipe is a restrictive piece of crap.

Compared to an expensive aftermarket YZ system it probably is. Compared to a stock WR system it most certainly isn't!
Look at any pretty much any production car; put headers on it and the stock system seems like a restrictive piece of crap!
I think we have context issues happening here (with respect!)

Gunner354, it's just the stock YZ muffler that the problem, not the header, pull one apart and you'll see what I mean.
Their blanket statement that the "system" is restrictive is a little misleading, we need to research and think about things a bit more here!

ZWR450, my advice is:
1. Buy a YZ header, either the PowerBomb or non-PowerBomb style will improve things because both are bigger diameter than stock WR.

2. Modify your stock muffler properly. Read all of this ( http://www.thumperta...te=1&p=10274647 ) and once again, think about what you are doing.

3. Go ride someone's bike who has spent the big money on the aftermarket system. You won't be doing the same, believe me!

The only advantage of an aftermarket muffler (over a properly modified stocker) is in weight saving.

My two cents worth anyway.

Greg

Edited by WR450FGreg, April 21, 2011 - 01:58 PM.

• mikewrf18

Posted April 20, 2011 - 09:30 PM

I've been here myself with my '08 WR450F.

Compared to an expensive aftermarket YZ system it probably is. Compared to a stock WR system it most certainly isn't!
Look at any pretty much any production car; put headers on it and the stock system seems like a restrictive piece of crap!
I think we have context issues happening here (with respect!)

Gunner354, it's just the stock YZ muffler that the problem, not the header, pull one apart and you'll see what I mean.
Their blanket statement that the "system" is restrictive is a little misleading, we need to research and think about things a bit more here!

My advice:
1. Buy a YZ header, either the PowerBomb or non-PowerBomb style will improve things because both are bigger diameter than stock WR.

2. Modify your stock muffler properly. Read all of this ( http://www.thumperta...te=1&p=10274647 ) and once again, think about what you are doing.

3. Go ride someone's bike who has spent the big money on the aftermarket system. You won't be doing the same, believe me!

The only advantage of an aftermarket muffler (over a properly modified stocker) is in weight saving.

My two cents worth anyway.

Greg

Greg, thanks, you beat me to it. I know the 08' YZF pipe might not be the perfect pipe, some say certain year YZF exhaust systems are better but to me it seems to be much better than my complete wrf exhaust system. And obviously if I wanted to spend a ton of money I could find something better. But for $100 for a complete exhaust system with PMB spark arrestor/end cap you can't beat it.

• WR450FGreg

Posted April 20, 2011 - 11:21 PM

But for $100 for a complete exhaust system with PMB spark arrestor/end cap you can't beat it.

You're speaking my language there Mike! :thumbsup:

I bought two complete YZ systems off fleaBay ('08 and '09), neither was over $120!

The '08 had the PB header, the '09 didn't but was a larger diameter than the PB '08 one.
I couldn't tell the two apart riding, so I've stuck with the PB one solely due to it's increased "bling" !!

Greg

• mikewrf18

Posted April 21, 2011 - 12:06 AM

You're speaking my language there Mike! :thumbsup:

I bought two complete YZ systems off fleaBay ('08 and '09), neither was over $120!

The '08 had the PB header, the '09 didn't but was a larger diameter than the PB '08 one.
I couldn't tell the two apart riding, so I've stuck with the PB one solely due to it's increased "bling" !!

Greg

It's also nice to know that if my header or tailpipe gets banged up, I can find OEM YZF exhaust replacement parts on fleabay or CL all day long for next to nothing. I'm sold on it. :thumbsup:

• kawi380

Posted April 21, 2011 - 04:00 PM

I have a full 09 yz system with the PMB insert and have no problems with it, and no I would never pay big bucks for an aftermarket system. The only reason the wr got the yz system is that I tacoed the head pipe in a bad getoff. I didn't have a problem with the stock system...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.