04 yz450f kickstart issue

8 replies to this topic
  • kanuck15

Posted April 19, 2011 - 05:44 PM

I rebuilt an 04 450 for some kid and now that its back together I cant get the darn kickstarter to budge at all. I kicked it enough to make it run and know it turns over fine. The motor spins over with a ratchet on the flywheel nut even under compression. yet with all of my 200lbs I can not make that kickstarter move. I am not sure where to start looking any help would be great

• grayracer513

Posted April 19, 2011 - 08:06 PM

If you put it in gear and back it up against compression, can you turn it through to the next compression stroke with the kick starter?

• kanuck15

Posted April 20, 2011 - 07:36 AM

no, the kick starter wont budge one bit but the motor turns over if you try to coast start it or put a ratchet on the flywheel nut and turn it over

• grayracer513

Posted April 20, 2011 - 08:39 AM

You've assembled something incorrectly, then, is what it would seem.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kanuck15

Posted April 21, 2011 - 12:08 AM

i dont get how, all I did was touch the top end of the bike. Something Ive done on my own a million times and it turns out perfect each time. I never had the side of the motor apart

• Yamaryder29

Posted April 21, 2011 - 03:36 AM

Sounds like you'll get to now. It's not bad. just pull the side motor covers off, pull the right side crank, then pull the clutch to see and be able to remove the starter gear.

• 97cr125

Posted April 21, 2011 - 03:41 AM

might be the return spring.i recently took my side case off and tried to put it back on with a new gasket but didn't know there where two hole the end of the spring can go on.i cracked the side case and learnt a expensive lesson,hopefully you just learn a lesson unlike me lol.

• grayracer513

Posted April 21, 2011 - 06:14 AM

i dont get how (I would have assembled it wrong), all I did was touch the top end of the bike. Something Ive done on my own a million times and it turns out perfect each time. I never had the side of the motor apart

An odd coincidence, then. You're still going to have to open it up and diagnose it. The '03's and early '04's did have some problems with the starter. The assembly was upgraded early in '04.

• williec

Posted April 21, 2011 - 06:29 AM

I had the exact same issue with my 04... the actually problem took me months to figure out cause I thought it was the kick stater itself......everything seemed to point that direction, but after some tinkering I found out it was the crank. I guess over time one of the needle bearings wore flat.....hate to say it but you might need a new crank. I had the exact same issue........it would turn over on the flywheel with a wrench.....but eventually it would hit that flat spot again and not kick over........so don't rule it out. You would be able to bump start it.....but with a bad bearing.......it will eventuall be a very bad idea

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.