Moab trip in October...

28 replies to this topic
  • ddialogue

Posted August 14, 2003 - 04:01 AM

We'll be in Moab the first weekend in October. Are there any big events that weekend that we may want to consider rescheduling around?

We're planning on Oct. 2-5 and we will be dual-sporting the rides. :)

• pedman

Posted August 14, 2003 - 06:14 AM

Not sure on the activities, maybe some mtn bike races and rock crawler comps.

I'll be going the first week in November. The rates are about half then. :)

• mikeolichney

Posted August 14, 2003 - 07:51 AM

The 24 hours of Moab (mtn bike race) is Oct 16, I wouldn't go then unless you want to do the race. The town is a zoo then.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted August 14, 2003 - 08:26 AM

Im looking to make the trek From Michigan to Moab on Oct 18-26th for some ridding. Anything going on then that I should be aware of?

• rockieman

Posted August 14, 2003 - 12:53 PM

Dave
Check out this site Moab http://moab-utah.com/ ...scroll down to events toward the bottom of the page....looks like the fat tire classic is the only event in October (3rd weekend).
I was there the same weekend last year.
Have a good time! :)

• ddialogue

Posted August 14, 2003 - 01:26 PM

Thanks for the tips, guys. I know UEA conference is the weekend of the 16th (school is out for four days) and I'm sure it will be crowded that weekend too so we're definitely going to avoid that weekend.

• N7SLC

Posted August 15, 2003 - 02:32 AM

We're gonna have a great time! Crowded?? Don't worry about that...the mtn bikers will ride away from us as fast as possible... :)

• live_to_ride

Posted August 15, 2003 - 09:08 AM

OOOOOOHHH................ Might you consider letting some dork with a blue bike come with you? Suppose there may be room on the floor of the hotel room for another sleeping bag? :) Hmmmmm.... :D

• N7SLC

Posted August 16, 2003 - 12:14 PM

OOOOOOHHH................ Might you consider letting some dork with a blue bike come with you? Suppose there may be room on the floor of the hotel room for another sleeping bag? :) Hmmmmm.... :D

I'm sure we could find room for you. You dare ride your bike on some black top??

• live_to_ride

Posted August 16, 2003 - 06:45 PM

You dare ride your bike on some black top??

Umm, how much? Am I going to need a plate?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ddialogue

Posted August 17, 2003 - 03:54 AM

We're planning on making loops out of the rides instead of out-and-back and this will require connecting them with pavement. You will need to have the bare dual-sport necessities and a plate (unless you plan to dodge the law!) You've got two months...get busy!

• live_to_ride

Posted August 17, 2003 - 03:10 PM

We'll see. Right now the chances don't look good though, and that much street riding is hard on the tires.

• pedman

Posted August 17, 2003 - 06:19 PM

'and that much street riding is hard on the tires.'

What about the slick rock, what tires were you going to use there? :D :) :D

• N7SLC

Posted August 18, 2003 - 06:06 AM

'and that much street riding is hard on the tires.'

What about the slick rock, what tires were you going to use there? :) :D :D

Yeah Chris, we're going to connect a lot of the rides together on the pavement. Probably 15 miles will be the longest on the pavement.

IMHO, the Slick Rock is harder on the tires than the blacktop is...

• CISCO

Posted August 18, 2003 - 08:40 AM

Hey guys!!! Any chance you want to go the FOLLOWING weekend? PLEEAAAAAAAAASSSSEEEEEEE???? My anniversary is the 4th. No can do that weekend. Id love to ride Moab! Never done it. Let me know if the date is set in stone. :)

• live_to_ride

Posted August 18, 2003 - 08:54 AM

Ya, I guess you guys are right about the slickrock, but that still isn't high speed for miles. I'm still undecided if it would be worth it to register it for the street for 1 ride.

What is the date for the next hobble creek ride? Will it be labor day weekend?

• ddialogue

Posted August 18, 2003 - 07:09 AM

Hey guys!!! Any chance you want to go the FOLLOWING weekend? PLEEAAAAAAAAASSSSEEEEEEE???? My anniversary is the 4th. No can do that weekend. Id love to ride Moab! Never done it. Let me know if the date is set in stone. :)

Cisco,

As luck would have it, we've changed this date to the SECOND weekend in October instead of the first. It turns out that N7SLC can't make the first weekend because it's the only time his wife can take off work and they're vacationing (so to speak) that weekend. So, we'd LOVE to hook up with you!

We'll be rolling into Moab on Wednesday night (the 8th) and leaving Sunday morning (the 12th.) The cement isn't quite dry on these days but it's looking very good. :D :D

• CISCO

Posted August 18, 2003 - 12:43 PM

Cool keep me informed. Id probably leave Tues eve and stay in Wells NV or thereabout. Then drive to Moab from there Weds. How far from SLC is it?

• ddialogue

Posted August 18, 2003 - 12:42 PM

Cool keep me informed. Id probably leave Tues eve and stay in Wells NV or thereabout. Then drive to Moab from there Weds. How far from SLC is it?

I'm driving straight through from Boise, Idaho on Wednesday. SLC is about 3.5-4 hours north of Moab.

• N7SLC

Posted August 18, 2003 - 07:06 PM

Cisco!!!

You gotta meet up with us!!! It will be really nice to have another yellow bike along for the ride. :)

Wells to Moab is approx. 415 miles with about a 7-hr. drive.

SLC to Moab is approx. 234 miles and the drive time is about 4 hours.

Of course, that's assuming you drive the speed limit. I made Moab in justover 3 hours driving about 5mph over and pulling three bikes on a trailer.

You're gonna love Moab, especially dual-sported.

Dan

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.