Best full synthetic oil in 09 yz450f?

61 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted April 21, 2011 - 06:46 PM

Amsoil MCF, MCV, and Mobil 1 Racing 4T and V-Twin consistently turn in the best results. When it was included, HP4 did OK, overall. It did fall out of grade during the viscosity shear test I consider so important, but it took longer than most by far. Motul oils do well, as do the Torco and Spectro MC oils.

Just be sure you don't use the MB version of HP4 (you knew that already).

• skull1971

Posted April 22, 2011 - 06:10 AM

So how does Bel-Ray thumper rate in all this?

• grayracer513

Posted April 22, 2011 - 07:00 AM

The only Bel-Ray oils I've seen come through were EXS and V-Twin. V-Twin was barely a 20w-50 to start with, and dropped into the 40 range during the first of 4 test cycles. EXS lost viscosity in each cycle, but remained a 40 weight the entire time. It generally did OK.

• yzf1999

Posted April 22, 2011 - 08:12 AM

I bought some full syn. Lucus oil for my first oil change..should I throw it away and get something else??

• grayracer513

Posted April 22, 2011 - 08:21 AM

I'll just tell you that I wouldn't use it and let you make that decision.

• powers450f

Posted April 22, 2011 - 09:34 AM

Hey smarty, he's talking about the smell of the oil from the bottle....

Correct.

• davidl9999

Posted April 22, 2011 - 10:04 AM

I bought some full syn. Lucus oil for my first oil change..should I throw it away and get something else??

If I had it, I'd use it and save a few $$ this time around - or put it in something else. No sense just tossing the stuff. Not going to hurt anything if you change to a different brand later. Your call.

• todds924

Posted April 22, 2011 - 04:20 PM

Amsoil MCF, MCV, and Mobil 1 Racing 4T and V-Twin consistently turn in the best results. When it was included, HP4 did OK, overall. It did fall out of grade during the viscosity shear test I consider so important, but it took longer than most by far. Motul oils do well, as do the Torco and Spectro MC oils.

Just be sure you don't use the MB version of HP4 (you knew that already).

Yessir! I knew that.

• Yamiryder

Posted April 22, 2011 - 04:38 PM

Just get a good, respected brand synthetic oil you like and stick with it. Remember to change it often.:thumbsup:

• humpness

Posted April 26, 2011 - 07:21 PM

what sucks is I cant find a decent synthetic in my town. there is a walmart,bimart,3 automotive and no bike shop. I will order up 3 or 4 liters at a time from some website but i seem to go through that in no time. Does anyone have a suggestion to some of the oils "walmart" sells?

i hate that shit hole walmart by the way.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mr. Neutron

Posted April 26, 2011 - 07:42 PM

what sucks is I cant find a decent synthetic in my town. there is a walmart,bimart,3 automotive and no bike shop. I will order up 3 or 4 liters at a time from some website but i seem to go through that in no time. Does anyone have a suggestion to some of the oils "walmart" sells?

i hate that shit hole walmart by the way.

For oil filters, I'd probably buy a Scotts Performance stainless steel oil filter, EOYZF. You can easily clean it, and its reuseable.

Anyone sell Amsoil in your town? Here in Sandy, we've got a retired guy I go to church with that has a rack full of different Amsoil products at a convenience store. It's probably not the cheapest way to go, but he's always got MCF there...... :thumbsup:

It sounds like you don't like WalMart? :thumbsup:

It's not the one in Pendleton, by any chance, is it? That one is particularly craptastic......

Jimmie

• grayracer513

Posted April 26, 2011 - 08:17 PM

Buy directly from Amsoil at Amsoil.com. If you use more than say 12 quarts in a year, you'll be money ahead of buying it out of a shop if you sign up as a preferred customer, even with the $20 fee and the shipping. Then you won't need to go farther than your front porch.

If you HAVE to use one from Wally World, look for Mobil 1 Racing 4T motorcycle oil. If they don't have it, Mobil 1 Extended Performance has the best chance of staying in grade, with Mobil 1 Truck and SUV being a next choice.

• Jim813

Posted April 26, 2011 - 09:39 PM

Buy directly from Amsoil at Amsoil.com. If you use more than say 12 quarts in a year, you'll be money ahead of buying it out of a shop if you sign up as a preferred customer, even with the $20 fee and the shipping. Then you won't need to go farther than your front porch.

+1.
I order Amsoil this way and it haves money as well as hassle. I believe, being a preferred customer, I can buy one quart at almost half the price of the local dealerships, and there's even more savings to be made buying in bulk.

• humpness

Posted April 26, 2011 - 10:12 PM

For oil filters, I'd probably buy a Scotts Performance stainless steel oil filter, EOYZF. You can easily clean it, and its reuseable.

Anyone sell Amsoil in your town? Here in Sandy, we've got a retired guy I go to church with that has a rack full of different Amsoil products at a convenience store. It's probably not the cheapest way to go, but he's always got MCF there...... :thumbsup:

It sounds like you don't like WalMart? :thumbsup:

It's not the one in Pendleton, by any chance, is it? That one is particularly craptastic......

Jimmie

you guessed it. but in my travels there are worse wally worlds. euphrada wash, salem, hermiston. you follow the trend?

i do have a stainless filter but i wont say which brand because i saw grayracer is around.

• grayracer513

Posted April 27, 2011 - 05:51 AM

+1.
I believe, being a preferred customer, I can buy one quart at almost half the price of the local dealerships, ...

If that's true, your local dealers are running the price up big time. If you go to Amsoil.com and look up MCF without logging into your account, you can see what MSRP is. You're saving around 22-25% off retail.

• rcmxracing

Posted May 09, 2011 - 07:30 AM

Is it not true that synthetics only matter for long duration use meaning that there is no benefit to a synthetic if you change your oil often? Often meaning every couple hours. OBTW I use yamalube semi-syn with a freshly cleaned scotts stainless filter, then the next change leave the filter in and use the regular yamalube. Gray does this sound reasonable? With all the 3 YZ450's I've had I typically change the oil on a 4-6hr basis - I race and ride them hard, never had issues, but that doesn't mean anything really since I didn't put even 100 hours on them. I had read advice in a magazine from one of the Yamaha techs that every 4 hours is all you need. I'm now taking shelter!

• grayracer513

Posted May 09, 2011 - 08:01 AM

I use yamalube semi-syn with a freshly cleaned scotts stainless filter, then the next change leave the filter in and use the regular yamalube. Gray does this sound reasonable?

You do what?

• Yamiryder

Posted May 09, 2011 - 08:16 AM

Is it not true that synthetics only matter for long duration use meaning that there is no benefit to a synthetic if you change your oil often? Often meaning every couple hours. OBTW I use yamalube semi-syn with a freshly cleaned scotts stainless filter, then the next change leave the filter in and use the regular yamalube. Gray does this sound reasonable? With all the 3 YZ450's I've had I typically change the oil on a 4-6hr basis - I race and ride them hard, never had issues, but that doesn't mean anything really since I didn't put even 100 hours on them. I had read advice in a magazine from one of the Yamaha techs that every 4 hours is all you need. I'm now taking shelter!

Why wouldn't you use the same oil every time you change the oil?

• bryawn

Posted May 09, 2011 - 09:24 AM

75% of the wear in an engine happens in the first 5 minutes. Synthetic oils do a much better job of protecting an engine during the crucial warm up period. Therefore, if you want your motor to hold up, only use a quality synthetic oil. Fooling around with cheap non-synthetic oil is just a bad idea -- unless you like replacing engine parts (rather than oil) frequently.

• grayracer513

Posted May 09, 2011 - 09:49 AM

75% of the wear in an engine happens in the first 5 minutes. Synthetic oils do a much better job of protecting an engine during the crucial warm up period.

That's a bit of a two-part myth there, at least partially so.

For one thing, the 75% quote is used to describe normal wear on an automobile engine, and 75% is a bit of a conditional exaggeration. Certainly, cold staring is a problem to be dealt with, but the wear that occurs during startup is not 3 times that which occurs in, for example, the top 8mm of the cylinder during high RPM operation under power in a typical MX four-stroke. Also, the oil has to have the ability to prevent failures under extreme conditions that would not be considered normal wear events.

Secondly, the cold start protection comes from the anti-wear additive package, which can be the same regardless of the base stock the oil is made from, and from using multi-grade oils such as 10w-40's that are thin enough at low temperatures to flow freely and quickly through the oiling system. Multi-grades are also available in both synthetic and natural petroleum based oils.

Synthetics, per se, are no better at cold start protection than petro oils unless you specify Group V esters, which do have the advantage of polar behavior. That is to say that the oil film has a tendency to be attracted to and cling onto metal parts to a greater degree than other oils, so they tend not to drain off completely over time. In other premium oils, the anti-wear additives pretty much take care of this without relying on polarity, but it's a nice feature, nevertheless.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.