Which skid plate to run on 2011 450 SE?

10 replies to this topic
  • motoxpsych

Posted April 18, 2011 - 02:30 PM

I want case protection but only ride on the track. I'm looking at litespeed carbon glide or full coverage skid plate. Also, considering Acerbis Black plastic full coverage skid plate. Of course, works connection aluminum full coverage (swiss cheese look). I want to only use original mount bolts (no clamps). Does anyone have experience with any of the products I mentioned on a 10 or 11 YZ 450?

• foxracr767

Posted April 18, 2011 - 02:58 PM

I have the works connection full skid plate on my 2010. I am really happy with it so far. I ride a mixture of tracks, desert, and endurance races. It has good coverage but still tucks in close and still allows airflow to the engine. It does use clamps for the 2 upper mounts tho and be sure to use plenty of loctite on all the hardware.

• motoxpsych

Posted April 18, 2011 - 04:52 PM

I don't want to have to do and undo those clamps. They are usually a pain to work with. Can you do an oil change without removing the plate?

• Chazmagnum

Posted April 18, 2011 - 05:11 PM

Lightspeed is the only one that uses just the original mounting locations. No dumb crossbar like my gytr:(

• motoxpsych

Posted April 18, 2011 - 09:40 PM

Thanks Chaz. I want to take it on off quickly for my oil changes. 3 bolts seems pretty easy. Clamps, not so much.

Where do you buy the Litespeed full skid plate?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Davey762

Posted April 18, 2011 - 10:37 PM

I use the light speed one! Have to remove it for an oil change but it's not that bad.

• motoman808

Posted April 19, 2011 - 06:56 AM

how thick is the light speed ?is it real beefy ?the part that covers water pump looks weak.oh and the price 200.00

• grayracer513

Posted April 19, 2011 - 07:11 AM

See if Devol or Scorpion make one yet. Their plates for the '06-'09 model use the stock mount points, and they do a good job for a reasonable price.

• norcal_hoss

Posted April 19, 2011 - 07:17 AM

Another option is the new Leo Vince carbon skid plate. It uses the original mounting holes and 3 bolts. Its like the light speed but does not have those slots in it.I like this because it does not allow mud to get in between the skid plate and engine underneath.
I think they are selling them now I received this one to try out. here is there contact info you want to talk to Ted Cambell the race manager.
Here is a photo of it on my bike.
Posted Image
Posted Image

• foxracr767

Posted April 19, 2011 - 02:31 PM

You do have to take the WC plate off for oil changes but the clamps are actually very easy to get back on.

• Chazmagnum

Posted April 19, 2011 - 06:49 PM

I would try rentonmotorcycles.com for a good price on a lightspeed skid plate or glide plate which will save a few bucks, but less protection. Or the Acerbis skid plate, which has good coverage at a fraction of the cost. Yes it has a clamp but it seems to be easy to deal with.

That leo vince looks sweet for offroad!

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.