YZ450F 2010 running problems!

5 replies to this topic
  • dodgydan

Posted April 18, 2011 - 12:49 PM

Hi guys and girls...

Have a 2010 YZ450F and she is running bad...

Bought her like it would seem, long story... she will start up from cold just fine, sometimes popps and bangs out of the silencer, sometimes not, will idle mainly when cold, but will again sometimes when hot, then not and just cut out when revs drop low, hard to re-start, have to give her gas to get her to fire up again, when running if you hold the throttle still say 1/4 will try and keep there but will go up and down the revs slightly, she's just all over the shop, have had her on the power tuner and no faults on that one, "0" mapping on the tuner, now waiting to see if the Yamaha F1 diagnostic will pick anything up....is there anything else that i can try that could be making her run so poor?, not sure if electrical or fuel?, or worse!!...:thumbsup:

Anyone had the same thing happen?, have cleaned fuel tank out and new fuel, checked timing marks for a jumped tooth and all fine, just dont know what to try next!?

Any helpwould be great, thanks.

• DC_Excitement

Posted April 18, 2011 - 03:27 PM

sounds like a sensor could be bad, you really need the diagnostic tool and observe the sensor readings

• dodgydan

Posted April 19, 2011 - 08:55 AM

Hi, yes will get it on this week hopefully.....

I started to strip her down and found this :

Any ideas?, its well corroded/furred up, looks like a type of fuse maybe that all the wires in a big block plugged into, and then a "watertight" < not, cap was over the lot!....if you look to the left, you will see a white plug in the other pics, and a red/orange "seal" that what this was plugged on the end of, there's another one too that was on the opposite side of this one, but was not as furred up, looked like something had burnt a little on it too?, had a look into the Manual and could'nt find any info on it at all, nice!.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brentn

Posted April 19, 2011 - 10:06 AM

Those symptoms sound just like vacuum leaks. Un-metered air entering the system, most likely the rubber boot that connects the throttle body to the head. I would check that for cracks, I would also check to make sure that any gaskets/o-rings for that part are replaced.
Check your MAP sensor connecting hose as well for cracks, it is the right angled hose on the throttle body, over time it will harden and probably crack being so close to the head and all...

Check your valves while your at it, super easy to do on this bike and you should have no reason not to.

btw

Not sure where that connector comes from, but that grease is non-conductive and is meant to keep water out from shorting. I see it all the time in the harness's for my truck for rear lights etc.

• DC_Excitement

Posted April 19, 2011 - 01:50 PM

wow is that connector melted? maybe a short on that circuit?

• dodgydan

Posted April 19, 2011 - 11:58 PM

Those symptoms sound just like vacuum leaks. Un-metered air entering the system, most likely the rubber boot that connects the throttle body to the head. I would check that for cracks, I would also check to make sure that any gaskets/o-rings for that part are replaced.
Check your MAP sensor connecting hose as well for cracks, it is the right angled hose on the throttle body, over time it will harden and probably crack being so close to the head and all...

Check your valves while your at it, super easy to do on this bike and you should have no reason not to.

btw

Not sure where that connector comes from, but that grease is non-conductive and is meant to keep water out from shorting. I see it all the time in the harness's for my truck for rear lights etc.

Hi, thanks for the input, yes i thought the very same but sadly no cracks or leaks found, have checked valves and timing and all spot on, and yes, the grease is MENT to keep water out lol!. The strange thing is i cant find anything out about this connector/plug, anywhere!?...

wow is that connector melted? maybe a short on that circuit?

Hi, the mystery plug its not melted as such, just how i pulled it out and found it!, lots of furr and corrosion tho, so that could not have helped matters i think!, must of been happening over a period of time i would say?, and i'll say too that it must be causing a problem somewhere?, fingers crossed it might have something to do with this whole issue i have atm!, so i'll be cleaning up and re-fitting/checking everything today so will post back findings.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.