Is an exhaust worth getting for a 09 Yz450f?

77 replies to this topic
  • Mr. Neutron

Posted April 19, 2011 - 08:34 PM

They've never been a problem for me, nor for anyone else I know. The plastic free standing ones are worthless except as roost deflectors.

Ditto/+1 on that.....

The aluminum barkbusters/handguards on my 300 KTM kept me from many crashes, broken fingers/hands, & saved my levers in crashes more times than I care to admit. :thumbsup: Plus, if you've ever hit your brake lever on a tree when you didn't have brushguards, you would badly want a set after that....

My 450 will eventually get a set......

Jimmie

• rcdude33

Posted April 20, 2011 - 02:45 AM

I had the metal bark busrters on my yz250 and they were awesome, but im probaly just going to get metal.

And trust me i had some close calls hahahhaa.

Would you guys recomend a flywhel weight or just run it the way it is?

• 2smokeforlife

Posted April 20, 2011 - 04:16 AM

well i guess my buddy must have just been unlucky with his. went down in a turn and his hand ended up between the bar and barkbuster. granted he was going at a good clip ended up breaking his wrist and 3 fingers from his hand getting bound up in them.

• Mr. Neutron

Posted April 20, 2011 - 04:24 AM

Sometimes, ya just have to know when to let go.....

I can see the potential for that to happen, and it's not the first time I've read of it..... That said, I know my barkbusters have saved me from more of those same types of injuries than I can recall, and have caused none..... :thumbsup: I can find many more folks that will tell ya the same thing....

Jimmie

• YZPaGuy

Posted April 20, 2011 - 07:03 AM

And you may have the wrong idea about desert racing if you assume it's all wide open spaces, put it in fifth and pin it stuff. Lots of tight spots, rocky climbs, etc., where the Rekluse really helps you get away with that high first gear.

I'm not down playing a dessert harescramble at all. I know they get nasty too. Just trying to say that the stuff people see on tv with guys 5th gear pinned flying across a wide open plain isn't a harescramble. I've never had my bike above 3rd gear in a harescramble and 3rd gear is rare.

• YZPaGuy

Posted April 20, 2011 - 07:08 AM

dont get the aluminum bark busters that attach into the bar ends. they are arm and wrist breakers. get just the plastic hand guards

The only way to go is with the aluminum ones that bolt to the end of the bar. You will break more fingers and wrists without them then the rare chance your arm is going to get caught up in them. The last race there where literally 20 trees with no bark left on them at handle bar height. The trails are so tight in spots it just isn't avoidable to smack them. Let alone the coutless dollars they save you in levers.

• rcdude33

Posted April 20, 2011 - 07:46 AM

Oh yeah my hands were pretty torn up but like I said we go a set of crycrs down my dealer I work at.

Would you guys recommend those carbon fiber fork guards that guard the bottom of you forks?

• nwbikerider

Posted April 20, 2011 - 07:49 AM

Most definitely do the flywheel weight.

• YZPaGuy

Posted April 20, 2011 - 07:57 AM

I just have the plastic fork guards. Haevn't noticed a damage to them.......YET. LOL
Check the cycras before you buy. They didn't fit my 08 very good at all so I had to take them off and buy a different set.

• rcdude33

Posted April 20, 2011 - 07:59 AM

I just have the plastic fork guards. Haevn't noticed a damage to them.......YET. LOL
Check the cycras before you buy. They didn't fit my 08 very good at all so I had to take them off and buy a different set.

Oh great hahahaha. Well I guess I will order a set then. But I thought to just use the 1 1/8 set?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rcdude33

Posted April 20, 2011 - 08:17 AM

Most definitely do the flywheel weight.

I was thinking that too. How many Oz should I go? 10oz?

• grayracer513

Posted April 20, 2011 - 08:43 AM

Buy the the heavier of the two GYT-R flywheels, or something in the range of 9-12 ounces. Anything lighter is a waste of time. IMO, the GYT-R Off-Road flywheel should have been original equipment.

• primerib108

Posted April 20, 2011 - 09:57 AM

Buy the the heavier of the two GYT-R flywheels, or something in the range of 9-12 ounces. Anything lighter is a waste of time. IMO, the GYT-R Off-Road flywheel should have been original equipment.

I couldn't agree more and I have the 9oz one....it made a world of difference on my YZ.

• rcdude33

Posted April 20, 2011 - 11:21 AM

I couldn't agree more and I have the 9oz one....it made a world of difference on my YZ.

Now somtimes my rear end like to slide a good bit, will the flywheel help me gain more tractiion will help rear tire from breaking loose? Or should i just change my tire because i dont really like the stock tires for woods riding.

• nwbikerider

Posted April 20, 2011 - 10:02 PM

The flywheel will help, but so will your right hand.. Ride the bike more, change stuff as you go. Bolting on a flywheel, and a pipe, and a rekluse, and a cdi, and a new tire, and an o-ring and a .... will not suddenly turn you into a fast rider. Seat time and learning what works with YOU and your bike will.. :thumbsup:

• 2smokeforlife

Posted April 21, 2011 - 04:25 AM

The flywheel will help, but so will your right hand.. Ride the bike more, change stuff as you go. Bolting on a flywheel, and a pipe, and a rekluse, and a cdi, and a new tire, and an o-ring and a .... will not suddenly turn you into a fast rider. Seat time and learning what works with YOU and your bike will.. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: great post. no bolt on part beats seat time...

• rcdude33

Posted April 21, 2011 - 06:13 AM

Your right man i only got like 13 hours on the bike hahaha.

Also i forgot to mention this, i still want to keep my stock system and i may sell it on ebay, so my buddy is going to blow the dent out of my exhaust, with some heat and air, now is the stock header titanium, or is it stainless?

• YZPaGuy

Posted April 21, 2011 - 02:49 PM

The flywheel will be best thing to start with. The rear tire will help but that 450 is a beast and the throttle is so touchy when your in the woods. I rode mine for three months before I started making changes. I wanted to find out what I hated about the bike before I changed it. Now I know what I hate about it and more importantly I can tell what each change I make to the bike does.

Most of the changes I have done have been improvements but a few where not so those brand new parts just came off. LOL

The Cyrca 1 1/8 clamps don't bolt up right and the aluminum bar rides tight on the brake cable. If you have a good fall I will shear the line right off. You need a set of clamps that are made for the taper in your bars. I can't remember which ones I have now but I can let you know next week when I get my bike back. Maybe Cyra makes the right clamps that will get everything in the right place but the set I have don't. I'll sell my set to you for $100 bucks. LOL

Another bad change was going up to a 52 tooth rear. It helped with the stalling but put too much torque to the rear. It broke loose even worse which wasn't worth the offset.

Another bad thing was water wetter. I flushed my radiator and put straight water with water wetter in it because it makes it run cooler. Only problem was the boil temp went way down and the bike would boil over after 45 seconds of sitting at idle. I just run straight Honda antifreeze and the problem has gone away.

Along the lines of the over heating, I forgot to mention in the PM's I put a set of Crycra Power Flow plastics on the bike. The guys from Cycra did extensive testing with the YZ's and thier radiator shrouds cool the motor 8 to 10 degrees. I went with the full set. I figured for running slow tight stuff any little bit will help the bike.

Have fun with it. Great bike with a few cheap adjustments.

• rcdude33

Posted April 21, 2011 - 05:20 PM

The flywheel will be best thing to start with. The rear tire will help but that 450 is a beast and the throttle is so touchy when your in the woods. I rode mine for three months before I started making changes. I wanted to find out what I hated about the bike before I changed it. Now I know what I hate about it and more importantly I can tell what each change I make to the bike does.

Most of the changes I have done have been improvements but a few where not so those brand new parts just came off. LOL

The Cyrca 1 1/8 clamps don't bolt up right and the aluminum bar rides tight on the brake cable. If you have a good fall I will shear the line right off. You need a set of clamps that are made for the taper in your bars. I can't remember which ones I have now but I can let you know next week when I get my bike back. Maybe Cyra makes the right clamps that will get everything in the right place but the set I have don't. I'll sell my set to you for $100 bucks. LOL

Another bad change was going up to a 52 tooth rear. It helped with the stalling but put too much torque to the rear. It broke loose even worse which wasn't worth the offset.

Another bad thing was water wetter. I flushed my radiator and put straight water with water wetter in it because it makes it run cooler. Only problem was the boil temp went way down and the bike would boil over after 45 seconds of sitting at idle. I just run straight Honda antifreeze and the problem has gone away.

Along the lines of the over heating, I forgot to mention in the PM's I put a set of Crycra Power Flow plastics on the bike. The guys from Cycra did extensive testing with the YZ's and thier radiator shrouds cool the motor 8 to 10 degrees. I went with the full set. I figured for running slow tight stuff any little bit will help the bike.

Have fun with it. Great bike with a few cheap adjustments.

Thanks man!!!! By any chance do you know what the stocker header is made out of?

• primerib108

Posted April 21, 2011 - 05:54 PM

Now somtimes my rear end like to slide a good bit, will the flywheel help me gain more tractiion will help rear tire from breaking loose? Or should i just change my tire because i dont really like the stock tires for woods riding.

Yes.....fww will help traction for sure. My 06 seemed to have an almost violent hit in the mid-range and the weight smoothed things out for me. dropped a couple teeth in the rear to broaden the gear range because I have to worry less of stalling. IMO it is the best bang for your buck mod.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.