Is an exhaust worth getting for a 09 Yz450f?

77 replies to this topic
  • Gunner354

Posted April 18, 2011 - 07:08 PM

no he had a EFI:banghead: last year. it is a vary good mod. you can also spend 30 from Tokyo mod for the same thing. it just a stiffer accelerator pump spring

My bad I meant in 09

• rcdude33

Posted April 18, 2011 - 07:10 PM

:thumbsup:

One of the last things I would do is the oring mod. Can't believe anyone would do such a hack mod. Do you think Bubba had this done on his 450 last year? Don't think so.:cheers::thumbsup:

I did the oring mod about 2 days ago and man what a difference. But still i need to rejet no mater what.

But i have been looking on ebay for the 06 cdi and i cant find nothing but i guess im going to have to wait.

I'm either looking to get the DRD or the fmf 4.1 with the megabomb header.

I was also looking on yoshis site but is the Rs2 a good pipe or should i just stick with drd and fmf.

I'm also thinking about a rekluse but i only ridden a 250f with one, and i thought it was pretty neat but i kept pulling in my clutch going around a tight bend. About the rekluse, can you adjust it like where you want it to engage? I heard of people saying that they can make it like "slip" itself when ever coming out of a bend?

• 2smokeforlife

Posted April 18, 2011 - 07:13 PM

yoshi, PC, FMF, DRD, MRD, akrapovic, pic one. i think i will try the MRD slip on if i ruin my FMF powercore 4 i have heard vary good things about them, and they are a sponsor on here.

• Gunner354

Posted April 18, 2011 - 07:35 PM

I did the oring mod about 2 days ago and man what a difference. But still i need to rejet no mater what.

But i have been looking on ebay for the 06 cdi and i cant find nothing but i guess im going to have to wait.

I'm either looking to get the DRD or the fmf 4.1 with the megabomb header.

I was also looking on yoshis site but is the Rs2 a good pipe or should i just stick with drd and fmf.

I'm also thinking about a rekluse but i only ridden a 250f with one, and i thought it was pretty neat but i kept pulling in my clutch going around a tight bend. About the rekluse, can you adjust it like where you want it to engage? I heard of people saying that they can make it like "slip" itself when ever coming out of a bend?

That's why I bought 4 06cdi's on eBay before this mod got real popular.
As far as the Rekluse, I feel it is a must have in any type of riding. They are that good.
I don't care if the oring helped, it still not the right way to do it. It's a hack job way.

• Jim813

Posted April 18, 2011 - 07:51 PM

I haven't tried either the Dr.D or FMF exhaust on a 06-09 YZ450f. I chose to purchase a LeoVince complete stainless system. I chose the LeoVince for their built quality, sound levels, and willingness to stand behind their products (They have also really stepped up and supported local-national racing organizations). It adds power everywhere, and fills in the low end the stock pipe lost, but is very smooth and linear. It may not be the most powerful system, but I've yet to see a pipe with better built quality and durability (Akrapovic is comparable but much more expensive). I've never seen a LeoVince exhaust fall apart, but can't say the same for either FMF or Dr.D.

• rcdude33

Posted April 19, 2011 - 02:52 AM

That's why I bought 4 06cdi's on eBay before this mod got real popular.
As far as the Rekluse, I feel it is a must have in any type of riding. They are that good.
I don't care if the oring helped, it still not the right way to do it. It's a hack job way.

You want to send me a 06 cdi? :thumbsup:

Im just kidding but im just going to keep looking. Now if i do this mod will it really affect the reliability of my bike?

• rcdude33

Posted April 19, 2011 - 02:54 AM

yoshi, PC, FMF, DRD, MRD, akrapovic, pic one. i think i will try the MRD slip on if i ruin my FMF powercore 4 i have heard vary good things about them, and they are a sponsor on here.

Now people have told me to go MRD, are they like the same quality as fmf? But only reason i ask is because i heard that their prices were pretty good

• 2smokeforlife

Posted April 19, 2011 - 03:53 AM

yes mrd is vary high quality. there pipes are hand made. priced perfect. and they are a TT sponsor

• crf450319

Posted April 19, 2011 - 05:14 AM

Now if i do this mod will it really affect the reliability of my bike?

The CDI swap WILL NOT affect the reliability of your bike what-so-ever. And like I said before, any aftermarket system will make a very noticeable power increase, trying to figure out which is best is more a matter of personal preference.

I haven't had a MRD pipe, but I would guess that their build quality might be better than FMF ?

As far as the Rekluse goes, my buddy has one and although I think they're somewhat interesting I always ask if he's running his "spode" (noob, flake, sissy etc. etc) clutch. This is just my personal opinion, but I think an automatic clutch is something that should be saved for the 50's that my 4 & 5 year old ride. What's next, traction control, or maybe a sensor that cuts the throttle if the front end comes up ?:thumbsup: There are a lot of people that like them though...

• grayracer513

Posted April 19, 2011 - 06:20 AM

As far as the Rekluse goes, my buddy has one and although I think they're somewhat interesting I always ask if he's running his "spode" (noob, flake, sissy etc. etc) clutch. This is just my personal opinion, but I think an automatic clutch is something that should be saved for the 50's that my 4 & 5 year old ride. What's next, traction control, or maybe a sensor that cuts the throttle if the front end comes up ?:thumbsup: There are a lot of people that like them though...

The Rekluse definitely has its place. Owning one, I doubt I'd be interested in it for MX or any other kind of track riding, but for the tighter, slower, more challenging sections that get tossed into a lot of the desert races, it really helps.

As far as all that other stuff, I don't know if you realize it, but there are actually a lot of traction control systems in place in automotive road racing, and some of the World's best drivers use them. (a ZO6/ZR1 Corvette is almost undrivable without it turned on to the first level) 4 wheel ABS systems are nearly universal in many forms of racing, too. Turning your nose up at such stuff is like being a fighter pilot and saying you don't want anything to do with radar guided missiles or self leading gun sights.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gunner354

Posted April 19, 2011 - 07:24 AM

The Rekluse definitely has its place. Owning one, I doubt I'd be interested in it for MX or any other kind of track riding, but for the tighter, slower, more challenging sections that get tossed into a lot of the desert races, it really helps.

As far as all that other stuff, I don't know if you realize it, but there are actually a lot of traction control systems in place in automotive road racing, and some of the World's best drivers use them. (a ZO6/ZR1 Corvette is almost undrivable without it turned on to the first level) 4 wheel ABS systems are nearly universal in many forms of racing, too. Turning your nose up at such stuff is like being a fighter pilot and saying you don't want anything to do with radar guided missiles or self leading gun sights.

Well said Gray. I would just like to add that my brother used a Rekluse for motocross and loved it. Helps in many ways there also.
And to the guy saying it is for old people and young kids is just plain being ignorant and closed minded and once again making a judgement with zero experience. I just don't understand that point of view!

• rcdude33

Posted April 19, 2011 - 08:33 AM

Sweet thanks to all the info guys!!!!!! I have to finish paying my bike off but that won't be long.

But I'm going to look into the rekluse, exhaust and 06 cdi.

Would you guys recomend carbon fiber for a skid plate or aluminum?

There's so many things I want to get but I only have some much cash at a time. I think I'm going to get the exhaust and cdi first then down the road the rekluse. Hahahaha

Any other ideas?

• Danger16

Posted April 19, 2011 - 09:12 AM

Turning your nose up at such stuff is like being a fighter pilot and saying you don't want anything to do with radar guided missiles or self leading gun sights.

Grey,

Are you a fighter pilot by any chance? Just wondering since this is a great quote!

• crf450319

Posted April 19, 2011 - 10:19 AM

Me turning my nose up at an auto-clutch won't get me killed, can't say the same about ignoring radar technology in a fighter jet.

I am very familiar with traction control, I started road-racing before I'd ever owned a dirt bike and it's becoming more and more mainstream. What was new when I last road-raced was slipper clutches, they worked great but at the same time they take something away from the art of riding. You need less skill to go as fast, plain and simply.

And to the guy saying it is for old people and young kids is just plain being ignorant and closed minded and once again making a judgement with zero experience. I just don't understand that point of view!

Whoa whoa, hang on there. #1) As I stated, that is my personal opinion - like it or don't, it makes no difference to me and should be the same for you. I DID NOT say they don't have their place, I don't ride trails - I ride MX. They might be the best thing since sliced bread in the trails, and that's great. But, IMO part of the skill of riding a dirt bike on a track requires the knowledge/appropriate use of the clutch, if you automate that.. well like I said, why not go with a sensor/system to keep the front end down ? And yes I've had experience with riding a Rekluse equipped bike, don't remember saying I didn't have any.. but none the less.

There's no need to get upset about this, there great for some people... just not me :thumbsup:

• YZPaGuy

Posted April 19, 2011 - 11:30 AM

But I ride woods and I'm going to be racing harescrambles, and I need more low end snap and more mid range. The top is good but I mainly need more low and mid.

Alex

Ok, don't take this the wrong way but I have a question.

1) Have you ever raced a harescramble? Have you ever seen a harescramble track?

I race harescrambles with an 08 YZ450f. THE LAST THING I NEED MORE LOW END! I am actually considering going with a different bike just because of that. It's great in the starts and wide open stuff but anything tight or sloppy it is the worst bike to be on. That back tire wants to break loose by just breathing on the throttle. Now I will admit I am not a pro rider or anything but even everyone I talked to says the same thing. Harescrambles are not trail rides, there is some nasty tight stuff in them.

I have done a ton of work to mine, in fact it's in the shop getting ready for the next race now. I don't know what flywheel comes in the 09 but by far the best thing I did to my bike is buy the heaviest flywheel they make for it. It was night and day difference. You can't compare a MX race to a harescramble. 2 totally different animals.

If you want to know what I did to mine send me a pm. Basically if you want to run a scramble you need to 1) get a new set of tires, the stock ones won't work, 2) cut you handle bars down, trust me 3) heavier flywheel(depending on stock weight) 4) Bark busters, no doubt 5)skid plate, if you value your engine.

The 450's are allot to handle in the woods. I'm 6'2" 215 and it tires me out.

Once I get the bike back, this time, I am going to decide if I am going to keep it. If I am it will get a rekluse. Don't listen to the guys that say they are sissy clutches. All and I mean all the top 25 GNCC pro's use one. Argue with that? Pa isn't dessert racing and this ain't no mx track.

• grayracer513

Posted April 19, 2011 - 11:58 AM

And you may have the wrong idea about desert racing if you assume it's all wide open spaces, put it in fifth and pin it stuff. Lots of tight spots, rocky climbs, etc., where the Rekluse really helps you get away with that high first gear.

• rcdude33

Posted April 19, 2011 - 06:14 PM

Ok, don't take this the wrong way but I have a question.

1) Have you ever raced a harescramble? Have you ever seen a harescramble track?

I race harescrambles with an 08 YZ450f. THE LAST THING I NEED MORE LOW END! I am actually considering going with a different bike just because of that. It's great in the starts and wide open stuff but anything tight or sloppy it is the worst bike to be on. That back tire wants to break loose by just breathing on the throttle. Now I will admit I am not a pro rider or anything but even everyone I talked to says the same thing. Harescrambles are not trail rides, there is some nasty tight stuff in them.

I have done a ton of work to mine, in fact it's in the shop getting ready for the next race now. I don't know what flywheel comes in the 09 but by far the best thing I did to my bike is buy the heaviest flywheel they make for it. It was night and day difference. You can't compare a MX race to a harescramble. 2 totally different animals.

If you want to know what I did to mine send me a pm. Basically if you want to run a scramble you need to 1) get a new set of tires, the stock ones won't work, 2) cut you handle bars down, trust me 3) heavier flywheel(depending on stock weight) 4) Bark busters, no doubt 5)skid plate, if you value your engine.

The 450's are allot to handle in the woods. I'm 6'2" 215 and it tires me out.

Once I get the bike back, this time, I am going to decide if I am going to keep it. If I am it will get a rekluse. Don't listen to the guys that say they are sissy clutches. All and I mean all the top 25 GNCC pro's use one. Argue with that? Pa isn't dessert racing and this ain't no mx track.

I have seen a harescrambl but i never raced on one. But i do ride a lot of singletrack and stuff. But i just got the bike about 3 weeks ago, and im more than happy for what i have.

But i just want to try a race, just to see how i do, but i got to get the bike payed off and i want to get some skids and some other protective stuff for it, and i still need bark busters!:thumbsup:

Also i saw there was 2 rekluses, a z-start pro and a Exp? Now would the woods guys use the z-start? Or can can I use the exp?

• 2smokeforlife

Posted April 19, 2011 - 06:28 PM

I have seen a harescrambl but i never raced on one. But i do ride a lot of singletrack and stuff. But i just got the bike about 3 weeks ago, and im more than happy for what i have.

But i just want to try a race, just to see how i do, but i got to get the bike payed off and i want to get some skids and some other protective stuff for it, and i still need bark busters!:thumbsup:

Also i saw there was 2 rekluses, a z-start pro and a Exp? Now would the woods guys use the z-start? Or can can I use the exp?

dont get the aluminum bark busters that attach into the bar ends. they are arm and wrist breakers. get just the plastic hand guards

• rcdude33

Posted April 19, 2011 - 06:31 PM

dont get the aluminum bark busters that attach into the bar ends. they are arm and wrist breakers. get just the plastic hand guards

Really? I thoight the plastic hand guards would snap if you hit a tree or something. Well its better than have you bars bent or anything else right hahahaha.

Also im running engine ice in it as well.

• grayracer513

Posted April 19, 2011 - 08:16 PM

dont get the aluminum bark busters that attach into the bar ends. they are arm and wrist breakers.

They've never been a problem for me, nor for anyone else I know. The plastic free standing ones are worthless except as roost deflectors.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.