yz 400F trick to start??

4 replies to this topic
  • jeepguy74

Posted April 17, 2011 - 09:22 PM

this thing is a bear to kick over seams like i cant kick through the compression..

EX, top of compression stroke kick and before i get through the sweep its like the compression stops me about half or 3/4 through the kick

to be clear the bike isnt seized it just seams like i cant kick it hard enough to get through the next stroke

any tips on the correct way to start this thing lol

i remember when i had the xr 600 there was a easy way to start it..
and a hard way lol

thanks in advance

• YamahaDoc

Posted April 17, 2011 - 10:22 PM

this thing is a bear to kick over seams like i cant kick through the compression..

EX, top of compression stroke kick and before i get through the sweep its like the compression stops me about half or 3/4 through the kick

to be clear the bike isnt seized it just seams like i cant kick it hard enough to get through the next stroke

any tips on the correct way to start this thing lol

i remember when i had the xr 600 there was a easy way to start it..
and a hard way lol

thanks in advance

Kick slowly without the compression release pulled, till it gets REALLY hard!...

Pull in compression release lever, and kick past hard spot 10-15 degrees VERY SOFTLY just slowly push down...

release compression release lever return kickstarter to full upright pos. and kick through all the way! not quick and "jab-like" like you would on a 2 smoker. but full and fluid like a 4 stroke:)

should start... remember no throttle. are you using the decompression lever at all now?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jeepguy74

Posted April 17, 2011 - 10:57 PM

well to be honest i wasnt using the de comp at all...never did on m 600 and it seamed to start easier that way but with it i had to put all of my 165# ass into it... ill give this way a shot in the morning

• brentn

Posted April 17, 2011 - 11:02 PM

There's a vid in the FAQ I believe as well you might want to check out if you want to actually see how it's done.

• SledParty

Posted April 17, 2011 - 11:13 PM

Hey JeepGuy, I recently got a yz400 also and using the decomp was completely new to me. I have had several bikes before this one that had the compression release levers but never felt like I needed them like I do with this bike. This is from the sticky in the forum:

How to Start a YZ426 (Video with Doug Dubach- Special Thanks to Yamaha Motors, and all the Good People at Dubach Racing Development)
(Requires QuickTime, or a player that will handle QT videos)
Part 1: (Cold Start) http://www.yamaha-mo...troke_vid_a.mpg
Part 2: (Hot Start) http://www.yamaha-mo...troke_vid_b.mpg

I hated the thought of using the decomp, made me feel like less of a man so I would just power through it but I'm afraid on this bike (yz400) that I'm going to break off the kick starter or sheer off the gears inside the motor from having to use so much down force without the decomp. I started using the decomp just to get use to it and now I almost never start the bike without it (only usually when kick starting in a roll after a stall) Honestly it's only been a week and using the decomp is second nature now.

Good luck and enjoy your yz!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.