YZ426 engine blowing problems?

30 replies to this topic
  • reed_YZ426

Posted May 01, 2001 - 06:52 PM

sorry for posting another one guys. but you know its alot of money to buy a new bike. so i really need to feel confident about making this purcahse. i was reading the forum once again and i guess a few people have had an engine blow. is this on the 2000 model or 2001 model? i want the bike to be flawless if im gonna get it. and it being brand new. if its gonna have problems like the engine blowing already i wont get it. i can udnerstand a spark plug fouling. but anything else is to extreme to have to pay for on the side of a $7,000 payment. because thats how much its gonna cost. well anyway thanks for taking time to read up on my blaboring felluhs. i appriceate all your feedback and help. god bless, and ride safe

-reed

• reed_YZ426

Posted May 01, 2001 - 09:13 PM

and one more thing, sorry guys. this is a dumb question. but how do you know when to shift on the 426? or...is it hard to do? or learn? ive rode 2stroke ever sence i started riding. and if this bike ends up being ok without problems then its the bike im going for. i want one badly if you cant tell

• DaveJ

Posted May 01, 2001 - 09:47 PM

Reed,

I don't think I would say the 400/426 is more reliable than a YZ250, but I think I can say with reasonable confidence that you won't have any problems.

As for shifting, you'll know. The power band on any bike diminishes at certain RPMs and that's when it's time to shift. However, you'll also find the bike a lot more forgiving, meaning that you can leave it in third just about all day and be happy.

DaveJ

• daveyg

Posted May 01, 2001 - 09:58 PM

Reed,

From my experience and from what I have read, the 01 426 looks to be a more reliable machine than the 00. They have made several small revisions to complete a package that was "almost" complete. So, if it were me, I'd go ahead and buy the 01 if you must have a four stroker right now. Otherwise, it's wait time for the Honda CR450F. The four strokes require a little more maintenance, but they sure are fun.

Oh, and DaveJ is right on about the shifting. You will know. The bike gets into the "meat" of the power and you just keep it going by catching another gear. The four strokes can be lugged into the corners in 2nd and 3rd much moreso than a 2stroker since they have a wonderful abundance of low end power. Best of luck.

• reed_YZ426

Posted May 01, 2001 - 10:12 PM

i thought the Four strokers were less maintenance. besides cleaning the oil filter and changing the oil and that being it.

• YZ426_Kicks

Posted May 02, 2001 - 03:21 AM

Hey Reed!

I know I'm gonna get blasted for saying this, but I am being very frank here. I share your exact ( only 8 months ago )position and just want to say this:

Think very long and hard about buying into Yamaha. Again, I say this-Think very long and hard about buying into Yamaha. Your not just buying the product, your buying what comes along with it-

The YZ426 is my first bike, and I've had nothing but nightmares with it. All you have to do is read my comments in this forum, and you'll have read " War and Peace " 20 times over. Exuberance in youth-Yes, but a solid foundation none the less.

Don't ever think you're gonna find a bike that is mechanically or cosmetically perfect. Let me say right now-ain't gonna happen McGee! The '00 or '01 YZ426F is no exception to this rule!

I have no objections to maintanenance. In fact, that's how I've learned so much about this bike. But one thing is for sure-it is labor intensive. It is not an enduro style, it is an MX with mechanical requirements. I cannot say to any degree +/- how it is over a 2 stroker because I've never owned one. I will say this: Basic maintenance gets easier and easier as you become more familiar with the bikes assembly. It becomes rather fun to do the maintenance, and does add a little pride and self satisfaction!

I respect the feelings of others in this forum. The wisdom they have gained over the years far surpasses my measily 8 months, so they may feel different, but after reading everyone's issues with hubs, sprockets, gas tanks, clutches, gearboxes, crankcases, fouling plugs, etc. and Yamaha's less than friendly customer (dis)service. I would highly suggest that you stay away from the 426 4 stroke. I also suggest waiting on the new YZ4whatever before diving into that endeavor.

I say this only because of the lack of any consistancy Yamaha has shown in supporting its customers. As an example-DaveyG eats $800 on a gearbox not even his fault, then has to sell his 2000 because of lack of faith in its reliability/durability and might I add at a loss. I've shelled out $500.00 on a clutch replacement ( results pending ). READ other forums and see how countless others are shelling out $$$ for repairs that are not owner error.

Then you have to fight, fight, fight to get some kinda restitution!

Not to mention:

Writer's cramp from letters
Paper cuts from folding letters
Blisters on the fingers from Dialing Yamaha
Cricked necks for long hold times.
Ringing in the ears from constant busy signals.
Oh wait, I forgot, Yamaha Customer Service closes 12:30 - 1:30 for lunch.
And, Im sorry but the bike only has a 30-Day warranty-you lose!

You spend more time with Yamaha Corp, than using their product!

The issue is more Yamaha Corp Policy towards its customers than the quality of the bike.

Yes, I enjoyed my 2000 YZ when she worked right. But I've learned through hard knocks, that where there is smoke, there definitely is fire!I won't say other Yammie products are bad, or problematic. I don't know that. I also admit that not everyone has had an issue with their 426's. But just as the 2000 model is plagued, the 2001 is having its mechanical issues too!

Save your money! Wait for the CR450F, or really, really do your homework. Sift through the fact/fiction of this site, talk to owners, go to moto's and talk. Do everything you can before you plunk that cash down! Do not let brand loyalty blind you. Make an educated decision.

If you choose the YZ426 '01 - I wish you all the best!

An informed decision is the best decision!

God Bless!

Randy
YZ426 Kicks!

• JBM

Posted May 02, 2001 - 05:43 AM

Point taken, but let's not forget about the hundreds of 426 owners like me who have not had a single problem. I've had my 2000 426 since December 1999 and it's been perfect.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 02, 2001 - 05:59 AM

If you follow this forum it's obviously not every owner in the world on here. There are a lot of the same people over and over in these messages. This forum is also kinda like the news, you never here about the good, only the bad. I have a 99' YZ400 and wouldn't trade it for the world. I change oil every other ride and check the valves occasionally. My friend has a 98' with the same experiences. I have not had any problems other then flat tires, bent bars, chain/sprocket replacment. These are needed on ALL bikes. Everyone here talks of jetting changes, exhaust changes, timing changes, and this and that. I don't touch my bike, it's stock except for suspension mods and I can keep up with any bike on the track unless they are a better rider. I actually feel that all these people tinkering with their bike to get ever pony out of it and make sure it's perfect are the ones having problems. I don't work on mine, I just ride it. When it does break you probably will see a post on here from me asking ?'s but I won't blame Yamaha for normal wear problems. Heck if I'd bought a 2stroke I probably would have went through 2 top ends already but my bike and my friends 98' are still running as good as day one.

My 2 cents.

------------------
Khris
When in doubt, GAS IT!
What are you, YELLOW?

• Blake_Fisher

Posted May 02, 2001 - 06:06 AM

I see what you mean. I really thought about the 426 or the 01 CR. I made the right decision with the 426. The only problem I had was that I fouled a plug while I was breaking it in and I have had no trouble ever since.

• bashn

Posted May 02, 2001 - 06:34 AM

I've owned 3 YZF's now, a '98 YZF400, '99 YZF400, and now a '01 YZ250F. I will say I experienced plug fouling problems with the 400's. Getting past that, no mechanical problems, just routine maintainance. I seen all brands blow up for various reasons, but the only thing I've seen beyond normal is Yamaha hubs, 2s or 4s. I am interested in the Honda 450F, but Honda's suspension and aluminum frame have dissapointed me in the past. I'm waiting for the smoke to clear before I decide between the new YZ or CR.

Mark
'01 YZ250F
'00 DRZ400

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Amador

Posted May 02, 2001 - 06:39 AM

Hey 426 Kicks!

I certainly understand your position. If you bike isn't working out for you, it's only natural for you to be disillusioned. However,(and not to sound like a prick) your comment about waiting for the cr450f is just plain ignorant. This bike hasn't even so much as been tested outside of Honda's hands! Even Honda factory riders have been quoted as saying that they will have to wait and see a proven track record before they race one. I know as well as the next guy that Honda puts out a quality product, but come on? Saying that you would reccomend buying a bike that you have never seen, ridden, heard or even read about substantialy is nuts! I for one will be stoked to see some additional comp. for Yamaha, it can only improve bike technology. I hope the Honda is what it's hyped up to be. But until then it's just that, Hype.

Oh, and just for the record-

My 00' 426 hasn't even so much as fouled a plug in the year that I've owned it. My gets let loose twice a week, and I've changed the plug once! Just because I felt like I should!
I highly reccomend this bike however, If it were me and I was looking for a new bike with the new models coming out so soon, I'd probably wait to see what hits.

Peace-

• Ga426owner

Posted May 02, 2001 - 07:15 AM

My 2 cents:
I have owned 4 YZF's. 1-99, 2-2000's 1-2001
Also have a 2001 WR426.
The 99 was perfect no problems, no fouling
The 1st 2000 had the clutch basket failure
which Yamaha replaced for free after the warranty period. I put a hinson in the 2nd -2000. No fouling of plugs
The 2001 is flawless so far - BULLET PROOF
My Wr426 2001 after 3 rides tore up the Magneto & Stator, which I am trying to get Yamaha to replace as I type.
So, what have I learned? That there are lemons & perfection. I think I have been pretty darn lucky. The dealers in my area, take care of the product, because I am loyal to them. You all face the same reality. If you buy used, buy from a trusted source. Be it a dealer or someone like me that takes care of their own stuff. Be smart in your purchase, have someone who knows about 4-stroke yamahas, look over the bike. Check the oil condition & seals, etc...Remember, that it is a 50/50 deal all the time & that anytime something can break. You will repurchase a bike that you have had good luck
from. I will NEVER EVER buy a Suzuki, KTM or Husky or Seadoo PWC,because they have all been notorious for breaking a lot, crappy support from the manufacturer, costing a lot of money in upkeep from personal experience. So you decide.

• YZ426_Kicks

Posted May 02, 2001 - 08:16 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Amador:
[B]Hey 426 Kicks!

I certainly understand your position. If you bike isn't working out for you, it's only natural for you to be disillusioned. However,(and not to sound like a prick) your comment about waiting for the cr450f is just plain ignorant. This bike hasn't even so much as been tested outside of Honda's hands! Even Honda factory riders have been quoted as saying that they will have to wait and see a proven track record before they race one. I know as well as the next guy that Honda puts out a quality product, but come on? Saying that you would reccomend buying a bike that you have never seen, ridden, heard or even read about substantialy is nuts!

Hey There!

I will NEVER chastise anyone for their feelings or opinions. I take no offense-but I NEVER recommended the CR450F. I said "wait" for it. Just as I explained about the Yamaha's, the same holds true for Honda's, Kowies, Suziki's, KTM's and Cannondales-research, research, research!

How could I possibly recommend something I've never seen, ridin', handled or even thought about pursuing? That's ridiculous! The message is that Reed has a two stroke, and wants to move up to a 4 banger! Okay- wait, and play the field before shelling out $7000! Haste makes Waste!

To all my brothers who own YZ400's, 250's, WR's, and all other Yammie models other than 426's-I didn't say one negative thing about those models. I am sure they are great, but Reed needs to know how Yamaha is handling customer issues with 426 owners. All my comments are directed towards the 426, and no other.

Im not experienced enough to come right out and recommend this bike or that bike. What I am experienced on is a manufacturer, for whatever reason, took my $5300.00 and has never looked back.

If I'm dillusioned because I have reasonable expectations of reliability ( not perfection ), not exceeding normal wear and tear, then I guess I'm against the grain.

Oh well...

Best wishes Reed!

God Bless you All!

Randy
YZ426 Kicks

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 02, 2001 - 08:43 AM

YZ426 kicks,

I understand what you're saying. From my experience in this forum it seems that there are good and bad apples in the YZ production line. It's luck of draw which one you get so your experience may be great (in my case) or bad (in your case). Honestly it's good to know how unhelpfull YMC is because I wouldn't know since I've had good luck. Good luck with your battle. I think Yamaha should back their product if it is obviously a production problem.

------------------
Khris
When in doubt, GAS IT!
What are you, YELLOW?

• daveyg

Posted May 02, 2001 - 10:24 AM

Reed,

Yes, the four strokes are suppose to be less maintenance, but in some case can be more. Aside from oil and filter changes, you just need to do the regular maintenance just as you would to a two stroke. Two stroke require some top end maintenance much sooner than the fours, so you won't need to crack the motor on the 426 for any reason. Just to clarify and clear some things up Reed, Kicks had an 00 426 and so did I. The problems that most people are reporting with clutches, gearboxes, rear hubs, etc... are 00 related. So, go get the 01, say a few hail mary's, christen the bike with a set of pro tapers, and ride it till the sun goes down. Cheers.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 02, 2001 - 10:29 AM

Mr. Reed,
If your considering a fun and powerful bike, I would seriously consider the 2001 WR426. It's even more forgiving at low speed and with the throttle stop removed you get the best of both worlds! Just my 2 cents
Dennis :)

• Amador

Posted May 02, 2001 - 10:51 AM

426 kicks,

I apologize if I offended you. I did not mean any harm. Perhaps "ignorant" is not the proper word for what I was trying to express.
I just find it amazing that so many people that I've talked to are so quick to jump ship. I've heard comments like "I'm selling my YZF while it's still worth something!" I read the Cycle Trader every two weeks just to see what is out there, and every since the Honda won the four stroke nationals, The thing has been flooded with 426's for sale!! Hey, if the Honda proves to be a better bike than the 426, I will be the first one in line when I'm ready for a new bike. I'm guessing that the Honda will be a good bike, but I'm sure not going to bet my bike on it. Anyway, Please don't take offense to my earlier comments. I'm just lookin' for a little 426 love!

Regards-

• reed_YZ426

Posted May 02, 2001 - 12:17 PM

awesome, thanks for all your help guys i appriceate it. i was very excited to read what everyone had to say. i woke up and checked my email and there was like 13 new messages posted. my mouth dropped all the way to the ground. i guess if im going to get a new bike ill have to hire an exorcist lol. that will take care of it.

• YZ426_Kicks

Posted May 02, 2001 - 05:35 PM

Originally posted by Amador:
426 kicks,

I apologize if I offended you. I did not mean any harm. Perhaps "ignorant" is not the proper word for what I was trying to express.
I just find it amazing that so many people that I've talked to are so quick to jump ship. I've heard comments like "I'm selling my YZF while it's still worth something!" I read the Cycle Trader every two weeks just to see what is out there, and every since the Honda won the four stroke nationals, The thing has been flooded with 426's for sale!! Hey, if the Honda proves to be a better bike than the 426, I will be the first one in line when I'm ready for a new bike. I'm guessing that the Honda will be a good bike, but I'm sure not going to bet my bike on it. Anyway, Please don't take offense to my earlier comments. I'm just lookin' for a little 426 love!

Regards-

Amador,

You haven't offended me! Not in the least! I too want a little YZ426 love! I just put new D755's front/rear on the bike and I am just one simple little bolt away from trying out the new Hinson basket, new clutch packs, new friction plates, new clutch cable, '01 upgrade parts and Mobil 1 15-50 oil.

I do enjoy the 426 when she runs right. It tears the trails to pieces and really loves the mud! Boy does she love the mud! I can't wait to see what the 755's do!

I will be posting a follow-up to the clutch series I've had in here, and I will be so excited if the bike works!

I just wanna ride!
I just wanna ride!
I just wanna ride!

Take care, and God Bless!

Randy
YZ426 Kicks

• Ontario_Rider

Posted May 02, 2001 - 06:17 PM

Just my opionion... but I think if you want a bike that is trouble free.. buy a XR400. Won't be nearly as snappy. But it will run a lot longer between hastles.

My motor blew up and it cost me 1500 bucks just for parts. Crank, conecting rod, oil pump, oil rotor, piston, seal and o-ring kit. Etc...

Mine was kinda self induced to an extent.. I am or was addicted to riding very long wheelies .. and all the time on one wheel I was told I was starving it from oil. The pickup at the bottom wasn't getting any oil cuz it was at the back of the case. (was what I was told) And from the diagram in the manual looks accurate.

BUT... I love my bike.. it's awesome.. makes me smile just thinking about it.. It starts EASY and oil changes however frequent are realitively easy to do. Gas consumption is great compared to revving the crap out of your 2 strokes to go the same speed. Can go twice as long on a tank. And the bike hauls. :)

I want to buy the 450f just cuz the 426 is so quick.

Yes Yamaha's customer support SUCKS.. they can bite me.. told me sorry about my luck.. and they would give me no help with my engine parts. So in a way I wish Honda built the 426.. or someone else.. cuz I have nothing good to say about them. Other than the bike runs strong.

Just my oppinion guys..

Cyah..
Jody
Ontario, Canada
(email) jody@maynardfarms.com

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.