crankshaft main bearings yz 426

5 replies to this topic
  • salemonkey

Posted April 16, 2011 - 05:16 PM

im currently rebuilding my 02 yz426 becuase my rod bearing siezed on me.(just sent my crank out to mr. crankshaft) i got a few questions first; has anyone used these hot rods bearings for the main crankshaft bearings http://cgi.ebay.com/...sQ5fAccessories
found this one on ebay for a set for 60$ compared to 50$ a piece for the oem's. curious what others have done or if these are one of those parts you should go oem.
next question ; all the bearings appear to be in good shape and turn smoothly. but i know you guys are going to tell me to replace them anyways sence im in there. does anyone have a link to someone that sells all the bearings as a kit. or should i just go on bikebandit and buy the oem bearings one by one. aftermarket one by one?
next question; i keep reading that i should replace my timing chain while im in there as well. do these chains have short lives or is it just a paranoid preventive maintenace thing? my chain moves smooth/free and is very tight when installed should i replace it still? would these be considered a interference head like on cars if it was to break?
also whats normal wear for the oil pumps? there is cirlcular grooves on the metal star and housing. but they still spin freely
already got my cylinder cleaned up and will be ordering a new piston kit as well. thanks for reading and looking forward to reading any input.

• salemonkey

Posted April 17, 2011 - 02:27 AM

i would also like to ask, who else had problems with those damn star bolts coming out. really shitty to put a star bolt when it has threadlocker on it.(ya i know they need to have it flush just ranting) some of them i got out just fine. but three of them i had to use the easy out on it. same with the stater bolts. every other bolt on this bike hasnt gave me issues. besides some of the plastic bolts i changed over to a normal 10mm bolt.

• Yamaryder29

Posted April 17, 2011 - 05:33 AM

I used a hotrods bearing kit for my 250f, they work just fine. Also, i'm in the middle of putting a new rod and bearing in my new 2000 yz426f...I wouldn't change any bearings, if you don't need to. There made to last a long time while using the correct oil. If there tight and spin free, leave em be. Unless, your doing it for peace of mind. Those bearings add up quick, if your replacing all of them. I priced them for my 426 thinking I was gonna need em. Luckily, I don't

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 17, 2011 - 08:35 AM

i would also like to ask, who else had problems with those damn star bolts coming out. really shitty to put a star bolt when it has threadlocker on it.(ya i know they need to have it flush just ranting) some of them i got out just fine. but three of them i had to use the easy out on it. same with the stater bolts. every other bolt on this bike hasnt gave me issues. besides some of the plastic bolts i changed over to a normal 10mm bolt.

The Torx bolts (not "star") have never been a problem for me. They're a far better choice than either a Phillips or Allen head.

If you had taken the proper approach to the problem when you first ran into trouble with them, you'd have been fine. Either the good old hammer impact driver, or the simple application of some heat would have solved your problem up front.

The 426 had no plastic bolts that I'm aware of, although there were some aluminum ones.

• salemonkey

Posted April 17, 2011 - 03:08 PM

The Torx bolts (not "star") have never been a problem for me. They're a far better choice than either a Phillips or Allen head.

If you had taken the proper approach to the problem when you first ran into trouble with them, you'd have been fine. Either the good old hammer impact driver, or the simple application of some heat would have solved your problem up front.

The 426 had no plastic bolts that I'm aware of, although there were some aluminum ones.

ya i suppose i could of done the heat or impact. now i like the allen heads a lot better then a phillips or torx.(called it a star because thats what they look like to me lol) as far as taking them off. and technically the torx are not a problem for me if theres not permathread on them haha. i didnt do to bad on the torx bolts only 3 out of 15 i couldnt get out. some where definitly a lot easier to get out then others. but like grayracer said if your not me definitly go about it the right way.
and im talking about the bolts that hold the plastics on the bike that used a phillips style. at least mine came with them when i bought it. i dont understand why you would want a phillips bolt on something you would take off so much and also want it snug. to easy to strip them over time.

• gscx

Posted April 17, 2011 - 03:10 PM

I wish all of the damn bolt heads on dirtbikes would either be allen head or torx heads.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.