07 450 head question

8 replies to this topic
  • gtsmpuc

Posted April 15, 2011 - 01:35 PM

Do these valves look like they are seated right, as far as the build up of carbon on either side of the smooth surface of the seat? The bike was put back together out of time, when i got it and you can see small scuffs on the piston and the 3 intake valves. Valves slide great in the head, so im thinking new springs and just put them back together. Also what is a good cleaner for the head and the valves, to remove the carbon build up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• gtsmpuc

Posted April 15, 2011 - 02:27 PM

here are the spots where the valves touched the piston. Motor was completely out of time when i tore it down, piston was also rolled over. Guy said he thought the crank was bad, it checked out great, but not sure what caused this.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted April 15, 2011 - 03:03 PM

Yes, they look alright assemble them, tap the stems lightly with a small hammer to bounce the valves off the seats a little, then check them for sealing with solvent. Back in the days when you could get "real" carb cleaner, there was something that would just dissolve the carbon off the valves by soaking them overnight and then lightly brushing. Now, I don't know of any one thing that's better than anything else. You can use a wire brush on a bench grinder, BUT DON'T brush the sealing face of the valve or the part of the stem that runs in the guide.

• Gunner354

Posted April 15, 2011 - 04:03 PM

WD-40 will remove the carbon. Submerge and let it set overnight.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 15, 2011 - 05:25 PM

Haven't tried that. Maybe WD-40 is good for something after all. :thumbsup:

• Handy Andy

Posted April 15, 2011 - 08:00 PM

You can still get the good ol' carb cleaner but only in 5 gal. buckets which is not very cost effective for personal use. You probably can't get it in CA though.

• grayracer513

Posted April 15, 2011 - 08:20 PM

You can still get the good ol' carb cleaner but only in 5 gal. buckets which is not very cost effective for personal use. You probably can't get it in CA though.

Yeah, but the stuff works so well that I'd buy one and just use it for the next ten years. I used to bring the old stuff home from the dealership that the tune up guys didn't want anymore and use that. Maybe next time I drive to Arizona....

• gtsmpuc

Posted April 15, 2011 - 08:50 PM

Thanks everyone! Im pumped to get a new top end ordered next week and try to fire it. Before i pulled the valve, i did spray some degreaser in the head, it was all i had. After sitting about 2-3 minutes, you could see dampness coming through the valves. It wasnt wet, but like damp concrete. Thats when i pushed on the valve and when it seated you could hear the carbon or dirt on the seats. In the pic of th valve it was after i wiped it off with a rag.

• Handy Andy

Posted April 15, 2011 - 09:02 PM

Yeah, but the stuff works so well that I'd buy one and just use it for the next ten years. I used to bring the old stuff home from the dealership that the tune up guys didn't want anymore and use that. Maybe next time I drive to Arizona....

I love that shit.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.