Need advice on mod/upgrades on my 05 wr450

3 replies to this topic
  • rEVOLution2012

Posted April 14, 2011 - 10:02 PM

Hey all , first post for me but have been pouring over this site for few days now. I recently baught an 05wr450 and love it, but I really wan't to uncork it I ride trails mostly in AZ desert. It sounds like these are a must.

Yamaha GYT-R AIS Removal Kit, P/N GYT-5TJ93-69-00
1.) Removed the grey-wire
2.) Add an adjustable Fuel Screw
3.) Add a MJ 168 and 48 PJ( or w/e is recommended)
4.) Add a throttle stop screw
5.) Add a exchaust insert or remove baffle
6.) Open the air box openings

I don't have the means or ability to do all these myself so I want to have it done professionally. Any estimate on how much this is goin to cost? also is it best to take it to a yamaha dealer or is it something any reputable shop will do? I don't know enough about these bikes to do myself. Do I have to have it rejetted afterwards?

• wondermuscle

Posted April 15, 2011 - 06:13 AM

The dealer will charge at least $120 in labor. The parts are cheap, under $60. So you should be able to get it done for under $200.

You could always check craigslist for someone who does bike work out of their garage.

Is this your first bike? What you have outlined are the easiest tasks and they are well described in this forum. Just give it a try. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • woods-rider

Posted April 15, 2011 - 06:23 AM

I agree, try them yourself after reading the how-tos on this site. You can't really mess anything up too bad on these mods.

• Col Psoas

Posted April 15, 2011 - 11:34 PM

Hey all , first post for me but have been pouring over this site for few days now. I recently baught an 05wr450 and love it, but I really wan't to uncork it I ride trails mostly in AZ desert. It sounds like these are a must.

Yamaha GYT-R AIS Removal Kit, P/N GYT-5TJ93-69-00
1.) Removed the grey-wire
2.) Add an adjustable Fuel Screw
3.) Add a MJ 168 and 48 PJ( or w/e is recommended)
4.) Add a throttle stop screw
5.) Add a exchaust insert or remove baffle
6.) Open the air box openings

I don't have the means or ability to do all these myself so I want to have it done professionally. Any estimate on how much this is goin to cost? also is it best to take it to a yamaha dealer or is it something any reputable shop will do? I don't know enough about these bikes to do myself. Do I have to have it rejetted afterwards?

I don't know much about the pre-07 wr's but assuming they require the same mods the that 07 and later ones do (note: require is a relativ term)

1 remove the gray wire: took me 5 minutes to locate and push out with a screw driver with help from the pics on this site
2 fuel screw: good if you're changing elevation but even then its really just the idle circut so once you're into the revs its not very important as the other jets are doing most of the work. I have one but rarely mess with it
3 Jet it correctly, enough said
4 ADD a throttle stop screw? Lets try replace with yz screw;)
5 take the pea shooter out of the exhaust... yeah take off the screws or rivets and take it out, there's about 10 in all and put some anti sieze on them when you install it again. its a 15 minute jobs unless they're REALLY siezed up
6 air box snorkle... can't help you as my bike didn't have one when I got it.

Absolutely anybody with very basic hand tools can do the wire, airbox and exhaust mods yourself, then take it to the dealer and have them do the fuel/air screw and throttle stop while they're playing with the carb jetting it

Hope this helps, if you need more info just ask :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.