GPR or Scott?

17 replies to this topic
  • RockyMtnKevin

Posted April 14, 2011 - 12:40 AM

I have had two people suggest the Scott steering stabilizer over the GPR. Is there a difference in the technology? Why would you buy one over the other?

I have heard about GPR's leaking, but I also got to ride a 2009 300 XC-W and the Scott's on it had leaked and was not working right.

(The 300 XC-W was nice in the technical single track we were on, but the engine vibration has me headed for a 530 XC-W)

Is it a difference between GPR & Scott like Yamaha vs. KTM, or KTM vs. Husaberg?

• mazungo

Posted April 14, 2011 - 05:51 AM

not sure, but if it leaks, you can probably open it up and replace o-rings.
got one (GPR) which works perfectly fine, and did some digging before buying,
people say good on both of the companies though heard GPR manager is a nice guy so bought it :thumbsup:.

• MrBlahh

Posted April 14, 2011 - 06:03 AM

big difference in technology, I own both, 2nd bike came with a gpr

if I was buying today, it would be a scotts

• Chas_M

Posted April 14, 2011 - 08:14 AM

Scotts for sure.

Do a 'Search' to find out why the Scotts damper is preferred by the vast majority of riders.

• RockyMtnKevin

Posted April 15, 2011 - 09:51 PM

Thanks for the replys. Gonna checkout Scott. Does Scott have anything to do with Ohlin because I thought I saw an Ohlin logo on someone's Scott damper.

• Chas_M

Posted April 15, 2011 - 10:12 PM

Ohlin makes the Scotts damper.

• mazungo

Posted April 15, 2011 - 10:39 PM

Ohlin makes the Scotts damper.

they make they're own too, it costs about 50% more.
http://www.ktm-parts...duct_Code=SD533

Edited by mazungo, April 17, 2011 - 07:15 AM.

• gsled04

Posted April 21, 2011 - 03:54 PM

I have the gpr and have had no leaking problems, I was told that the leaks on both the scotts and the gpr is from lack of use, the seals dry out. Unless your are a pro or an A level racer you won't be able to tell any differance between the two, just more knobs to turn on the scotts. :thumbsup:

• Dmtalon

Posted April 21, 2011 - 05:01 PM

Just my .02cents. My scotts just got mounted onto my third bike. It's been on a '04 GSXR 600 racebike, an '05 GSXR 600 street bike, and now as of tonight after getting the right arm, is on my KTM 450XCW. It's never leaked, and has never been serviced before last week. I sent it in to have it serviced and have the correct arm installed. Figured it was time. Appears to have been manufactured 5/2004

Zero experience with GPR, so I can't comment on that.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CalRMX

Posted April 21, 2011 - 05:30 PM

I have a Scotts, and a GPR V1. The GPR transformed a bike that was scary to ride in a rock field, to a bike that doesn't even twitch when you go thru a rockfield at high speed. The Scotts is on a bike that was stable to begin with, so it's effect is not as dramatic as the GPR

The GPR is much simpler, less moving parts. I've taken both apart and the GPR is easier to work on, the Scotts is a lot more complicated. In the long run I would think the GPR is more reliable. I believe early GPR units were leak prone, but haven't heard that to be a problem recently.

The scotts has muliple adjustments, I've never changed the sweep adjustment, and have never changed the high speed damping adjustment either. My experience with my GPR suggest that the sweep adjustment, and the seperate high speed adjustment are not neccassary.

The GPR van will be at a lot of the desert races, I've seen the van in JV multiple times at races, so if you need a GPR serviced at a desert race and the van is there, that would be a selling point to me. I don't believe Scotts goes out and provides support at any races.

I believe the Scotts damper was licenced from Ohlins, which is why some had an Ohlins logo on them. I assume they bought the rights to the damper and put their name on the damper.

I'd by another GPR before I'd buy a Scotts. I bought the Scotts thru the Thumpertalk store using a discount coupon that I got at the Endurocross in LV a few years ago, and got a screaming deal on it.

Edited by triumph406, April 21, 2011 - 05:46 PM.

• CalRMX

Posted April 21, 2011 - 05:44 PM

I have had two people suggest the Scott steering stabilizer over the GPR. Is there a difference in the technology? Why would you buy one over the other?

The GPR V1 I have has a simple rotary valve to change the orifice size nothing else, very simple.

The Scotts has a complicated valve to change the damping, it has sweep adjustment valves that can vary the angle that the unit damps over. It also has a seperate high speed damping valve that adjustable with a screw driver. Some people back of the damping valve, and just rely on the high speed adjustment to take care of the bit hits.

The GPR V2 (don't know about the other versions) damps full time, i.e when you are turning the bars away from center, and back to center.

The Scotts only dampens when turning away from center. When returning to center there is no damping.

Here is a URL to the Scotts maintenace manual, shows how many parts are inside.
http://www.scottsper...litrack/257.pdf

• RockyMtnKevin

Posted April 21, 2011 - 11:58 PM

I haven't bought a damper yet, I like the sound of low maintenance of the GPR, but not sure I want damping on the rebound. Below is a response to an email I sent to Scott's:

Scotts manufactures 2 different stabilizers, a road bike version and an off-road version. Both units share the same physical size and appearance, the main differences are in the valving design. Below is a very brief description of the differences between the 2 styles.

The off-road damper is a non-rebound stabilizer, which means, as it sweeps away from center it has damping but the moment it changes direction back toward center the damping is free until it reaches center again, hence the term non-rebound or free-rebound. This was an important development in the off-road damper and is what makes our damper work so well. It's design is to allow the rider to correct for constant slides associated with off-roading while not fighting with the damping forces back to center. It's a serious advantage for the off-road rider. This feature helps prevent the common syndrome known as arm pump. Our stabilizer is the only one made with this feature.

The road bike damper design requires a totally different function and therefore is a rebound damper. A road bike is primarily leaned, not steered, and the damping forces need to be absorbed in both directions to maintain constant stability, due to the nature of the energy needing to be absorbed.

Can they be interchanged? Yes.

Are you receiving all the advantages you could by using the off road unit on a road bike application or vice versa? No.

Is there a big difference? That is an individual opinion. Using your dirt bike damper on your road bike would still be a vast improvement over no damper at all and the same goes for using a road bike damper on a dirt bike. Some customers who have tried switching from one to the other say, they feel no difference. Others claim there is a huge difference. So you see, it's truly personal preference. There are other internal differences between the 2 stabilizers which would take a lot longer to explain. The best bet is always to use the right damper for the right application. However, we could not tell you that they don't work when switched for the other application, it's just that they work better when used as designed for the right application.

There are always specific applications that might favor one type or the other depending on the situation. We make our suggestions based on our testing and what the majority of our customer base prefers. You have the option to specify whichever unit you prefer when ordering.

Scotts Performance Products

2625 Honolulu Ave

Montrose, CA 91020

P: 818 248-6747

F: 818 248-4529

www.scottsonline.com

• PBDBLUE

Posted April 22, 2011 - 05:54 AM

I've owned both. Currently have a Scotts on my WR and a GPR V2 on my KTM. IMO the dampening on the Scotts is much better for hi speed hits ( i.e. - deflecting off of rocks). I'm finding I prefer the free return to center (Scotts) rather than having dampening in both directions. If I had it to do over again I would get the Scotts.

• Chas_M

Posted April 22, 2011 - 08:04 AM

My experience with my GPR suggest that the sweep adjustment, and the separate high speed adjustment are not necessary.

Many folks would disagree.

When the GPR damper is turned down enough so that the steering doesn't feel like molasses, it loses much of its high speed damping ability. In contrast, the Scotts damper low speed damping can be adjusted way down and still retain its high speed damping at the same time.

• CalRMX

Posted April 22, 2011 - 09:17 AM

Many folks would disagree.

When the GPR damper is turned down enough so that the steering doesn't feel like molasses, it loses much of its high speed damping ability. In contrast, the Scotts damper low speed damping can be adjusted way down and still retain its high speed damping at the same time.

The GPR can be turned down, and still has high speed damping. The GPR V1 has fixed orifice sizes. So if you have a low setting (i use position 2-2.5) then the damping is low enough that you don't feel the drag, But it has high speed damping due to the force required to push the fluid thru the orifice being the square of the fluid velocity. There's still enough damping with it set at 2-2.5 to handle rocks etc at high speed, well at least the speeds I ride.

The fluid resistance is the square of the rate you force the fluid thru an oriifce. So if you hit a rock and the bars turn at twice the rate, you get 4x the damping, if they turn at 3 times the rate you want you get 9x the damping. etc etc. That's the effect that allows you too use a low setting on a GPR and still get high speed damping.

I know a few people who turn the Scotts low speed setting down, and increase the high speed setting. I also know a few people who tried to adjust the high speed setting, and ended up sending the unit back to Scotts to be recalibrated. I think Scotts even recomend leaving the high speed adjustment alone, unless you know what your doing.

I've never talked to anybody who has changed the sweep adjustment. I might try to adjust it next time to see if there is a noticeable effect.

• jjm525

Posted April 22, 2011 - 04:13 PM

I tried a GPR V4 on my SXF450 and it helped me so much when I got tired and the track was beat I immediately got one for my EXC530. Love em is all I can say and they bolted up easily with the hardparts mounts. I find #3 is my general setting and dialing it back for really tight stuff is easy with a glove on while moving.

When the EXC gets its sumoto wheels the bike is dead stable at any speed. No regrets with GPR, and I have Scotts on both my 950s.

• Dave102429

Posted May 10, 2011 - 01:40 PM

I've got both. Scotts for sure.

• TheBlackSheep

Posted May 10, 2011 - 05:08 PM

+1 for Scotts. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Related Content

Reviews

KTM 450 EXC 2015 by Bryan Bosch

KTM 450 EXC 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

KTM 250 EXC 4-Stroke 2011 by palmpilote

KTM 250 EXC 4-Stroke 2011
  • 1 review
  • Last review by palmpilote
  • On October 17, 2014
Forums
Photo

HDB Handguards for 2015 EXC 350 (Anyone have these on their bike?) by gtxscirocco

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

KTM 450 XC-W 2015 by Bryan Bosch

KTM 450 XC-W 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

KTM 350 EXC-F 2014 by Chris.GVS

KTM 350 EXC-F 2014
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Rob350EXC
  • On October 28, 2014

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.