2004 WR450F bringin' her back from the dead project

This is still my favorite thread. Loving your work.

Was it you that was trying to find a good material to use for packing the exhaust silencer? If so, did you find anything suitable in the end?

yes that was me, and yes I'm still looking.

Right now I'm running the Big Gun Evo exhaust, but I hate the volume of the pipe. It draws too much attention to my bike by the popo. So, I'm hoping once I get the factory 04 YZ450 exhaust that it'll quieten down the bike.

yes that was me, and yes I'm still looking.

Right now I'm running the Big Gun Evo exhaust, but I hate the volume of the pipe. It draws too much attention to my bike by the popo. So, I'm hoping once I get the factory 04 YZ450 exhaust that it'll quieten down the bike.

Guess I have to ask if you tried Silent Sport packing and if so why didn't it work?

My 04 YZ exhaust is still disassembled. I've yet to purchase some packing. But I'll see about the silent sport packing, I'm guessing I should be able to just google it and get a few results of places to buy it.

My 04 YZ exhaust is still disassembled. I've yet to purchase some packing. But I'll see about the silent sport packing, I'm guessing I should be able to just google it and get a few results of places to buy it.

http://areapnolimits.com/silentsport.html

You can also get it under Moose and MSR brands, plus others I bet.. It's all a PITA but this stuff runs circles around fiberglass insulation, lasts a long time and just remove fluff and add more when it does get tired.

More updates;

I decided to tackle finishing up the exhaust modifications. Thanks Rocky for your suggestions on packing material, that stuff works awesome. Locally I could only get the 450g bags of material, and following the instructions on the bag for the correct packing density for a 4 stroke exhaust, I quickly realized that the exhaust can had too much capacity for the size of the bag (which was the last bag within 500 km's from me). So, I started figuring out how big of a can the 450g bag could do... Well if I removed pretty much 2 inches of length from the can I'd be almost exactly to the right filling density. So.. I made it happen;

Here's the exhaust can with 2 inches removed;

DSC_6872.jpg

Then, while I was at it, I also decided why not set up some sort of spark arrestor on the inner core. So instead of making the cut of the exhaust at 2 inches, I made the cut at 1 inch and folded the inner core over on itself to essentially make a screen type spark arrestor.

DSC_6873.jpg

DSC_6874.jpg

And here's the final results;

DSC_6875.jpg

DSC_6882.jpg

Now I'll continue my jetting nightmare to set this bike up. I bought 20 CR8E plugs, I have a whole crap load of different pilot and main jets, along with various JD & stock needles. Man, I hate carburators.

• Like 2

Looks sweet RS!!! Now that the bike is nearly finished, and seeing as how you hate carbs, why not purchase a 2012 and get started on that next!!!! :banghead:

Awesome job on the bike though. I really loved watching this thread to see where you were going with it. And that oiling tip, thats a genuine brilliant idea!! Thanks for the ride!

Maniac

Well I got the low throttle (under 50% input) jetting finished on the bike today, and wow does it ever run smoooooootttttthhhhhhh down low. After almost 3hrs worth of riding around town on the setup, I pulled the plug and it was without one trace of black on plug and only a slightly brownish tinge to the center insulator. I call that a success. Now, comes the fun tuning.. chop throttle full throttle pulls down the back roads around here.

I ended up running a 45 pilot and 2.25 turns on the fuel screw @ 22 degrees celcius.

Thanks Yamiryder.

Another quick update, yesterday I picked up from our welders on base my new modified kickstand. Now I'll have one kickstand for dirt (haha.. yeah that'll be the day), and another for it's current supermoto form. I got them to remove 1.5 inches from the length of it and weld the foot back on.. So now the total length is 13.5 inches from the center of the pivot bolt to the center of the foot.

Also today, I bought myself a single bike motorcycle trailer to tow behind my Subaru WRX wagon. When I went to go look at the trailer which was about 40 mins away @ 110 km/hr, I decided the weather was cooperating enough to take the bike for a good highway jaunt. Umm... this bike is NOT comfortable for that length of time at those speeds.. hahaha.

Within 20 mins my butt was numb, followed quickly by my hands falling asleep from the vibrations.... by the time I arrived I couldn't wait to get off the bike.. hahaha. Also I've gotta find a way to have some wind protection... damn near every truck that passed me made me feel like I was going to come off the bike.. lol

But, it was fun, and I was glad I did the trip without incidence.

Edited by rs25

As far as seats go, I've got a Seat Concepts one that I use for Baja. It's really flat across the top, and slightly wider too. This helps make the seat more comfortable for long trips in the saddle! And for vibrations, there's all kinds of methods to help lessen the vibes of a big single. One method is to use a type of "Handlebar snake" that fits inside the handlebar tube. Personally, I think you could just fill it with a type of silicone sealant, and let it harden. That should help.

Maniac

Thanks maniac for helping me spend money.. lol.. I'll take a look at the seat concept product. For short trips around town, I really don't mind the stock seat, I find it quite comfy... it's just those slightly longer adventures when you can't standup on the bike to releave discomfort which causes the issues. Also that handlebar snake product looks interesting, I might investigate further into a product like that.... As far as using silicon, the only problem I could see would be that the outer edge would be the only parts to harden.. If my memory serves me right, it takes oxygen contact to cure the stuff.. (but I could be wrong.)

But, I received some more parts today.. some of them are carbon fiber, some oem yamaha... So this long weekend I'll tackle the modifications to the vent system and post the results here. I promise, it'll look 100% from the factory... only better ?

I'm not sure if the "Bar Snake" would work better than the silicone I mentioned or not. And I think your right, in that only the last couple of inches would harden up. I don't think that would make a ton of difference though. I believe what's happening is the "harmonics" of a hollow tube (handlebars) cause's the tingling sensation in your hands. By making the hollow tube solid, you change the "harmonics" and no more tingling sensation! Or at least, that's how I understand the whole thing.

Maniac

haha Rocky, I know the feeling. Just go for the oil nozzle and oring, don't bother replacing the oil pump unless you notice any scoring/damage on any of the rotors, or if the pump doesn't rotate smoothly.

Maniac do you know of any rubber compound which is liquid for a pre-determined time, then turns solid..? By means of a chemical reaction (hardener) or applying heat...

Edited by rs25

haha Rocky, I know the feeling. Just go for the oil nozzle and oring, don't bother replacing the oil pump unless you notice any scoring/damage on any of the rotors, or if the pump doesn't rotate smoothly.

Maniac do you know of any rubber compound which is liquid for a pre-determined time, then turns solid..? By means of a chemical reaction (hardener) or applying heat...

So the newer (higher flow I assume?) oil pump isn't nessary for the nozzle to operate?? That would save some cash for sure.. Thought more flow couldn't be a bad thing while I was in there, but I could add it later I suppose. Maybe the money tree will bloom early this year!

As far as bar damping goes I remember guys doing it on there 500 two strokes back in the day, silicone always seemed to work great.. The only option I can think of would be a two part NVH foam or flexible two part seam sealer used in autobody http://3mcollision.com/products/sound-deadening but you would need to make a friend at a body shop asap!