759 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 08:34 PM

holy christ that is sexy

• zibbit u2

TT Bronze Member

342 posts

Posted April 06, 2012 - 02:59 PM

haha, thanks TheHopperShow.

Well here's a few more updates. My rear rotor is pootched, luckily for me GnarlyParts.ca has a pre-season sale going on right now for some Tusk stainless steel rotors for ~60 bucks Canadian.. I know I know.. they're cheap rotors, but I never had a rear rotor budgeted for this rebuild... so cheap and better condition than my stocker was necessary. So.. while I wait for the rotor to arrive, I continue the build while the snow still flies outside...

I got the one brake hose fitting changed out "locally" yesterday.. that was a bad 8hr drive, in almost complete white out conditions I hit a snow drift on the highway and busted apart my front bumper lip on my 07 WRX wagon :thumbsup: So, I'll add that to the list to fix this summer. This morning I installed the brake line and reverse bled the front brake with some Motul RB600 fluid.. I have a feeling I'm going to have to be careful with this brake setup, I hoping the modulation is decent enough to not stoppie without trying. So, on with some pictures;

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also, here's what the front headlight shroud turned out like.. I'm really pleased with how the colors match.

Posted Image

Then, I rebuilt my petcock valve, and added a little "flair" to it to make it hopefully easier to see if my fuel is shut off or not.

Posted Image

And I added a little bling to motor (not pictured is the magnetic drain plug)

Posted Image

Lastly, I installed the horns and built a wiring harness which plugs in to the main harness under the tank.

Posted Image

• zibbit u2

TT Bronze Member

342 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 11:04 PM

with the HotCams and pipe I think the 15/43 is a good compramise for road gears.You are running a 17 in the rear so that brings the ratio a little lower over all too.
The frame looks kind of cool stripped.
I have your address and the clutch and cams are boxed to go out USPS in the AM

Well I'm guessing you never made it to the post office.

Time for a little update. I found a bunch of small magnetic chips in my oil filter, so I pulled off the clutch case side cover to facilitate a visual inspection.

Posted Image

The oil pump appears to be eating itself. The metal plate that separate the high and low pressure pumps are very scarred, and tomorrow I'm going to see if I can sign out a boroscope from work to take a look between the cases. It's a pretty cool tool that I have at my disposal, it's pretty much an industrial version of what a doctor would use to take a look at your prostate... or other area's of your body that they can fit the teeny tiny camera. Using the tool you have full control of the various viewing tips, you can take measurements and best of all.. I don't have to turn a wrench (fingers crossed).

Also, while I'm in here, I think I might send the side case cover off to get the 07+ YFZ450 piston pin oil jet installed, or.. I might just order the parts and do the install myself. The oil pump needs to be replaced, so it's an extra 40 dollars worth of parts go completely upgrade the oiling system.

• zibbit u2

TT Bronze Member

342 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 10:32 PM

Well, I spent probably pretty close to 2 hrs today using the boroscope kit.

Posted Image

I put the camera in every oil passage/galley/crevasse that I could go trying to get a good look at all parts that are magnetic within the case halves... what I found that was out of the ordinary, nothing really. The oil tank had some debris in it, which after a couple flushes with some 99% Isopropyl Alcohol came out pretty clean. I don't know if the debris was from the powder coating or whether they were there from the motor last season. Other than that, the transmission looked well.. used. Just so you can see what the view looks like (keep in mind my camera taking a photo of the screen isn't the most ideal way to see the view)

Posted Image

So the only real damage that I could see was the actual oil pump itself. Even the strainer at the bottom of the case was clean inside and out, so pretty much all of the chips were concentrated between the pump and the filter.

On order is a new high flow oil pump & rotor from a 07 YFZ450, along with the piston pin oil jet which I determined that I'm going to install myself. Lastly, being as though it was so much cheaper to shop in the states vs dealers here, I also added a 06 YZ450f Exhaust camshaft to the order.. even with shipping, duties, and getting the cam, it was almost $120 cheaper than purchasing local (w/o the cam)... only problem, I'll have to wait a little longer to get the parts.

• MANIAC998
4,945 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted April 11, 2012 - 03:23 AM

Keep up the excellent work RS25!! Years ago I had my YZ400 powdercoated and the frame had to be flushed numerous times to get all of the grit out of it. Maniac

• zibbit u2

TT Bronze Member

342 posts

Posted April 11, 2012 - 04:26 PM

thanks maniac... right about now.. I just wish the bike was out of the bloody basement so I could ride the darn thing... it's SOOO close... yet seems like the end of the tunnel is SOOO FAR AWAY. :thumbsup:

Anyways, I painted the roost guards, and mounted the horns to the lower edge to provide a more solid mount for them.

Posted Image

If I notice (which I don't think I will due to the oversized rads), a significant temperature increase, then I'll remove the roost guards and figure out a more solid mount for the horns. But here's a few more playing around shots with a fisheye lens on my camera.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by rs25, April 11, 2012 - 04:28 PM.

• zibbit u2

TT Bronze Member

342 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 09:54 PM

picked up a JD jet kit for a 06-08 KX450f to install, also some rear axle blocks, and a YZ450F exhaust to quieten down this bike a little for street duty.

• aussieklx

TT Bronze Member

135 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 - 12:21 AM

What front forks are you running? Curious how you got the 05 onwards fork guards to fit if they are the std 04 forks.

Looking grouse btw

• Vineboy

TT Bronze Member

123 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 - 02:30 PM

Watching this build with alot of interest. You're doing a great job.
Just a quick question. Looking at the end of your starter motor it's looks as though you have done the starter mod on it. Is this right?

• miweber929

TT Silver Member

596 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 - 03:45 PM

Just a quick question. Looking at the end of your starter motor it's looks as though you have done the starter mod on it. Is this right?

His is an 04, no mod necessary.
Seriously, this is a very easy mod to do. I pulled my side cover off last weekend and the cover comes off with 2 bolts, gear pulls right out, it takes like 10 minutes if you need to do it. Don't over think it.

Mike

• Yamiryder

TT Platinum Member

1,502 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 - 04:23 PM

This is a really sweet thread. I love all the things you've done to the bike. Great work. :thumbsup:

• zibbit u2

TT Bronze Member

342 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 - 11:37 PM

What front forks are you running? Curious how you got the 05 onwards fork guards to fit if they are the std 04 forks.

Looking grouse btw

The forks that I'm running are 06 WR450 forks, which came complete with the triples. Keep in mind I had to upgrade to a 06 wiring harness, 06 instrument cluster mount and I had to order a new front axle bolt (because there's a difference between 04 to 06.) Also, the RH fork guard is a YZ450f to get rid of the large lump for the factory speedo drive.

What was quoted above, that mod isn't required on this motor (either the 04 shell/spare parts motor, or the 06 motor I've got mounted in the frame). Thanks for the compliments.

This is a really sweet thread. I love all the things you've done to the bike. Great work. :thumbsup:

Thanks, I'm hoping this thread might inspire other members to try something new, and hey... now I've got a photo diary of everything that's been done to the bike.

• zibbit u2

TT Bronze Member

342 posts

Posted April 15, 2012 - 09:25 PM

Couple small updates... More parts YAY!!!!

Picked up the JD jet kit for the 06-08 KX450F, and some Works Connection rear axle blocks on Friday. On Sunday I managed to acquire locally a great condition 05 YZ450f exhaust (needed cleaning) and he thru in some YZ clutch basket springs and the clutch actuating arm.... all for 25 bucks. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Now, I need to find some muffler packing that won't burn off in an afternoon and won't break the bank. I simply cannot believe how expensive the OEM packing is... I mean really... 170 USD for the factory stuff... is it gold, platinum and will rub your back if you get tired at night? Sometimes I wonder who made the price list at Yamaha.

• W R
5,297 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted April 16, 2012 - 02:06 AM

Holy Hell! Who the hell are you rs25? I just came across this thread, of course went to the last post you had and thought Wow that is an awesome looking bike. Peaked my interest so I went to the first post of the thread and saw what you started with. Ok now I am reading on through the first rebuild and I was totally impressed all the way up to the bike inspection. Still I am thinking where does the yellow bike come in. What???????????? your tearing the bike back down, who does this to a bike they just got done with. Ok now I see you have OCD and you have to touch every part you did not fix beyond expectation the first time. You are freaking nuts. So this is your winter project............Tear apart a perfectly good bike and re do it.

Well as crazy as you are you have done a fantastic job. I am impessed! Now I am going to have to stay tuned to see the finish this year and what you do to it next year.

• zibbit u2

TT Bronze Member

342 posts

Posted April 16, 2012 - 02:35 PM

Holy Hell! Who the hell are you rs25? I just came across this thread, of course went to the last post you had and thought Wow that is an awesome looking bike. Peaked my interest so I went to the first post of the thread and saw what you started with. Ok now I am reading on through the first rebuild and I was totally impressed all the way up to the bike inspection. Still I am thinking where does the yellow bike come in. What???????????? your tearing the bike back down, who does this to a bike they just got done with. Ok now I see you have OCD and you have to touch every part you did not fix beyond expectation the first time. You are freaking nuts. So this is your winter project............Tear apart a perfectly good bike and re do it.

Well as crazy as you are you have done a fantastic job. I am impessed! Now I am going to have to stay tuned to see the finish this year and what you do to it next year.

I'm RS25 on most forums, Zibbit on the roller derby track and I'm a Axial Flow Turbine engine technician (teardown/rebuild/testing) for the Royal Canadian Airforce. This bike is kinda like a Harley, not so much the "rolls down one hill, can harley make it up the next" sense of the saying, but the fact that quite a few Harley owners do a teardown/inspection/rebuild after each riding season.... Not so much that it "needs it" but it's more of a quality assurance check to make sure next riding season shouldn't have too much down time waiting for parts. Plus, the winter here lasts a LONG time (5-7 months of the year), and there's not a lot you want to do outside at -40 celcius except run to the next warm place... So having a project indoors is always nice.

After this season's teardown/rebuild I don't really have any concrete future plans... well, except maybe a larger power plant from a different bike, or possibly a fuel injection setup... but we'll see. Bikes around this neck of the woods generally don't last long, mostly due to the fact that most get stolen and scrapped by the person who stole the bike. But we'll see. I have an idea of a way to install a GPS on the bike, so if it ever does go missing, all I have to do is turn on my iPhone and follow the dot on google maps with the RCMP on the line.

But, thanks for your kind words, I'm glad you had an interesting read and maybe a short glimpse of just how OCD I actually am.

But, another small update, I tore the exhaust down so I could redo the exhaust packing. Then obviously I can't rebuild using dirty parts, so I cleaned & polished most parts before I reassemble in the next few days. That dent in the silencer can is going to stay, because I could spend a lot of time dollying the dent out, only to have the rear caliper remake that dent again the next time I launch off a jump and land.

Posted Image

I'm almost thinking I want to install anchor nuts into the two end caps, so I can change the packing easier next time.... Who knows.. maybe I might be able to convince some of the machinists on base to practice Tig welding on titanium. Or, I might look into getting steel self holding anchor nuts...

Second update, MORE PARTS came in the mail :thumbsup:

Posted Image

So again if anyone has any ideas on a good method/brand of exhaust packing, that would be greatly appreciated for the input.

• zibbit u2

TT Bronze Member

342 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 10:28 PM

Well, no pictures to show the progress, but I installed the JD jet kit tonight, along with doing the accel pump linkage thick oring mod. I'm going by JD personal recommendations with a:

#48 pilot jet
72 start jet
Red Needle 5th from top
1 3/4 turn fuel screw

Hopefully it should land me pretty close to where I need to be for jetting using the YZ exhaust, YZ exhaust cam, HC piston, rapped/pillaged air box and 40mm FCR at about 1800 ft ASL.

Also, I received notification that the oil pump/oil nozzle/camshaft were mailed today :thumbsup: so hopefully soon, this bike will be out of the basement.

Edited by rs25, April 18, 2012 - 10:30 PM.

• WideEyedFox

TT Newbie

14 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 04:57 AM

Just read through this thread from start to finish - absolutely stunning work rs25 :thumbsup:

The re-build, re-wire, design and detailing are fantastic - totally stunning work. :thumbsup:

I feel a bit ashamed of my worn-but-loved WR400 now. :thumbsup:

• zibbit u2

TT Bronze Member

342 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 02:11 PM

Just read through this thread from start to finish - absolutely stunning work rs25 :thumbsup:

The re-build, re-wire, design and detailing are fantastic - totally stunning work. :thumbsup:

I feel a bit ashamed of my worn-but-loved WR400 now. :thumbsup:

Thank you, but you shouldn't be ashamed, you did say it was loved :lol:

• Waltzy

TT Newbie

11 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 10:20 AM

Beautiful build on this bike....I've stared at these pictures for a week so it is only fair I finally compliment the "artist". Again, great work!

• zibbit u2

TT Bronze Member

342 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 02:57 PM

haha.. thanks Waltzy.

Should have a few more parts coming in next week so hopefully I'll have some more updates... I'm going to experiment with the crankcase vent system using various readily available 2011 YZ250f parts. Also if I'm feeling especially adventurous I might look into building a catch tank system for the carb vents.

Another thing I'm going to redo is the slider bushings in the forks because even after I replaced the fork seals (all balls kit), I'm having issues with weeping seals on the lower fork legs, which I believe can be attributed to worn bushings. This time i'm going to use OEM parts instead of aftermarket.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.