Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

2004 WR450F bringin' her back from the dead project

232 replies to this topic
  • redhurricane

TT Titanium Member

2,879 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 06:44 PM

If you prep in advance, you can tape off all the parts you DON'T want powdercoating on and it saves a lot of clean up time later.

• zibbit u2

TT Bronze Member

343 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 07:28 PM

RS25... Its looking real, real good. I have my 05 refurbish going on another thread. I think I can see already that you will have me beat when it comes to appearance. That powdercoat looks great!

I thought about the powdercoat and a color change, but then wondered how I'd maintain it when it gets chipped from riding in the rocky sandy desert where I ride. I went the paint route.

How will the powder coat hold up on that swing arm? Do you ride in a lot of rocks?

Are you concerned about those spots that are now powdercoated that will ultimately house a bearing (steering tube, swingarm, etc...)?

Thanks man, yeah, I'm familiar with your thread. I think I even offered a few tips to help you out.

The exact reason why I'm coming up with my own digital design for decals.. if I crash, drop, lay down the bike, so long as the plastic survives somewhat intact and the decal isn't good anymore, I just take the digital image of whichever panel is damaged into the same local print shop, and get them to remake that one decal.

If the powder is cured properly it should resist chips, but if it does get chipped, I suppose I could always just get a paint touch up pen. Spray paint is a "soft coat" vs powder coat is known as a "hard coat" so I'm hoping that the hard coat will be more resilient towards abuse than my last years rattle can job. Mostly the bike will be used for on-road/fire road duties. Not too many hard trails or motocross in her immediate future.

As a matter of fact, I did somewhat prepare for those area's that will have a bearing on them. I intensionally left both the steering stem bearing outer races, and the swingarm pivot bearings untouched (still installed) for the powder process. That way they're essentially sheilding where the bearing rests from developing any buildup of coating.

If you prep in advance, you can tape off all the parts you DON'T want powdercoating on and it saves a lot of clean up time later.

Agreed. I would've done this myself before hand if I had access to a sandblaster (and the proper serviceable parts at my disposition). I tried the chemical strip method, unfortunately without blasting you're still left with a smooth bare frame that still has spots of rust. Which doesn't work well for powder. Now, hopefully the finish of the frame should outlast the motor

• Just_a_trail_rider

Get Help Now

6,822 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 19, 2012 - 08:43 PM

Thanks man, yeah, I'm familiar with your thread. I think I even offered a few tips to help you out.

Thanks, I need all the help I can get.

As a matter of fact, I did somewhat prepare for those area's that will have a bearing on them. I intensionally left both the steering stem bearing outer races, and the swingarm pivot bearings untouched (still installed) for the powder process. That way they're essentially sheilding where the bearing rests from developing any buildup of coating.

:thumbsup: Good thinking.

I initially planned to powder coat. I had someone give me a free can of colorrite paint. I figured I would try it and if it didn't look good I'd just send it to be powdercoated. But, once I took my time and prepped the frame, it looked as good or better than new. I think that the paint has hardened like new as well. I think it should be good for another 7 years, assuming I own it that long.

• zibbit u2

TT Bronze Member

343 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 09:01 PM

yeah my paint lasted.. umm one summer then it started to look like poop.. yet, I never prepped it very well either

• zibbit u2

TT Bronze Member

343 posts

Posted March 23, 2012 - 10:51 AM

Haven't got much actual work done on the bike lately as I've had a NASTY case of the flu which has kept me in bed for most of the week. But, good thing about being bed ridden, is laptops are portable so I finished up the design for the graphics package. Here's how she'll look;

Posted Image

• zibbit u2

TT Bronze Member

343 posts

Posted March 23, 2012 - 10:22 PM

Well I forced myself to get out of bed. So I took the frame, triple tree and swingarm to the auto club here on base to use the hydraulic press to remove/install the new steering head bearings and swingarm pivot bearings. What a slow process, but, I got the job done. Then, being as thought the frame was g2g now.... I proceeded to install the engine. Now, I'm tired, I'm done. I feel like I got something productive done rather than sitting on my duff waiting for the bike to build itself for springtime. Here's a pic;

Posted Image

Good nite-

• zibbit u2

TT Bronze Member

343 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 04:08 PM

Day 2 of assembly. It's hockey night in Canada, so it's time to stop working on the bike and concentrate on more important things.. like.. pizza.. and hockey (how can you tell I'm a Canuck haha)

Anyways, I started by mounting the swingarm and linkage which went surprisingly well;

Posted Image

Then, I moved to mounting the rear shock;

Posted Image

Then I cleaned the air box & mounted it in the subframe. Then, mounted everything to the bike..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Call me crazy but, there's just something soooo sexy about carbon fiber sitting right next to semi gloss black...

• MANIAC998
4,953 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 25, 2012 - 05:17 AM

Ummmmm......no, your not crazy! That bike is looking SWEET!!! Maniac

• zibbit u2

TT Bronze Member

343 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 12:50 PM

thanks Maniac :thumbsup: I was beginning to think that in fact I was crazy... I mean I knew I was OCD, but crazy would've been a new one.. haha

• MrBlahh

Get Help Now

8,078 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 03:20 AM

I had trouble with rocks chipping chunks put of the powder coating on the one bike I tried it on, typically it would not chip down to the metal

• zibbit u2

TT Bronze Member

343 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 06:05 AM

I actually talked to the powdercoater about situations like that. What he told me is if the powder isn't heated up enough (to the 250 degrees for this brand) then the powder becomes very brittle and will chip very easily. I do know, I did have a little misshap involving a metal door and myself carrying the frame through it.... I hit the neck of the frame quite hard w/o any signs of chipping what so ever. Hopefuly this is a good indication. lol

• MANIAC998
4,953 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 27, 2012 - 04:17 AM

RS25, You probably hit that metal door on purpose, right?! Sort of like taking a new helmet and dropping it before wearing it. You know, to get that out of the way!!! Looking forward to seeing this bike when it's finished. Maniac

• zibbit u2

TT Bronze Member

343 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 04:43 PM

:thumbsup: haha good one maniac. I can't wait to see it finished either, but with the white stuff still on the ground makes me not want to rush to get it finished. Anyways so onward and upward. I'm still routing the wiring harness and figuring out where to put everything so it's out of the way. Also I picked up a nice shinny and new Shorai battery.. man that thing is light, I just wish I could've opened up my air-box more with a smaller battery.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This time around I kept the wire harness really tight and compact under the tank. I was quite pleased. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• zibbit u2

TT Bronze Member

343 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 09:49 PM

graphics came in today... hehe

she almost looks like a new RM

Edited by rs25, March 28, 2012 - 09:49 PM.

• zibbit u2

TT Bronze Member

343 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 04:29 PM

She's getting close.... but I have to admit, the clarke tank is the biggest piece of garbage for fitment that I've ever had the unfortunate opportunity to install. Everything with the mounting system "should" have been easy... I mean unbolt the stock tank mounts, bolt up to clarke tank... well.. that wasn't working. I had to oblong the mounting holes to pull the brackets outward (wouldn't clear the frame for width), then once I managed to wrangle the tank into position I realized that the mounts weren't far enough away from the tank so I had to fabricate some 1/2" spacers... MY GOD.. for something that's supposed to be bolt up.. it sure wasn't. Anyways, without further stalling here's a couple sneak peak shots. I've still got a fair bit to do, but.. she is coming together.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Just_a_trail_rider

Get Help Now

6,822 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 30, 2012 - 09:45 PM

SWEET!

Now... where did you get the yellow plastics from. Is that UFO??

• zibbit u2

TT Bronze Member

343 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 12:12 AM

it's the original One Industries Hurricane kit.. I think it's about the only kit in existence now in north america...

oh.. I found the kit here on TT in the classifieds about 1.5yrs ago

Edited by rs25, March 31, 2012 - 12:13 AM.

• MANIAC998
4,953 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 31, 2012 - 04:44 AM

:thumbsup: Wow! That's is coming along really nicely. If it was mine, I think I'd have to throw some Supermoto tires on it and keep it off of the dirt! She's looking good!!! Maniac

• zibbit u2

TT Bronze Member

343 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 11:00 AM

That's the plan :thumbsup:

• zibbit u2

TT Bronze Member

343 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 08:18 PM

well small update. I was fitting the front brakes and I started the reverse bleeding process using the new front line.. which I was unsuccessful in doing. :thumbsup:

I originally was going to try and use a 11mm Brembo M/C from a older KTM, unfortunately it never came with a brake light switch (but the line fitting was correct for that M/C), and the lever was broken... but thru further investigation to get the replacement parts for the M/C, I found out that the switch is on back order, and the lever was discontinued thru Brembo. So, if you could find the parts in stock from a supplier, the cost associated with the parts were astronomical to make the venture not economically feasible.

On to M/C #2 which is a 13mm Brembo M/C with external reservoir and a micro. That M/C was in MUCH better condition, from a MUCH newer bike... not to mention but the piston size is correct for the size of the caliper, unfortunately the brake line won't work with the setup. This style of M/C will only accept a banjo bolt fitting to connect the brake hose... well that's where my problem resides. The brake line I got custom built from GalferUSA has a fitting which doesn't use a banjo, it threads directly into the M/C... so, I contacted GalferUSA to see if they could change the fitting along with an ETA, unfortunately shipping costs and time constraints aren't feasible with the short riding season out here. So off to Edmonton I go... I'm just glad I found a shop that can build DOT brake lines within a "reasonable" distance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.