2011 YZ 450 Too LOUD !!!

20 replies to this topic
  • c&b

Posted April 13, 2011 - 05:46 AM

My 2011 YZ 450 is loud. Exhaust I can deal with but has anyone modified the air box so it's not so loud? It's fine for a moto or 2 but all day it's too much.Vet rider so not worried about losing some power. Any one run a FMF Q? Thanks in advance.

• mattman88

Posted April 13, 2011 - 07:31 AM

Just the other day I put an fmf q4 on my 07 yz450f and it made the bike sound so much more quiet but gave it a slightly deeper sound. I didnt get to go on a full day ride to be able to tell how much it may have lost. I did go for a small test run and didnt fell much of a loss at all, if any. The install process was very easy. I dont have any db measurements of how loud my bike used to be compared to as it is now but I do know it was a noticable sound difference and not a noticable different in power loss/gain.

• Steel Panther

Posted April 13, 2011 - 07:38 AM

get a different helmet, riding my friends 2010 I notice the air box noise with my old thor helmet(its a size too large) with my helmet cam mounts. I can't hear it at all with my shoei vfx-w on. Still I don't see why it annoys people, its like riding any other bike with no seat.

• Davey762

Posted April 13, 2011 - 11:00 AM

Ear plugs? Personally, I love the intake noise.

• motoman808

Posted April 13, 2011 - 03:23 PM

i had my first ride yesterday on mine thought it had 2 pipes one in front and one in back.rock hard seat bugs me more than noise.

• steve_97060

Posted April 13, 2011 - 03:43 PM

I don't notice the airbox/intake noise at all, let alone it being loud enough to bother someone...

• ChillyKTM

Posted April 13, 2011 - 03:55 PM

me either ( 2011 ) ...i was anticipating this "loud noise up front "due to all the posts i had read before riding mine for first time....but it wasn't that at all !! and i like the different sound it has , but wouldnt call it Loud at all

• brentn

Posted April 13, 2011 - 03:59 PM

ya big baby :thumbsup:

Never had a problem, heard alot of people whine about it though.

I did the airbox mod and now at WOT it hurts the ears, sounds even better :thumbsup:

• MrBlahh

Posted April 13, 2011 - 04:41 PM

take it from someone who wears hearing aids, if it bothers you when you ride, it is doing damage

• Chazmagnum

Posted April 13, 2011 - 06:31 PM

My 2011 YZ 450 is loud. Exhaust I can deal with but has anyone modified the air box so it's not so loud? It's fine for a moto or 2 but all day it's too much.Vet rider so not worried about losing some power. Any one run a FMF Q? Thanks in advance.

I mean yeah you can kinda hear it, but loud? Naa. Maybe a TTr would be quieter.:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • c&b

Posted April 13, 2011 - 07:31 PM

I guess it bothers some and not others. Thanks for the positive feed back and sugestions. I guess if you shrowded the intake/air box you would affect power too much. Have had over 40 bikes and most with pipes with none bothering me before.

• jacobdewey

Posted April 13, 2011 - 10:22 PM

I kinda like being able to hear my bike over the buzz of the others when i race. :thumbsup:

• Ron Hamp

Posted April 14, 2011 - 07:27 AM

in my opinion pepole should be wearing ear plugs in daily life as there are places in this world that are way to loud big citys and theres is just not much you can do about it .

• swaldrop

Posted April 14, 2011 - 06:30 PM

The only time I ever notice even a hint of difference is when I have the high idle knob pulled out or when I am idling through the pits on my way to and from the track. Other than that, when I am riding the bike at speed I seriously can not hear any difference at all in this bike from any other Yamaha I have owned (or any other bike for that matter).

Maybe I got a good one?

I think it's nuts that so many people complain about the intake noise.

• usp4u

Posted April 15, 2011 - 03:53 AM

I notice it everytime I'm on my cousin's '10. Bothersome ? No. Annoying ? Yes.

• eazrider

Posted April 15, 2011 - 06:52 AM

Love the sound of that intake under full throttle, and I have used earplugs whenever I ride since I started vintage racing 20 years ago. It's a great habit to get into. The intake "roar" is not sufficient that anyone not on the scooter would notice...IMHO...

• whiskey wheelie

Posted April 15, 2011 - 09:18 PM

I run the Q. I dont notice the airbox noise anymore unless I paying attention. It seems to run pretty good wtih the q on it for a muffler like that which generally is plugged up but still runs strong and does make it sound different and pretty quiet on the exhaust tone. With the track getting lower in sound checks and the races here in CA I really had no choice. Youll get used to the airbox noise..

• HighRevz

Posted April 17, 2011 - 05:52 AM

If it's too loud, then you're too old! :thumbsup: Lol, just kidding. Make sure you get the FMF "Power Bomb" or "Mega Bomb" head pipe.

....Dies anyone know the difference between the two??

• BBrown626

Posted April 17, 2011 - 07:04 AM

Too loud? Wear earplugs. That is the cheapest, most effective option where you keep the bike. You could buy a really loud exhaust pipe that will make you forget about the intake noise. I've gotten use to it.

• grayracer513

Posted April 17, 2011 - 08:39 AM

If it's too loud, then you're too old! :thumbsup: Lol, just kidding. Make sure you get the FMF "Power Bomb" or "Mega Bomb" head pipe.

....Dies anyone know the difference between the two??

Yes, but there's only one option for the '10-'11, and neither one will do more than trim 1 decibel at best. Besides, the OP is complaining about intake noise, and somehow I doubt an exhaust system will affect that.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.