Melted rear reservoir

13 replies to this topic
  • Shawbridge Husky

Posted April 30, 2001 - 12:40 PM

Anyone ever melt a rear brake reservoir? I should of spaced out my e-serices pipe from frame but didn't 'cause I wanted to go riding. Guess what melted. :) How much gap is needed. Do you use heat sheild there?

• Elan

Posted April 30, 2001 - 03:16 PM

There is a heat resistant packing, or you could use a old knobbie off of an old tire and velcro it on or somthing.

• yzernie

Posted April 30, 2001 - 03:39 PM

Never heard of such a thing happening. My Stroker pipe has about 1/2"-3/4" of clearance at that area and no melt down. Must be a clearance problem with the pipe if it is closer than that.

One thing I did do, (because it looks trick), is get a billet aluminum reservoir from Stroker. They are melt proof and they look really cool.

yzernie

• Norman

Posted April 30, 2001 - 04:35 PM

My eseries is hanging on the wall in the garage for the same reason, that and I never could keep any rear brakes due to the fact that the fluid was getting so hot before it ever reached the caliper, stock pipe no problems

Norman K.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted May 01, 2001 - 05:30 AM

Hugh, Yes!!! This happend to me a year ago on my 98'. I think I chrashed on that side and the pipe rubbed against the resivoir. I bought a new resivoir and they're really cheap, I think I paid $10 bucks or something. You probably just fell on it. I never any more problems with it. See ya,

Dan

• Sandracer_uk

Posted May 01, 2001 - 06:34 AM

yep mine did that,,i just took some of the heattape off the orriginal side panal and safety wired it to the brake,,,no probs,,althought the header pipe seems very close to the radiator

• Shawbridge Husky

Posted May 01, 2001 - 07:05 AM

Thanks for the great feedback guys! The reason I was asking is that my Yamaha dealer wants $160.00 canadian for that measly little part! I will pick up a used one from my local mechanic or just order one from the US like I do mostly everything else. Will probably machine my own if and when I have time. FYI a gas tank Canadian : $415.00 US $155.00 Us frenchmen are being ripped off!

Sandracer, my fat boy header pipe actually touches the bottom of the radiator. Think I will try and readjust over the weekend and maybe even purposly dent the bottom of rad in a way that will not show.

Thanks for all your comments.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 01, 2001 - 09:15 PM

I put a piece of aluminum tape on my res top and side to help protect it a little.
don't know if it helps or not but it can't hurt.
Mine was developing like a heat cracks on the mounting flange.

G4

------------------
NOPE..........BOY.......
That's not thunder ridin' your BUTT .........
It's a whole Damn HURRICANE!!!!!!

• enmerdeur

Posted May 01, 2001 - 09:35 PM

Hugh,

I know what you mean. When I lived in Ontario I went to the Honda dealer to get a rear fender for my CR and he wanted $95. I told him to go pound sand!

------------------
SHN
99'YZ-400 (Mine)
00' TT-R 125 (Hers)
91' KX-125 (Son #1)
93' CR-80 (Just sold it. Looking for another TTR125 for Son #2)
99' PW-80 (Son #3)

• DaveJ

Posted May 01, 2001 - 01:30 PM

I've noticed that the factory guys don't run a rear cylinder reservoir. I'm sure it's more for weight than melt down reasons.

I have the same pipe by the way. No problems...yet.

• Norman

Posted May 01, 2001 - 02:11 PM

Yeah Dave I read in one of the magazines about that, said that it is incase the bike is turned upside down in a moto, there is no way for air to enter the enclosed system. Kinda sounded like overkill to me but then again its not like they are paying for it!!

Norman 00' 426

• yzernie

Posted May 01, 2001 - 02:20 PM

Originally posted by Hugh LePage:
Sandracer, my fat boy header pipe actually touches the bottom of the radiator. Think I will try and readjust over the weekend and maybe even purposly dent the bottom of rad in a way that will not show.

Thanks for all your comments.

I think I would rather put a dent in the pipe instead of the radiator. If you were to accidently put to big of a dent in it you would restrict coolant flow. These things run hot enoungh as it is!! :)

yzernie

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 01, 2001 - 02:22 PM

?

[This message has been edited by sirhk100 (edited 05-01-2001).]

• Shawbridge Husky

Posted May 11, 2001 - 07:16 AM

I ordered a new reservoir after all. The guy at the parts counter had made a mistake quoting it at 160.00 initially. It is 24.00 canadaian after all. Don't know why I didn't think of it sooner but will simply make a small alu bracket to lower the reservoir about 1/2" away from pipe and voila!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.