How to adjust gear shifter?

7 replies to this topic
  • a-tweezy

Posted April 11, 2011 - 07:45 PM

I have been trying to figure this out for a few days now and cant seem to find out how to raise the gear shifter so i can fit my foot under it better. It definatly is not made stock to fit a 14 boot so i really need to raiset before i ride again. Thanks for the help

• KJ790

Posted April 11, 2011 - 07:55 PM

The only way to do it is to take it off and rotate it up one spline and put it back on.

• LoneStarKTM

Posted April 11, 2011 - 08:59 PM

Sometimes a little longer lever will help too.

Adjusting it so your foot fits under it sometimes will leave it high enough to be a slight PITA to downshift.

• Lankyrider

Posted April 11, 2011 - 09:25 PM

This may help: http://www.hdmoto.com/Articles.asp?id=132:thumbsup:

• SleepyHeadYZF

Posted April 11, 2011 - 09:28 PM

Sometimes a little longer lever will help too.
Adjusting it so your foot fits under it sometimes will leave it high enough to be a slight PITA to downshift.

True, you get "Floaty Foot". Where you have to take your foot off the peg to down shift. As stated above, you'd probably be happier with a longer shift lever in the long run.

• a-tweezy

Posted April 12, 2011 - 09:06 AM

So i found a shifter from Hammerhead Designs and a tip that is made for a size 14 boot, which is my size. Will this fix the problem entirely if i just get it and install it? or will it still need to be fine tuned to fit anyway?

• nokickstandsallowed

Posted April 12, 2011 - 09:21 AM

So i found a shifter from Hammerhead Designs and a tip that is made for a size 14 boot, which is my size. Will this fix the problem entirely if i just get it and install it? or will it still need to be fine tuned to fit anyway?

Trial and error can only answer that at this point. It also depends on if you reset the new shifter to spec height as per manual specs in relation to your foot peg. When installing the shift pedal onto the shift shaft, its' center is suppose to be about 1.4 mm (0.06 in.) above the top of the footrest according to the manual.

• Lankyrider

Posted April 12, 2011 - 10:56 AM

You have to adjust the height of the tip and seperately the height of the lever. It's an easy procedure but you have to do it somewhere where you can ride not in the garage.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.