Best practice tips?

25 replies to this topic
  • WR400inOZ

Posted April 17, 2001 - 07:01 PM

Yeah take Bills advise....its not the best look when you end up with your ankles around your ears, hanging onto your handle bars after backing off a little too much for the jumps :) Thats not a really its not :D

• freestyle111

Posted April 18, 2001 - 04:50 PM

when i first got my wr i thought it was the most perfectly balanced bike when it came to big seemed like bike just wanted to level itself out naturally.when riding my 2strokes i always have problem with frontend coming up to much when i hit a big jump so i always end up standing on back brakes to level out.i told my buddy how great my wr handled in air and he wanted to check it out for himself.his 1st lap he took it kinda easy,but on 2nd lap he peeled throttle back and hit that first big jump like a bat out of hell and came down nose first like a stalled 747 .i think it was worst face plant ive ever seen.when we were carrying with off track some guy says to him "dont you know your not supposed to let off gas when your jumping a 4stroke".thats when i realized my wr wasnt a perfectly balance machine.the reason bike would level out so perfect without me having to hit back brake was because i was letting off gas and compression was doing braking.the wr compression compensated for my bad jumping buddy didnt have same problem with frontend being to high when he was jumping his 2 stroke .so he just ended up falling from sky like scud missile.[except,i think his impact probably made a bigger crater than a scud missile]

• berudd

Posted April 19, 2001 - 05:59 AM

Try not to compare your progress to the younger guys/kids that you may see riding. They have no fear and bounce much better than we do. My son reminds me of this all the time. Just stick with it and have fun.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pistol_Pete

Posted April 27, 2001 - 09:01 PM

I agree with all the techniques previously mentioned. However, I found that MY best learning tool was consistently crashing and deriving what not to do the next time. I rode 2 strokes forever and I admit the big blues are very intimidating in the beginning but stick with it man, I wouldn't trade it now for anything (ok maybe a 01 WR426)

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 27, 2001 - 09:25 PM

Something I learned recently that made a big difference in turning the beast. When cornering, stand up untill the last possible second when entering the corner than turn.

• Dave_B

Posted April 29, 2001 - 04:31 PM

Thanks again guys for all the help and encouragement, thats what makes this such a great site. Thought I would report on the last couple of rides.

First off I have to admit that setting the bike too the right "sag" should be done before complaining about cornering. :) Mine was almost at five inches, adjusted it too 3 1/2" I also raised the forks in the clamps about 6mm as suggested on this site. Went to a local MX track, found a nice level area, (had too make my own route!) and pounded out laps for 2-3 hours. Verrrry tiring. Have to admit made great improvements over last couple rides in confidence and handling. I think the terrain, very hard packed clay, almost pavement in my opininon, generates best traction on my stock tires. Had the bike running a lot in some areas WOT in 3rd gear. This is a great feeling! Cornering is still tough but I realized a couple times, 3 out of 30 felt real good, reat of the time too slow, too wide, etc.. So the old adage once again proves true, practice will make perfect.

Should also say I started jumping a tabletop at 1/4 throttle 2nd gear. Couple of times landed big time front wheel low, thats hard on the wrists, and other time on the rear wheel. Rode same spot on Saturday and landed flat 10 times straight and that was great. Thought I would try a 5' jump leading too a whoops section, and inadvertantly hit nuetral on the face of the jump :D Near disastrous results I can assure you. That was the end of any jumping for that day.
Anyways thanks for all your help and support guys, and within the next couple weeks I intend to clear that tabletop.

Dave B

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.