weight? ergos?

4 replies to this topic
  • Elan

Posted April 29, 2001 - 06:24 PM

im buying a new bike and i am hoping to get a 426. i was wondering if the stock suspension would be too stiff for me, i am 155lbs. and if the ergonomics would be too cramped, i am 6'1" and i have heard that the YZ is cramped. Also, i was wondering what kind of hop-ups and aftermarket kits any one has, and what they have done to help you and/or your bike. thanks.

• YZ400Court

Posted April 30, 2001 - 06:08 AM

According to race tech the springs stock are for a 200lb rider, but that sure seems heavy for stock. As far as the ergos, If you think it feels cramped you can get the Scotts triple clamp, bar package with adjustable bar location.

Good Luck

Pretend it's flat and give it the gas.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Le_Racer

Posted May 02, 2001 - 06:28 AM

I'm at 145 lbs and the springs are just fine, for the riding position I have a set of Vortex clamps and it open up the cockpit quite a bit, but some likes the stock position also.

• Ga426owner

Posted May 02, 2001 - 07:21 AM

Elan, you are the perfect weight for the suspension. Do not change a thing except for the occasional oil (forks & shock) Valve only for personal comfort. Get rid of the stock bars & top triple clamp, for more room & adjustment for your height. You will be a happy biker

• Boit

Posted May 02, 2001 - 07:27 PM

I echo what the other guys posted. There are many aftermarket pieces to choose from to make the bike suit your personal tastes. Most riders ditch the stock handlebars for something like Pro Tapers(with a matching triple clamp)...or Renthals. The stock chain and sprockets are usually substituted soon for stronger units. A new and intesting upper triple clamp is a unit from Oberg. The bar clamps fit inside deep grooves that arrange front to back so that you can position your bars as far forward ...or back as you'd like. Great concept! If you can afford it, I'd recommend using race fuel and jetting accordingly. VP C-12 is a good choice that isn't exorbitantly expensive. Philips B35 is another good choice. Change your oil VERY often....keep a clean air filter on(and don't ride right after installing a fresh filter) and you will really enjoy this machine.

Related Content

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.