wr or yz 426

12 replies to this topic
  • shelbyguy

Posted April 10, 2011 - 06:37 AM

what are some distinguishing factors for WR vs YZ

background.
2002 wr 426

bought the bike with boxes of parts, not running with a WA state title and plate

its titled as a WR

i went to do the grey wire mod and there is NO grey wire....
was thinking its canadian or possibly a yz that got converted into wr and titled?

Edited by shelbyguy, April 10, 2011 - 06:55 AM.

• miweber929

Posted April 10, 2011 - 02:48 PM

Don't believe the 400's and 426's had a grey wire.

Or you have an aftermarket CDI.

Or you're looking in the wrong place on that bike.

• shelbyguy

Posted April 10, 2011 - 04:55 PM

i found the 2 wire lead on the cdi side of the frame.

the lead has a black wire and a grey wire coming from the cdi box to the plug, the black wire continues after the plug but yet where the grey wire should be its plugged and just ends there.

followed the wire schematic also for a wr426 and im just kinda stumped.

• Pooley

Posted April 10, 2011 - 06:39 PM

Don't believe the 400's and 426's had a grey wire.

Or you have an aftermarket CDI.

Or you're looking in the wrong place on that bike.

The 426 (US Ver) definitely has a grey wire from the factory.

Another tell-tale is the carb. The WR came shipped with the ACV circuit, the YZ didn't. The YZ has no coolant reservoir under the left rear side-panel. The gear ratios are different in the trannys, although that would be a bit of a teardown just to check. Spring rates were different. The YZ didn't have any sort of lighting at all, nor did it have a kickstand. Another difference was the rear wheel. The WR has a 18" rear, and the YZ a 19".

What kind of pipe does it have? A stock WR pipe has a spark arrestor, and an insert with a hole the size of your pinky finger. No clue what the YZ was shipped with, but it wasn't quiet.

Honestly, if it was titled as a WR, and you have a tail-light and headlight. It probably started out as a WR.

• shelbyguy

Posted April 11, 2011 - 04:10 PM

well. its botched together.

has aftermarket header and pipe.
17" wheels
has a 39mm 2005 yz carb as thats all i could find locally..
has aftermarket kickstand, no overflow, and 5 spds.

• dustdogg

Posted April 11, 2011 - 04:46 PM

The YZ's had an aluminum subframe and the WR's were steel.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 02WR426Cali

Posted April 11, 2011 - 09:50 PM

If I remember right the gray wire is in a six loom wire connector, but it's been a long time since I did mine. Search on here and you will find the correct info for a 426.

Does it have a kickstand? Stock or aftermarket? The stock WR stand was steel with a big spring and bolts onto the frame with no mods. There is an extra tab on the WR frame for the bottom bolt of the kickstand.

• djrevz

Posted April 26, 2011 - 09:27 AM

yes 'uk' wr's have NO grey wire mod, my wr is an 02 426, not a grey wire connection in sight, as 02wr426cali stated... the wr frame has extra lugs were the kick stand bolts on were as the yz doesn't... if you require pictures i have both wr and yz 426's... another way to tell the difference is left side of the frame were the oil cap is just above you'll see to bolt holes were the reg/rec sits on the wr's were as the yz's don't have them.... the most simple way would be calling up yamaha and giving them your frame numbers and they'll tell you exactly what the bike is.... hope this helps....

• shelbyguy

Posted April 26, 2011 - 03:11 PM

yes 'uk' wr's have NO grey wire mod, my wr is an 02 426, not a grey wire connection in sight, as 02wr426cali stated... the wr frame has extra lugs were the kick stand bolts on were as the yz doesn't... if you require pictures i have both wr and yz 426's... another way to tell the difference is left side of the frame were the oil cap is just above you'll see to bolt holes were the reg/rec sits on the wr's were as the yz's don't have them.... the most simple way would be calling up yamaha and giving them your frame numbers and they'll tell you exactly what the bike is.... hope this helps....

no frame numbers anywhere as the last owner powdercoated over everything.

the tabs are there for the VR..the grey wire is in a 2 wire loom according to online stuff and this bike or cdi just doent have one.

there is a tab for the lower bolt on the kick stand.

dont care anymore. just gonna ride the damn thing.

:thumbsup:

• Kawidad

Posted April 27, 2011 - 07:34 AM

You do have the gray wire. It is in a 2 wire loom on the right side of the engine near the CDI box under the gas tank.

• shelbyguy

Posted April 27, 2011 - 12:28 PM

You do have the gray wire. It is in a 2 wire loom on the right side of the engine near the CDI box under the gas tank.

no sir.

i do not.

that 2 wire loom has 1 wire in it and the other side has rubber plugs in both ends of the connectors.

1 black wire. NO grey wire

• Kawidad

Posted April 28, 2011 - 07:46 AM

no sir.

i do not.

that 2 wire loom has 1 wire in it and the other side has rubber plugs in both ends of the connectors.

1 black wire. NO grey wire

Ah, ok. I'll take your word for it, since all WR sold in the US are supposed to have them.

• shelbyguy

Posted April 28, 2011 - 08:55 PM

yeah. i searched over and over, several threads....

then finally i just went to the service manual and followed wires.

/blah guess my bike may have come from canada?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.