2011 450 quick question

10 replies to this topic
  • powers450f

Posted April 09, 2011 - 06:54 PM

I just broke in my 11 yz 450 and changed the oil checked the valves ect. I noticed that the oil in the sight window now is not going down to where you can't see it like it during break in. After it sits the oil is still visible in the window. Is this normal? Note, I noticed that before I changed the oil it would always seem to go down to where I couldn't see it...

• powers450f

Posted April 09, 2011 - 07:38 PM

Or I guess my question is how long does it take for the oil to leave the site window? I'm a freak and I must know these things! lol

• 2grimjim

Posted April 09, 2011 - 07:43 PM

Or I guess my question is how long does it take for the oil to leave the site window? I'm a freak and I must know these things! lol

I suppose you could sit next to your bike with a stopwatch while you are looking at the sight glass.:cheers:

• powers450f

Posted April 10, 2011 - 07:34 AM

Takes about 8 hours.

• Chazmagnum

Posted April 10, 2011 - 09:09 AM

sounds like after you changed the oil you ran the bike but the oil didnt get very warm so. with semi cold oil it takes longer to drain.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • powers450f

Posted April 10, 2011 - 09:15 AM

No, actually I put about two hours on it and I guess it just takes a little longer to drain back then my 06.

• brentn

Posted April 10, 2011 - 10:17 AM

Mine leaves the sight sometimes in 10 minutes, sometimes an hour, never longer though. I think it all depends on the position of the oil pump or something when the engine stops.. No idea really though.

Surprised that some people's are taking 8 hours to go away, but then again no matter what the time I don't foresee any problem either way.

• Chazmagnum

Posted April 10, 2011 - 04:31 PM

Mine never takes more than a few minutes when hot. I'm wondering if you should drain and measure how much comes out? Just to be on the safe side.

• ChillyKTM

Posted April 11, 2011 - 06:04 AM

I hate the window >>> had one on an old 250 . Mine is always showing too much oil during the proper "time " to check it ... a few minutes after warming it up . And does not drain from window completely for a long while .....no worries as long as your oil changes are precise with measurements.

• rdefonce

Posted April 11, 2011 - 08:43 AM

You can't go wrong if you drain it completely, then add 1qt of oil (without changing the filter)
That's the correct amount regardless of what the window tells you.;-)

• yz450fcranker

Posted April 12, 2011 - 11:35 PM

go give it a ride maybe both you and the sight glass can fit on the bike

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.