To Repack Silencer or Not?

6 replies to this topic
  • Pooley

Posted April 09, 2011 - 01:45 PM

Last fall I had a bit of a mishap with a creek and wound up completely submerging my WR426 with a FMF Q silencer, which was repacked earlier in the season.

The bike was cleaned up and it runs fine now. I took it for a test run around my house today, and I think my exhaust may be a bit louder than is legal here in Michigan (94 dB limit), but I honestly don't remember.

I know that the packing got soaked with water and there was probably even some debris that came down the exhaust pipe.

My question is this, would the water and debris cause any damage to the packing, or require me to repack the silencer? Last year, before the creek and submarine incident, I was running 94dB.

Thanks

• 2grimjim

Posted April 09, 2011 - 06:05 PM

I don't see any reason to repack. The water shouldn't damage the packing. If the silencer is still wet inside it may affect the sound output untill it's completely dry.

• Pooley

Posted April 10, 2011 - 06:33 PM

I don't see any reason to repack. The water shouldn't damage the packing. If the silencer is still wet inside it may affect the sound output untill it's completely dry.

Should be plenty dry by now, the creek incident was the 3rd week of October :cheers:.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 92db

Posted April 18, 2011 - 09:30 AM

Should be plenty dry by now, the creek incident was the 3rd week of October :thumbsup:.

How many hours were on the muffler before the rinse cycle?

• Pooley

Posted April 19, 2011 - 06:38 PM

Packing was roughly 40-50 hours of riding. I am a trail rider and run in the lower RPMs, I do not run at the rev-limiter. Not sure if this has any bearing or not.

• Yamaguy55

Posted April 19, 2011 - 06:47 PM

Soggy 'glass can hold water for a very long time. Look at attics after a roof leak. It isn't so expensive that you can't do it. I'd repack, if it were mine.
Last time I did submarine duty was with a 2stroke, lots easier to dry out.

• Pooley

Posted May 02, 2011 - 08:09 AM

Just to update in case it happens to anyone else.

I went to soundcheck this weekend before the club event, and was tested at 101 dB. This pipe was running 94-95 dB all summer before the creek. I had to throw on the factory pipe with Vortip for the weekend because I forgot the packing I had just bought the day before. Oh well, I got to ride and it wasn't like it was a race or anything. The low end grunt was way less with stock pipe and Vortip.

I should have repacked the FMF Q.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.