Burning GoPro footage to a DVD?

9 replies to this topic
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted April 09, 2011 - 10:24 AM

I was wanting to get a DVD burner for my Laptop so I could burn all these races I have filmed with my HD GoPro camera.

I just dont know which one I need to get. I was looking at this one from Wal-Mart made by LG, would this be the kind I would need?

http://www.walmart.c...-Black/14525939

I have the footage's from previous races still on the SD cards and also they are in my Laptop under My Documents under Videos.

Posted April 09, 2011 - 02:28 PM

You need to have the programs to create the movie before you can burn it into a DVD. I use iPhoto to upload the video, then iMovie to put it into the correct format before I transfer it to iDvd and burn it to a disk. But i think these applications are only available on macs...

• CaptainKnobby

Posted April 09, 2011 - 05:59 PM

I have a PC (not an Apple). What kind of movie maker can I use? Am I going to have to buy a program like Nero Multimedia Suite or Sony Vegas or something of that nature?

• jcalis

Posted April 09, 2011 - 06:22 PM

What software are you using to edit your videos with now?
Keep in mind the nice HD quality original footage in either 1080p or 720p (1920x1080 or 1280 x 720) will be reduced to standard definition (720x480) when creating the DVD video disc. It will still look pretty good, but it will loose a lot of fine detail in the conversion.

Most HD editing programs will have a save to DVD video option.
I have tried Sony Vegas and Pinnacle 14, both will allow you to create a DVD video from your editing project.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted April 10, 2011 - 06:57 AM

What software are you using to edit your videos with now?
Keep in mind the nice HD quality original footage in either 1080p or 720p (1920x1080 or 1280 x 720) will be reduced to standard definition (720x480) when creating the DVD video disc. It will still look pretty good, but it will loose a lot of fine detail in the conversion.

Most HD editing programs will have a save to DVD video option.
I have tried Sony Vegas and Pinnacle 14, both will allow you to create a DVD video from your editing project.

I dont use any editing software. I just transfer the footage from my GoPro HD camera to my computer by taking the SD card out of the camera and putting it in the SD card slot on my laptop and then transfer the video to my Documents and then into My Videos.

By doing it this way .....I then have the videos stored onto my computer. Then I just thought if I had a DVD burner all I had to do is drag the clip/video from My Videos into the DVD burner and click burn and volia!

I bought a hewlett packard DVD burner last night and found out you have to have some type of editing software also in order to burn a DVD.

The hp came with editing software called Nero for certain types of formats but unfortunately it doesnt recognize the type of format for the GoPro.

So I"m going to have to now research which editing software to purchase that will recognize the GoPro format in which I think is an MP4 format ..correct?

Is there any editing software out there that will keep the HD quality of my vids? Will useing Bluray DVD discs or HD DVD discs keep the HD quality of my vids after they are burnt onto a disc and then later watched on my Bluray disc player?

• SpED66

Posted April 10, 2011 - 10:40 AM

So I"m going to have to now research which editing software to purchase that will recognize the GoPro format in which I think is an MP4 format ..correct? Is there any editing software out there that will keep the HD quality of my vids?

I see where you posted in the Convert, then edit HD in Windows Movie Maker for XP - Tutorial thread, so you have an answer now without buying additional software.

If all you want to do is transfer your footage clips to DVD in order to clear up space on your hard drive, your Nero software can do that. You'll want to make a data disc in that case... not a dvd for viewing on your tv. So make sure you select the right burning option in Nero.

If you want a dvd that you can pop into a standalone player, & watch it like a movie on your tv, you might need to do a bit more. Here's a freeware program that will let you do just that.
http://www.dvdflick.net/
Of course, if you follow the tutorial I linked to above, once your files are converted you may be able to use Nero for the rest of your needs. But I don't use Nero so I'm not sure.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted April 10, 2011 - 10:47 AM

If all you want to do is transfer your footage clips to DVD in order to clear up space on your hard drive, your Nero software can do that. You'll want to make a data disc in that case... not a dvd for viewing on your tv. So make sure you select the right burning option in Nero.

If you want a dvd that you can pop into a standalone player, & watch it like a movie on your tv, you'll need to do a bit more. Here's a freeware program that will let you do just that.
http://www.dvdflick.net/

Yes thats what I want to do. Be able to burn my footage on a DVD and view it on a dvd player to watch on my TV or my neighbors and friends home TV.

I also would like to be able to edit it to take stuff out ....Like...sitting at the gate waiting for the race class ahead of us to come off the track.

Wife is here now editing some of my races as we speak. I will learn how later on but just want the ones I have now on dvd to let my buddies watch it at home.

So far she is doing ok with it and knows what you are doing we will see when it is on dvd.

• SpED66

Posted April 10, 2011 - 11:18 AM

Just noticed you're also in VA. North or south? I'm near Martinsville.
Would like to view your vids if you upload any to the web.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted April 10, 2011 - 11:59 AM

Just noticed you're also in VA. North or south? I'm near Martinsville.
Would like to view your vids if you upload any to the web.

I'm west of you about 2 hours up Route 58 just outside of Galax in Independence.

She is burning my footage right now onto dvds and I have some races from down your way at Birch Creek.

Where can I put some up for ya to view at?

• SpED66

Posted April 10, 2011 - 12:09 PM

Youtube & vimeo are popular choices.
Maybe we can hook up for a trail ride sometime. I drive right by you on the way to Hatfield-McCoy 2 or 3 times a year.

You may also be interested in this website.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Who put a pond there? by ZDeWitt

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

KTM 350 EXC-F 2015 by Bryan Bosch

KTM 350 EXC-F 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Let's see pics of your exotic bikes by dirtwiz

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Exotics
  • Hot  796 replies
Forums
Photo

Where/how do I sign up for the give away? by DR.billZ

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  27 replies
Forums
Photo

Grahma Jarvis - Lengendary New by Bryan Bosch

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Husqvarna   Husqvarna 2-Stroke
  • 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.