Gas tank cracks

17 replies to this topic
  • charlieb

Posted August 11, 2003 - 10:15 AM

Has anyone had any problems with their gas tank cracking on the WR450?

• ETP

Posted August 12, 2003 - 03:57 AM

Charlie,
No cracks that I have seen on mine, but I have not looked. Where is your tank cracking?
Are the mounts seating properly? Maybe you bottom your suspension alot on MX tracks???

• charlieb

Posted August 12, 2003 - 05:00 AM

The cracks are all along the bottom and front part of the tank. There is a pile of 03 YZ and WR tanks at my local dealership all with cracks in them.

I do not ride MX tracks.

• ETP

Posted August 12, 2003 - 06:00 PM

Just inspected my tank while on the bike. No cracks seen. I will pull it off soon and take a better look.
There was a post awhile ago about a 426 that completely torched on the trail. Don't think the guy ever figured out why. Maybe his tank cracked.
Thanks for the warning.

• endurodog

Posted August 12, 2003 - 06:28 PM

The guy with a torched tank, and bike, had an aftermarket tank.

• ddialogue

Posted August 13, 2003 - 04:56 AM

The cracks are all along the bottom and front part of the tank. There is a pile of 03 YZ and WR tanks at my local dealership all with cracks in them.

charlieb,

Would it be possible for you to get a picture of a 03 WR450 tank that is cracked? I would like to see the general location of some of the cracks so I'll know what to look for.

I had my tank off last night and inspected it thoroughly and didn't see any cracking on mine.

• SMD

Posted August 13, 2003 - 05:20 AM

This problem was prominent on the 2000 YZ tanks..... I can attest.That was the first year they went to a thinner plastic. Hope this isn't the case with the 450

• chopper357

Posted August 13, 2003 - 06:37 AM

is it cracking where the bolts are? if so they may be too tight, or try puting a rubber washer on it :)

• charlieb

Posted August 13, 2003 - 04:14 PM

I will be picking up the tank from the dealer tomorrow, they are not warrantying it, they say a gas tank is not covered. I will take pics of it and post them for everyone to see.
Some of the cracks are around the bolts but the majority of them are no where near any stress points on the tank.

I ordered an IMS tank instead of purchasing a new factory tank. I do not want to go through this again, it was scary enough the first time riding back to camp leaving a trail of gas and soaking my boots in gas.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ddialogue

Posted August 13, 2003 - 04:24 PM

Thanks Charlieb. We look forward to seeing the photos.

• charlieb

Posted August 14, 2003 - 08:00 AM

OK as promised here are the pics of the cracks. I will just post a link so that anyone on a dial up is not forced to wait for them

http://www.az-fun.com/Pages/tank.htm

sorry the pics are not the greatest.

• The_Blue_One

Posted August 14, 2003 - 12:47 PM

Thanks CharlieB I'll have to check my tank when i get home.Looks to be in a low stress zone. :) Maybe it's a good thing i have the extra stocker.

:D

• yamahasocal450

Posted August 14, 2003 - 12:51 PM

maybe its from the sun or a heat source like the radiators because it is right behind hte radiators :)

• GrahamO

Posted August 14, 2003 - 04:04 PM

Yeah, the one guy, whose motorcycle burned to a crisp...

Here's a picture of his cracked tank. The seat is not rock solid, and bends under your weight over bumps. If you're riding forward, all that weight is distributed to the gas tank, causing it to bend. The gas tank ain't supposed to bend much, so it cracks instead.

Just keep an eye out for cracks in your tank and remember that plastic tanks are NOT REPAIRABLE, no matter how much plastiweld someone tells you to use.

• Indy_WR450

Posted August 14, 2003 - 05:50 PM

I have never seen a tank crack like that. Wow! Did it take some big hits? I cant believe that it was caused by rider weight on the tank. Cant be from the shrouds being on to tight either. :)

• RichBaker

Posted August 14, 2003 - 06:59 PM

My 90 YZWR developed cracks similar to those...obviously(to me) they came from sitting up on the tank in turns and thru rough stuff when I was tired.....
The ones in the blue tank look like they're from squeezing the tank with your knees.
Just my .02....

• GrahamO

Posted August 14, 2003 - 07:48 PM

...it was scary enough the first time riding back to camp leaving a trail of gas and soaking my boots in gas.

I didn't read that part until just now. My motorcycle lighting on fire underneath me and the events which followed were the scariest times of my entire life. Once gas goes it goes fast and it doesn't stop until all you have left is a charred frame and a front tire. And when it happens to light your gas-soaked boots on fire they'll be too hot to take off.

Perhaps my experience left me a bit of a fanatic on this point, but I do not plan on ever stepping down from this soapbox:

When your bike starts leaking (1) shut it off (2) walk it home. There's no reason this could happen to me and not to you.

Okay... the preaching is over for now...

• ROOKYRIDER

Posted August 25, 2003 - 08:00 PM

i have a 2000 wr tank that cracked around the reserve area and anyone i know that had a yamaha had tank issues.try using a breather hose on your gas cap and dont go with the facory replacement.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.