99 WR400 Rebuild

45 replies to this topic
  • Markjb85

Posted April 07, 2011 - 10:43 PM

Hi Guys thought id share my rebuild of my WR, i think it has got a tad out of hand from what i first intended.

It first started with an eBay purchase sight unseen, it looked better in the pics but it was a good runner and had new tires so i thought i would fix it up a little.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I brought new plastics, pipe, bars, chain, sprockets, rear disk, new pads, headlight, vapor trail tech speedo etc. It came up nice but still rode the same.

Posted Image

I took it out a few times and had some fun, then it developed a water leak at the bottom of the barrel at the front of the engine. Then i went shopping on eBay again and brought a gasket kit, every bearing, cam chain and all the bits i needed. I stripped the bike down and fought with the swingarm bolt and eventually got it apart and down to a bare frame.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I then got the Frame and engine Soda blasted which turned out great, now time to paint it all and put i tall together.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Once the frame was painted i cleaned up all the bolts and painted the brackets etc. I then put the motor back in the frame and pulled the top end off to replace the gaskets.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also decided to replace the piston and rings while i had it apart so once i purchase them i will put the top end back on.

I then sand blasted all the brake calipers, pegs, levers etc and painted them.

Posted Image

I got a bit carried away with the swingarm, i polished the sides and top and painted the rest. Came out pretty nice i reckon.

Posted Image

This weekend ill re assemble the brakes and handles etc and put them back on.

This is how the bike sits now

Posted Image

• mikewrf18

Posted April 08, 2011 - 02:21 AM

Great work, and attention to detail! :cheers: I look forward to seeing it completed and the pics along the way. Welcome to TT by the way.

• MANIAC998

Posted April 08, 2011 - 03:32 AM

Take great care in flushing out that frame! I had mine sandblasted once, and thought that I had blocked off all of the oil passages correctly, but then I decided to flush out the frame to be safe and I couldn't believe how much grit came out!!! You don't want that stuff to go thru your brand new engine!!! Maniac

• Markjb85

Posted April 08, 2011 - 04:01 AM

Take great care in flushing out that frame! I had mine sandblasted once, and thought that I had blocked off all of the oil passages correctly, but then I decided to flush out the frame to be safe and I couldn't believe how much grit came out!!! You don't want that stuff to go thru your brand new engine!!! Maniac

I definately will be flushing it out, it was soda blasted though so hopefully it isnt too bad it is only baking soda after all.

I still have a long way to go with it yet ill get it done one day.

• DB 450r

Posted April 08, 2011 - 11:32 AM

I love frame up restorations!! I had no idea you can just sodablas an engine like that??!?! any damage to the seals or rubber parts?

Did you add any type of finish to the engine after it was blasted? like clearcoat

You got me thinking, i might get my engine done now.

• redswr

Posted April 08, 2011 - 12:36 PM

Awesome man you beat me to it! I've got a 99 that I was considering doing the same things to but now that I've seen yours I really want to!

• Markjb85

Posted April 08, 2011 - 04:51 PM

I love frame up restorations!! I had no idea you can just sodablas an engine like that??!?! any damage to the seals or rubber parts?

Did you add any type of finish to the engine after it was blasted? like clearcoat

You got me thinking, i might get my engine done now.

The engine came up great best thing about soda blasting is you dont have to clean any thing like you do with sand blasting. The parts went in very dirty and oily and came out great.

I painted the engine with 3m aluminium engine enamal, im going to do the side cases in a darker gray like factory.

Apparantly soda blasting doesnt damage rubbers or seals and they can even take a layer of paint off at a time, i highly reccommend it.

• shelbyguy

Posted April 09, 2011 - 06:52 AM

Posted Image

what can you tell me about this jack?

ive been searching for something like this for my lift.

great build btw. im doing one also. maybe should copy and paste it here.

• Markjb85

Posted April 10, 2011 - 08:47 PM

what can you tell me about this jack?

ive been searching for something like this for my lift.

great build btw. im doing one also. maybe should copy and paste it here.

Not sure my dad got it with the lift, the photo is the only info on it.

Posted Image

I got some more done on the weekend, its slowly coming together.

Posted Image

New switch block

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looking more and more like a bike every day

Posted Image

• fourstrokin650

Posted April 11, 2011 - 07:24 AM

Wow! Nice job. Are you going to want to get that thing dirty when you are done? :cheers:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Markjb85

Posted April 12, 2011 - 10:09 PM

Wow! Nice job. Are you going to want to get that thing dirty when you are done? :cheers:

thanks mate, yeah im sure for the first few rides i wont want to go thru any mud and get the thing dirty but im rebuilding it to ride not to sit in the shed and look out so it will definitely get dirty.

It should ride like a new bike when im done hopefully.

• Kawidad

Posted April 14, 2011 - 07:22 AM

Nice job, keep the pix coming.

• Markjb85

Posted April 17, 2011 - 08:34 PM

Slowly but surely its getting there, put the radiators and force guards on, most of the electrics.

Posted Image

Nice and clean

Posted Image

Posted Image

I still have to buy a piston so i can get the engine back together. The rear shock is yet to be painted and i also have to buy the pivot links as i had to cut the other ones off when i pulled it apart.

• jwalk91

Posted May 05, 2011 - 06:47 AM

Can't wait to get the money together to fix up my 400, I love these bikes! What type of paint did you use for the frame, I can't seem to find the old PJ1 Yamaha blue anymore.

• Markjb85

Posted May 05, 2011 - 06:38 PM

Can't wait to get the money together to fix up my 400, I love these bikes! What type of paint did you use for the frame, I can't seem to find the old PJ1 Yamaha blue anymore.

i used the PJ1 paint, my local yami dealer stocks it. I done a few coats and then a few coats of clear.

I ordered a piston for it today should have that in the next week or so, im loving the aussie dollar at the moment 1.05usd :thumbsup: i might have to do some more shopping online.

Not much progrss is getting done at the moment im in the process of buying a house and getting married all within the next month :confused: but i will post updates as i go.

• redswr

Posted May 05, 2011 - 07:29 PM

if you don't mind me asking... how much $$$ you got into this thing? i'm still trying to sell my 07 to fix up my 99

• Markjb85

Posted May 05, 2011 - 08:09 PM

if you don't mind me asking... how much $$$ you got into this thing? i'm still trying to sell my 07 to fix up my 99

i think im upto around $6000:aussy: including the bike $2200.

i tend not to try and count or tell the missus how much ive spent on it other wise she would shoot me

A new WR over cost $12500 so i thought if i can rebuild mine for half that why not.

• redswr

Posted May 05, 2011 - 10:13 PM

i think im upto around $6000:aussy: including the bike $2200.

i tend not to try and count or tell the missus how much ive spent on it other wise she would shoot me

A new WR over cost $12500 so i thought if i can rebuild mine for half that why not.

wow $12,500 for a new WR... you got it bad over there...lol. thats like twice what they are here.

• Markjb85

Posted May 05, 2011 - 10:16 PM

wow $12,500 for a new WR... you got it bad over there...lol. thats like twice what they are here.

yeah we get ripped here, damn import duties.

i should buy one and get it shipped over :thumbsup:

• redswr

Posted May 05, 2011 - 10:22 PM

yeah we get ripped here, damn import duties.

i should buy one and get it shipped over :confused:

i wonder how much that'd cost... i've always wanted to go to austrailia...lol. ship mine over too and go ride :thumbsup: or buy my 07 and i'll deliver

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.