Waterproofing 2006 Air Box & Electricals?

2 replies to this topic
  • Mr. Neutron

Posted April 07, 2011 - 04:54 PM

Hey, All!!!

I've actually been working a bit of overtime at work lately, so haven't had time to ride. :lol: But now that it seems I'm going to have time to ride some, it looks as if we're going to have another record-setting wet spring/early summer here in western Oregon. :ride: I've kinda resigned myself to the fact that if I'm going to ride at all, it's going to be in the mud & muck, at least sometimes.

I don't mean to whine here. But I really hate the long clean up & the increased amount of maintenance rides like these cause, so I've tried to avoid these types of rides as best as I could:

Posted Image

That'd be me in the white jersey w/red sleeves (#23) on the KTM 300 in the middle of this photo. That wasn't a "normal" ride for me; it was on New Year's day 2009. But we do have a few rides like this, from time to time..... :cheers: It's either do these types of rides, or not ride at all, or drive a gazillion miles to somewhere dry......

But If I'm gonna ride in this stuff, on my side of the Cascade Mtns. anyway (with out travelling 900 miles south..... :bonk: :lol: ), I'm gonna need a submarine. :lol:

How do you guys with '06s that ride in the woods, and in particularly really wet stuff, waterproof your airboxes & electricals?

With regards to the airbox, one thing I've learned from riding for over 40 years is that a good drain is required. It seems like water will always find some way into an airbox. I seemed to have had better luck keeping stuff from getting past my air filter if it had an easy way to drain out once it did get in..... I can probably figure out how to make/drill a drain hole setup that will work to that end.....

But this YZ450's air inlets seem to be from the side number plates? How do you allow the bike to breathe, but keep water & spray away from the filter? Does air (and water) have a way in from the top, like under the seat? Does the area of the seat/tank juncture need any judicious use of duct tape to keep water from running down into the airbox?

Thanks for any help or advice you guys may have to offer! :p I've gotta get out & ride...... :bonk: Or move to somewhere with dust.... :lol:

Jimmie

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • primerib108

Posted April 07, 2011 - 05:55 PM

Well, I guess I could give "some" advise. I tend to ride fairly wet and mucky conditions most of the time and I will say I have never had any problems with water in my airbox. Keeping the filter freshly oiled regularly is all I can recommend, or maybe fab up some rubber plugs for the intakes just above the number plates.

As for electronics, I have used die-electric grease on all electronic connections as a way to keep moisture out...it won't keep all the water out but it will help a lot. A little goes a long way.

On another note, I plan on a trip down to Oregon sometime this year and hit the dunes......what areas do you recommend for a "single track" side trip?

• Mr. Neutron

Posted April 07, 2011 - 07:12 PM

Well, I guess I could give "some" advise. I tend to ride fairly wet and mucky conditions most of the time and I will say I have never had any problems with water in my airbox. Keeping the filter freshly oiled regularly is all I can recommend, or maybe fab up some rubber plugs for the intakes just above the number plates.

As for electronics, I have used die-electric grease on all electronic connections as a way to keep moisture out...it won't keep all the water out but it will help a lot. A little goes a long way.

On another note, I plan on a trip down to Oregon sometime this year and hit the dunes......what areas do you recommend for a "single track" side trip?

Thanks for the response, Primerib108! :cheers:

It's good to know that these airboxes do a pretty good job of keeping most of the gunk out! :bonk: And also, thanks for the tip about the di-electric grease! I'd forgotten all about that stuff.....:p

Oregon pretty much has a range of mountains (the Cascades) that run the entire girth of the state, running north & south. The part of the state to the west of the Cascades is green from all the rain, while the part on the east side is much dryer.

If you're going to the dunes, I'm gonna assume you're probably going to either Florence, Winchester Bay, or Sand Lake. I'm not familiar with the riding around Florence & Winchester Bay, other than the dunes themselves. I don't know of any single track riding areas near those places, but I'd guess there is some, somewhere.... I'm not certain how close you'd be to the John's Peak riding area, but there's some good riding there....

Near Sand Lake, is the Trask Mtn, riding area, and the Tillamook Burn area. There's lots of great riding & single track in that state forest area. :ride: This is classic "west-of-the-Cascades" brushy, mountainous, riding. It's really green there, and gets quite a bit of rain. Lotsa treews, roots, and rocks. It's not too far of a drive from Florence or Winchester Bay. I used to know this area pretty well, but most of my friends ride mx track now, so that's all I've done for the last year or so. I've forgotten most of my old haunts around Brown's Camp & Diamond Mill....

Further east (several hours/120 miles or so from the coast, depending on where at the coast you leave from) is Hood River County Forest. It's got some great single track, and is a really pretty area to ride. It's in kind of a "transitional forest" area of the state, where there's slightly less brush than the far western areas (Tillamook that I mentioned above here....). Mostly fir trees, and the elevation climbs a little as you get away from the Columbia River, and go kinda towards Mt. Hood.

My favorite off-road riding area is around China Hat/East Fort Rock riding areas, in the central part of the state. Those areas will be a bit of a drive from the coast, but they're really good riding areas. It's got some really great areas of single track, and I'm not even gonna pretend to say that I know all of it. It's a really big area, and a lot of the really good stuff most folks here don't talk about too much; ya have to discover it for yourself. I'm still working on that.... :bonk: The China Hat area will be be "Prime" in about a month; very little dust, good traction, pretty decent weather, & such.....

The central part of the state has cool, high-desert terrain. Lotsa scattered juniper & pine trees, and is quite a bit dryer & more arrid than the west side of the state. It's where I'd choose to live, if I could earn a living there. Maybe after I retire in a few years. The area around the town of Bend is where I'm referring to now, and China Hat/East Fort rock are near there. It's a whole different world from the the coastal part of the state, and is a neat change from the west/coastal side of the state.

Anyways, I hope this helps ya out some, PR108. Holler on this if ya think I can help some more.....

Jimmie

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.