Clarke Tank?????

11 replies to this topic
  • jwatts

Posted April 07, 2011 - 03:00 PM

Anyone have any info on a Clarke tank,pros and cons? I own a 09' wr450 and i'm thinking of getting the clarke tank only because i want to keep my stock shrouds. Anyone have any pictures? thanks

• BajaFool

Posted April 07, 2011 - 03:22 PM

I have one on my 2008 WR450F. I have been very pleased with it. It fits well, is narrow at the knees, takes the stock shrouds, carries a lot of fuel and doesn't have the ponderous look of the Acerbis large tank. I chose the black tank for a stock look and most people can not tell that it is not the stock tank.

I've owned both Acerbis and Clarke tanks. Both are excellent products. I did not care for the look and feel of the Acerbis tank for the aluminum framed Yamaha.

• fwdtomco

Posted April 07, 2011 - 05:54 PM

I've had the Clarke tank off and on my 09 WR450 for over a year now . Would not even bother with any other tank . Its slim and the extra range is great , stock radiator shrouds fit perfectly. The stock petcock fits also , except the knob is facing the cylinder - no big deal. Have heard that an 06 petcock will face the corect way.
The tank can be put on or taken off in a matter of minutes . The natural color will allow you to see the fuel level.

• jrutkows

Posted April 07, 2011 - 07:33 PM

I had one and hated it, needed a new tank and got it since it was cheaper than stock and figured the extra capacity would be nice.

The tank forces you to sit further back so you can't get any weight on the front wheel. I found a new stock one on ebay, switched back and it was like riding a whole new bike. Such a huge difference in handling.

Now, I ride mostly steep lose single track and so don't know what you plan to use your bike for but the handling will suffer. If you were in CO you could borrow mine and see for yourself.

Aside for the handling issue, (maybe that can't be helped with a larger tank) I was also not happy since the bolt spacing was not quite right which made taking it on and off a huge PITA, you're always at risk of cross threading the bolts that go into the frame. The stock tank has the front mount adjustable so this is not an issue. I sent an email to Clark customer service and never got a reply back. Not impressed at all.

• GuyGraham

Posted April 07, 2011 - 11:31 PM

Love my clarke

Best mod I've done

Fits well, and not obtrusive when riding
You'll need the 06 petcock to save having to loop back your fuel line

Here's a couple of (muddy) pic's

Posted Image

Posted Image

• dgcars

Posted April 07, 2011 - 11:37 PM

Love my clarke

Best mod I've done

Fits well, and not obtrusive when riding
You'll need the 06 petcock to save having to loop back your fuel line

Here's a couple of (muddy) pic's

Posted Image

Posted Image

You sure it isn't taking root & started to grow with all that soil around it....:cheers:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GuyGraham

Posted April 08, 2011 - 12:53 AM

I blame Paul Edmondson and his crew

He seemed to like sending us through the muddiest areas on the course, just to make our bike dirty!

• jrutkows

Posted April 08, 2011 - 08:26 AM

Love my clarke

Best mod I've done

just the other day you said the gold valve was the best thing you did to your bike?

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted April 09, 2011 - 06:01 PM

I also have the Clarke. Sold my IMS to get it when it came time to get new shrouds and I still had my new WR shrounds in the garage. Decided I wanted more range than the IMS could give me. The Clarke is about $45 cheaper, 1/2 gal more fuel, and you don't have to buy YZ shrouds. Both tanks feel about the same between your legs. The only real difference is that the Clarke drops a bit lower, but also comes up a little more at the cap. I find the front mount on the Clarke pretty tricky to get set. The Clarke seems to be finished a little better, but the IMS seems a tad thicker plastic. I went with the black this time, the clear IMS definitely started to yellow.

Edited by OUTERLIMITS, April 10, 2011 - 08:09 AM.

• jwatts

Posted April 10, 2011 - 07:05 AM

Great, thanks alot gentelman. I think im going to go with the Clarke tank. Alot of guys seem to like them.

• ZWR450

Posted April 12, 2011 - 09:35 AM

Great, thanks alot gentelman. I think im going to go with the Clarke tank. Alot of guys seem to like them.

Post up some pics when you get it on. I think I'm gonna go with the Clarke in black.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted April 12, 2011 - 02:05 PM

The Clarke 3.6 is $199 at Cyclebuy, I believe it includes shipping and no tax. Maybe TT can beat that???

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.