Leak Jet on a 426 Question

7 replies to this topic
  • YamahaDoc

Posted April 07, 2011 - 02:56 PM

Ok I was wondering if a leak jet will solve my issue... I posted this in the Jetting section but haven't got any replies yet. I figured Id you fellas:

Here is the good stuff.

2002 Yamaha YZ426f

2200'/70*/No Humidity Issues ~40% All year/Desert, Dunes, Trails

HMF Competition Stage 2 (flows a little more air then stock)/ No air box lid, With No Toil filter W backfire screen/ nothing to the motor Ive done the " O Ring Mod"

Current Jetting:

Main: 162 (stock)

Pilot: 42 (stock)

Starter: I think 72 but that shouldnt be my problem, it starts like a dream.

Needle: OBEJP 4th clip

Issue: I just have bog in the low. Rolling in 2nd gear to full throttle immediate bog then clears up when the fuel burns off, Happens everytime all the time. Im new to 450's so I dont know what to change first! I can do all adjustments and change jets that no big deal I just dont know anyone that has alot of knowledge on these bikes!

Motor is 100% sound valves checked perfect, im positive of all that.

Im wondering if the addition of a leak jet might be the solution?

Thanks Guys!

• grayracer513

Posted April 07, 2011 - 03:21 PM

Most of the time, this works on the 426:

http://motoman393.th.../tech/carb.html

• YamahaDoc

Posted April 07, 2011 - 03:41 PM

Most of the time, this works on the 426:

http://motoman393.th.../tech/carb.html

Thanks!

I was hoping to here your answer! I saw that on the "sticky", so does this just help to time the AP? Or does it shorten the length of squirt? Mine starts as soon as the throttle starts rolling on :/

I also read somewhere that leaning out the stock needle one clip could help? any truth to this? And if so do I need to adjust anything else IE jet size??

• grayracer513

Posted April 07, 2011 - 06:43 PM

The taper of the needle does not lift above the discharge nozzle until about 1/4 throttle, so raising/lowering it has little effect on anything that comes before that, but above that point, lowering may help. Alternate needles with a larger diameter on the upper, straight section can be used to lean the mix between 1/8-1/4.

The BK mod is mostly about shortening the duration of the squirt, so the pump timing also needs to be looked at. Review the manual for the procedure.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamahaDoc

Posted April 07, 2011 - 08:58 PM

The taper of the needle does not lift above the discharge nozzle until about 1/4 throttle, so raising/lowering it has little effect on anything that comes before that, but above that point, lowering may help. Alternate needles with a larger diameter on the upper, straight section can be used to lean the mix between 1/8-1/4.

The BK mod is mostly about shortening the duration of the squirt, so the pump timing also needs to be looked at. Review the manual for the procedure.

Thank You so much!

• Chas_M

Posted April 08, 2011 - 06:31 AM

To adjust and shorten the squirt duration on my FCR carbs, rather than doing the complete BK drill and tap mod, I simply Super Glue an appropriately size small nut to the 'BK AP tab' to limit the AP pump throw.

• YamahaDoc

Posted April 08, 2011 - 08:41 AM

To adjust and shorten the squirt duration on my FCR carbs, rather than doing the complete BK drill and tap mod, I simply Super Glue an appropriately size small nut to the 'BK AP tab' to limit the AP pump throw.

That sounds like a good idea! Do you know what size nut you have, just for a starting place?

• Chas_M

Posted April 08, 2011 - 11:07 AM

That sounds like a good idea! Do you know what size nut you have, just for a starting place?

I don't recall offhand, but it needs to be around 1/8" or 3+mm thick or just enough to limit the squirt to 1 second or less.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.