2012 KTM 300 or Stick to the 450?

17 replies to this topic
  • ktmracer53

Posted April 07, 2011 - 08:40 AM

I was looking to buy a 2012 300 when they come out.. is it worth it to switch over from a yz450f? I have a KTM 125 so i know how to ride a two stroke. I race about every other weekend could i run the 300 in the 450 class? I also go ride some nasty trails so is it worth it?

Thanks, Kyle :cheers:

• KTMrideR146

Posted April 07, 2011 - 08:43 AM

its worth it unless ur racing MX only.

• Wrfrk

Posted April 07, 2011 - 08:56 AM

The 300 fits in the open class so I don't think you can run the 450 class with it in MX. For off-road use it's a much funner bike than any 450 IMO, oh and I've had 11 450's of varying brands. I doubt the 2012 will be any different than the 2011 so if you're lucky you might find an '11 hanging around for a little less $, though I doubt it.

• holeshot

Posted April 07, 2011 - 10:46 AM

The 300 fits in the open class so I don't think you can run the 450 class with it in MX..

That would be true if you were an AMA national pro racng an AMA Pro class.

In most places, in Vet classes you can run whatever you want and if it's not an AMA race, the AMA displacement rules usually don't apply (even in "young kid" classes). Maybe some parts of the country AMA amatuer motocross races are common, but not here in California.

• rozy157

Posted April 07, 2011 - 04:13 PM

I don't think any four-stroke guy worth his salt is going to complain about being beat by an "unfair two-stroke." Ha, ha.

• cubera

Posted April 07, 2011 - 06:24 PM

I was looking to buy a 2012 300 when they come out.. is it worth it to switch over from a yz450f? I have a KTM 125 so i know how to ride a two stroke. I race about every other weekend could i run the 300 in the 450 class? I also go ride some nasty trails so is it worth it?

Thanks, Kyle :cheers:

Keep your 450F for MX and get a 300 for real off road stuff:thumbsup::ride:

• cory201

Posted April 07, 2011 - 11:32 PM

Keep your 450F for MX and get a 300 for real off road stuff:thumbsup::cheers:

+1. The 300XC can be a race bike, but just not motocross.

• hrpufinstuff

Posted April 08, 2011 - 05:28 AM

Keep your 450F for MX and get a 300 for real off road stuff:thumbsup::cheers:

+2 You'll love the 300 for everything but mx. It'd probably be ok for a C level rider but the chassis and suspension are too soft and flexible for a B or A level mx rider.

Adammoto (riding buddy) just made the same switch. He's a super fast A level desert hare scramble rider. Maybe he'll chime in. I know he's loving the 300 but he's also not riding much mx.

• Wrfrk

Posted April 08, 2011 - 08:03 AM

I would like to add one other thought about using the 300 as an MX bike. Ok so it's been said that it's not to hot on the track, well sure that's probably true if you're racing against more current 450F's. However, I'd dare say that the suspension/chasis are significantly better than the 250 2t's being made prior to 2000. So, ya it can still be used and it will still be mostly the rider skills that define's a race outcome. I'm also referring to the XC-W mostly b/c as far as I'm concerned the XC is already very close to being a MX bike...

Edited by Wrfrk, April 08, 2011 - 08:46 AM.

• Dumb_Fee

Posted April 08, 2011 - 08:22 AM

I've seen and heard of expert level vet guys running a 300xc at the track. The biggest battle you are gonna find between making a 300xc a decent track bike without ruining it's trail prowess is suspension (assuming your a fast mx rider). If you are an "average" mx'er I don't think you will have too much trouble finding a compromise between the two disciplines. This is 2011, it's not like we are trying to do triples on a 98' xr400. You'll be more then good with this frame. Oh yeah, your gonna pull 450s on this bike....but don't tell them, it's better just to look at their face and see a big ? mark :cheers:

• cubera

Posted April 08, 2011 - 05:18 PM

I'm a slow C rider at MX (on a good day) and I think my 300XC-W sucks on the track. It's feels sloppy. The motor is OK for MX even with the semi-WR gearbox but the chassis and suspension would need some work for track use even at my level. If I tried to fix it for MX it would ruin the bike for off road where it is superb in almost every area except probably sustained high speed stuff with deep fast whoops and hard pack moguls probably. On the other hand, my 450R has been "unmotocrossed" with extensive suspension work and it's still not as good as the 300 in most off road situations but is light years ahead of the 300 on the track still. It will be my "GP" ride and fast open desert ride over the 300. Having said that, the chassis is seriously too stiff for safe high speed desert work IMHO which is why JCR uses the less rigid framed 450X for National H/H and Baja....for example. I wish there was one bike that could do it all but I need at least 6.....LMAO:bonk::ride::cheers::p

• akfreerider

Posted April 08, 2011 - 05:21 PM

Just to throw another curve ball in the mix.. There's always the option of getting a 250SX?!

• cubera

Posted April 08, 2011 - 06:29 PM

Just to throw another curve ball in the mix.. There's always the option of getting a 250SX?!

Yes....I need one of those too:thumbsup::cheers::ride:

• Dumb_Fee

Posted April 08, 2011 - 06:42 PM

250sx would probably be the best thing. Javier at Trail Tricks has a 250 sx that he made into a woods bike. Just good luck on finding one. I've had an 05' honda 450r that I eventually made into a desertish bike (flywheel weight, stabalizer ect.) and then I sold that to my brother when I got my 300. Admittedly it is more stable in 5th gear whoops, but that isn't cause of the the stiffer chassis in my opinion..it's just the nature of a 2 stroke (but my 300 isn't far off in stability). I've had my 300 on an mx track as well and I could still cruise around at a decent clip and hit all the jumps that I had the courage to do on my 450 with no hinderance. I think unless you are honestly a fast intermediate in MX, you should have no such issues with a 300. Try youtubin' "11 ktm 300xc motocross track" and see what comes up. I remeber seeing a fast guy on a 300 tearing it up

• cory201

Posted April 09, 2011 - 08:14 AM

Im sure if you get an XC and have the suspension completely redone it will be fine.

I would rather just get the SX though.

• Wrfrk

Posted April 09, 2011 - 11:16 AM

Im sure if you get an XC and have the suspension completely redone it will be fine.

I would rather just get the SX though.

Ya but then the SX kinda sux for trail use, ya it's do able, but it's no where near as good as the XCW. That is why they build the XC, best of both worlds or at least as close as it's ever gonna get out of the box...

• dandimand

Posted April 09, 2011 - 06:43 PM

I have an 11 250sx and honestly Im at least 5 seconds a lap faster on my 09 crf 450 I'm still trying to come to terms with this bike . You have to shift it constantly its not near as stable as the honda the forks need a ton of work though I will say it corners very nicely and the rear with just a spring change is great . I still have my honda and would consider selling the 250sx now . The bike is super light though . Where my honda has the advantage is it holds a line very easily in other words down a rough straight there is alot more confidence the bike goes where you point it . I find if your a really good rider then the 250sx would be a great bike But if your a vet its hard to come to terms with I'm finding .

• Family Man

Posted April 10, 2011 - 09:51 AM

how bright of a light can you put on the stock sx. What about the XC?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.