07 yz450f sometimes kicks with no compression?

3 replies to this topic
  • Ricky116

Posted April 06, 2011 - 12:28 PM

Hey all,

I've been lurking around here for a while just gathering the loads of useful information you guys have been good enough to put up:worthy:. Anyway I have a 2007 yz450f and have had 0 problems, just change the oil, and air filter and ride. Have not done a top end, or had the valves shimmed. Ever since I have pulled it out this year I have had something odd happen each time I ride. When riding, if I stall the bike, when I go to kick it over sometimes it will kick straight through the stroke with no compression. Then I'll slowly kick it until I get compression back and it will start up right away.

So my question is what do you guys think is the problem? The bike doesn't lack compression other than when this occurs and my first guess would be that a valve is sticking open allowing air to pass by and not be compressed. I have not checked for valve clearances mainly because the bike has never given me problems starting. If anyone could give me some guidance as to what exactly to look for I'd appreciate it!

• Ricky116

Posted April 07, 2011 - 05:16 PM

bump! anybody have some advice?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • primerib108

Posted April 07, 2011 - 06:10 PM

Wouldn't hurt to check the intake valves...they tend to tighten up over time. If they are too tight especially when things are hot then the valves wouldn't "seat" completely and you might lose compression.

• grayracer513

Posted April 07, 2011 - 07:03 PM

Could be a sticking valve or carbon deposited on the stem or valve head. See if a bit of fuel injector cleaner added to your gas doesn't help it. (read the label for the mix rates)

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.