2010 YZ450F Breather reroute

42 replies to this topic
  • jacobdewey

Posted April 07, 2011 - 08:31 AM

All it is, is a closed vent system, the small amount of oil that the head spits out will be sucked thru the tube into the intake, and thru the engine, It shouldn't effect my starting because as soon as i shut it off, the oil will drain back down the tube, so it will not pool in my intake. I rode yesterday and it works great so far, and last time i checked oil is better than sand. I think yamaha knows they have a problem, so they added this "built in fix" to cover their butts.

• grayracer513

Posted April 07, 2011 - 08:55 AM

It connects to the "air boot", between the filter and throttle body, so it is down stream from the filter.

If anyone has anymore ? they should take apart their bike and have a nice long hard look to how this is setup. i'm 97.3% sure this is a good idea.

It's only a good idea if you do not have a T in the line that leads to an unfiltered air source. Above the filter, that would not matter, below the filter, bad.

• jacobdewey

Posted April 08, 2011 - 10:45 AM

It's only a good idea if you do not have a T in the line that leads to an unfiltered air source. Above the filter, that would not matter, below the filter, bad.

I do not have a t, it is totally closed, i figure a little oil in my intake is a price worth paying for longevity. jmo.

After i get a few months of riding in i'll do an update to make sure everything is clean and working well.

• CodyWayne718

Posted June 22, 2011 - 02:00 PM

Its been a couple months, any update? Could always run the tupe up thru the air box drain like you did and mount a little filter to it. I've read this thread and the one the guy posted on the 1st page. It all seems so complicated!

• jacobdewey

Posted July 08, 2011 - 02:09 PM

I have 12.9 hours on my bike, mostly sand dunes, or desert. Just checked the valves and the head was as clean as a whistle. I give myself five stars two thumbs up. :thumbsup:

• jacobdewey

Posted July 08, 2011 - 02:13 PM

Its been a couple months, any update? Could always run the tupe up thru the air box drain like you did and mount a little filter to it. I've read this thread and the one the guy posted on the 1st page. It all seems so complicated!

It's not a drain. The hose connects after the air filter so it is a closed vent system!!!!! I have said this like fifty times! If you don't belive me tear your airbox apart and look for yourself!!!

• freerider_australia

Posted July 08, 2011 - 08:39 PM

i have done the mod and the connection in the air box is filtered air i used the orignal hose and run it up to the airbox connection
i cant see that any tiny amount oil or fumes going back in to engine via throttle body being a bad thing
hondas have a closed system and the wr has somthing similar
i have 98 hrs on my bike so i cleaned the hose and it was clean any way so the check valve in my head is working
prevention is beter than cure

GOOD WORK jacobdewey

thanks david

• freerider_australia

Posted July 09, 2011 - 02:22 AM

i have done the mod and the connection in the air box is filtered air i used the orignal hose and run it up to the airbox connection
i cant see that any tiny amount oil or fumes going back in to engine via throttle body being a bad thing
hondas have a closed system and the wr has somthing similar
i have 98 hrs on my bike so i cleaned the hose and it was clean any way so the check valve in my head is working
prevention is beter than cure

GOOD WORK jacobdewey

thanks david

went for a ride for 1.5 hours with no problems check new breather hose had no unusal oil deposits of dirt
david

• jacobdewey

Posted July 10, 2011 - 09:41 AM

Thanks for backing me up! I agree, prevention is key to having a durable long lasting bike!

• CodyWayne718

Posted July 10, 2011 - 11:14 AM

It's not a drain. The hose connects after the air filter so it is a closed vent system!!!!! I have said this like fifty times! If you don't belive me tear your airbox apart and look for yourself!!!

I didn't say I didn't believe you slick, it looked like all the other drain pouches I have seen so that's what I called it. Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DC_Excitement

Posted August 07, 2011 - 09:27 AM

i only have like 10 hrs on my 10 and i pulled the valve cover off and i was shocked to see alot of sand in there. clearly comming from the hose, i really dont ride sand either. im doing this mod right away

• SurvivorMan

Posted August 09, 2011 - 12:35 PM

I just ran mine up so that it ends up behind the number plate. Cut a piece of foam from an old mattress and duct tape it too the end. It takes 5 minutes and is free...good enough, no one will see your red green handy work there.

• jacobdewey

Posted December 26, 2011 - 04:14 PM

32 hrs on bike, 99% of which is sand dunes, checked head again...Still working like a champ!

• drtrcr400

Posted December 26, 2011 - 11:27 PM

I performed this mod on my '12 almost 30 hours ago. Works great, great peace of mind. Never see or smell any burning oil either.

• BigGreenMachineNL

Posted April 27, 2012 - 04:37 PM

Did this after I changed my filter this evening. What a pain in the dick both of those tasks were! haha!
Going to go back in and shorten up the breather hose next time I change the filter.

• freerider_australia

Posted June 08, 2012 - 12:22 AM

157 hours later all was ok had no problems with mod no oiley deposits and still very clean and also have never adjusted valves there still in spec
the only problem i have had is a chiped 3rd gear dog which required replacing so i replaced the piston and rings

• jacobdewey

Posted December 15, 2013 - 12:55 PM

I ended up with 165 hrs on my 2010 when I sold it, and It was just like the day I bought it.  Currently have 58 hrs on my 2012 with this mod, and all is well!

• mxbrewski

Posted December 16, 2013 - 08:54 AM

Wouldnt it be just as easy to shorten the hose and put a filter on the end of it? Just asking, not trying to say any of this is wrong. And I know that it would not keep water from entering, but if it was up high it would probably not matter. Anybody just attached a filter? I could not do the proposed mod anyways due to having the Twin Air sytem replacing stock.

Edited by mxbrewski, December 16, 2013 - 08:56 AM.

• SparksXR426

Posted December 16, 2013 - 10:52 AM

Wouldnt it be just as easy to shorten the hose and put a filter on the end of it? Just asking, not trying to say any of this is wrong. And I know that it would not keep water from entering, but if it was up high it would probably not matter. Anybody just attached a filter? I could not do the proposed mod anyways due to having the Twin Air sytem replacing stock.

That's all I did with my 12. Shortened the hose off the valve cover and used one of the rubber hose guides to mount a stainless fine mesh filter half way up the cylinder on the right side of the motor. Looks and works ok. 5 minute job. I had a tee and a second screen in the airbox of my 08 but didn't go to that length on my 12. The chances of sucking water from that height is slim enough to risk it. It's WAY better than stock anyway.

• kcrpkx125

Posted April 16, 2014 - 09:18 PM

I was told to use a PVC valve from a car that way it only lets the oil drain and nothing else in. The 1 way valve I think is the way to go. I'm going to the parts store today to see if I can find 1. I'll post later and let every one know

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.