2010 YZ450F Breather reroute

42 replies to this topic
  • jacobdewey

Posted April 06, 2011 - 09:28 AM

WRITE UP W/PICTURES!!! 2010 YZ450F BREATHER TUBE RE-ROUTE
I had a 2006 yz450 that started having sand in the oil filters when i would change the oil, i looked and looked and couldn't find the source of contamination, I sold that bike and bought an 08, and the dealer told me about the breather tube sucking up junk, so the first thing i did was reroute it directly into the air boot with a nice grommet and sealed it with silicone. My filters were as clean as could be, but when i would change the air filter i would have to wipe oil out of the bottom of the boot from my breather hose, needless to say it was never a problem. Now i have bought a 2010 yz450 and i want to do the reroute into the boot, but i am scared that it will make it hard to start because the oil from the breather would drip right down into the intake....Has anyone done this straight into the boot on the 10', and if so any problems? Thanks :cheers:

UPDATE AND WRITE UP

I couldn't find what i was looking for so i decided to do my own research on my bike. I found a built in, perfect solution to my questions and problems, so here is my write up!

First i took the bike apart like i was going to change my spark plug.
Posted Image

Then i found that yamaha already has a 90* fitting going into the air-boot, plugged off with this little pink hose.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I then re-routed my breather tube up and around my frame to the bottom of my air-box.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Well there you have it! The best part is it didn't take any money, not even for the squeeze clamp, as it was already on the plug. Well i hope this helps somebody!!!!

Edited by jacobdewey, April 06, 2011 - 03:13 PM.

• 450motard

Posted April 06, 2011 - 09:48 AM

Welcome to the forum - my first piece of advice is to learn to use the search function. It'll bring you tons of quick answers...

Click me: 2010 450 Breather re-route

• jacobdewey

Posted April 06, 2011 - 10:00 AM

Yeah, i read thru that one already, but i want mine to go straight into the boot like i had on my 08', but i'm just not sure if the oil will be a problem. But that is a nice write up. Thanks.

• Steel Panther

Posted April 06, 2011 - 10:51 AM

just split it, one to the boot the other to the stock location. That allows the oil to go out the bottom of the bike and for the engine to pull air from the air boot hose if you are sitting in water or sand. I like my method of just not starting the bike whilst stuck in sand or water :cheers:

• jacobdewey

Posted April 06, 2011 - 11:00 AM

just split it, one to the boot the other to the stock location. That allows the oil to go out the bottom of the bike and for the engine to pull air from the air boot hose if you are sitting in water or sand. I like my method of just not starting the bike whilst stuck in sand or water :cheers:

Sounds like a really good idea, but all i ever ride is sand! I wonder about doing what you said, except using small clear hose off the t , just so its a bit more restrictive, but would still let the oil drain, plus it would look factory cuz you could run it right by the "carbs" single drain hose. If i do it this way i'm going to do a write up. Thanks for the idea's!

• KJK_JR

Posted April 06, 2011 - 12:49 PM

I like my method of just not starting the bike whilst stuck in sand or water :cheers:

thats what i do:thumbsup: Never had an issue doing it that way

• grayracer513

Posted April 06, 2011 - 01:58 PM

just split it, one to the boot the other to the stock location. That allows ...

...unfiltered air to enter the engine.

If you T the line leaving the engine, then run one hose to the stock location and another to the air boot, that creates a direct path from the stock location to the intake boot. :cheers:

• jacobdewey

Posted April 06, 2011 - 03:20 PM

Yeah i thought about that after i posted. Sometime's you just overlook things. :cheers:

• grayracer513

Posted April 06, 2011 - 03:39 PM

Incidentally, I believe you'll find that the "little pink hose" is essentially the air box drain plug. As you have that plumbing run, anything that collects at the bottom of the air box will now run into your engine.

• jacobdewey

Posted April 06, 2011 - 03:43 PM

Incidentally, I believe you'll find that the "little pink hose" is essentially the air box drain plug. As you have that plumbing run, anything that collects at the bottom of the air box will now run into your engine.

That should be fine, seeing as how the air is already filtered, so if there are any contaminants, they would run thru my engine anyway. The worst that could happen is i get a little filter oil in my head.....thats a hell of a lot better than sand.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted April 06, 2011 - 03:58 PM

Hard to tell by the pics you have posted, but if that pink drain hose attaches to the airbox outside of the filter (which I'm guessing it does) you'll not want your breather hooked to it.

• powers450f

Posted April 06, 2011 - 06:25 PM

...unfiltered air to enter the engine.

If you T the line leaving the engine, then run one hose to the stock location and another to the air boot, that creates a direct path from the stock location to the intake boot. :cheers:

Gray, why doesn't Yamaha address this issue? If it is such an issue? I don't see anyone in my district doing this, and we ride a lot of sandy tracks. This is interesting to me. Do you think this is something I should consider on my 11 450?

• grayracer513

Posted April 06, 2011 - 06:52 PM

So then, that fitting comes out below the filter? Doesn't look that way in the picture, but it's hard to tell.

• grayracer513

Posted April 06, 2011 - 07:06 PM

...why doesn't Yamaha address this issue? If it is such an issue?

Because they don't see it as an "issue". I ride 90% desert, and always go play in the dunes for a while. None of the 5 YZF's I own or have owned has ever had dirt in the upper end of the breather.

Whether you do it to yours or not is your decision to make. The potential for it to become a problem is something more people should be aware of, though.

• powers450f

Posted April 06, 2011 - 07:11 PM

Ok, do you have any pictures of how you did yours?

• grayracer513

Posted April 07, 2011 - 06:50 AM

Me? Mine's stock.

• primerib108

Posted April 07, 2011 - 07:19 AM

I think the issue here is that it "could" and not necessarily it "will" happen.... a lot of people here I'm sure never had a problem. It did happen to me when I stalled out on a mud bog and discovered some foreign material in my filter. It wasn't sand or dirt but the light weight moss that could easily go up the tube when I kick started my bike while it was submerged. I ride a lot of deep wet muddy stuff and cross rivers frequently in the bush and that is why I took more drastic measures because sometimes I cannot avoid a stall or start-up situation where my bike could be at risk.

Just my 2 cents.

• jacobdewey

Posted April 07, 2011 - 08:14 AM

So then, that fitting comes out below the filter? Doesn't look that way in the picture, but it's hard to tell.

I know it doesn't look that way in the picture, but it 90's directly into the acutal boot, so the fitting is sitting almost horizontal where it goes into the air boot. I checked, double checked, then re checked.:cheers:

• cowboyona426

Posted April 07, 2011 - 08:22 AM

I know it doesn't look that way in the picture, but it 90's directly into the acutal boot, so the fitting is sitting almost horizontal where it goes into the air boot. I checked, double checked, then re checked.:cheers:

If it's under the filter in the actual air boot I wouldn't worry about it then. Find a way to run a drip leg vertically down and call it good.

• jacobdewey

Posted April 07, 2011 - 08:25 AM

Hard to tell by the pics you have posted, but if that pink drain hose attaches to the airbox outside of the filter (which I'm guessing it does) you'll not want your breather hooked to it.

It connects to the "air boot", between the filter and throttle body, so it is down stream from the filter.

If anyone has anymore ? they should take apart their bike and have a nice long hard look to how this is setup. i'm 97.3% sure this is a good idea.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.