Who is racing a CRF150R or Expert?

48 replies to this topic
  • ABmotoxer

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:34 AM

Well we finally got to put the 150R against my boys CR85 and a freinds boys KX 85 and it litteraly kicked the sh!t out of both of them. I have no doubts what so ever he will be faster on the 150R. I could beat my boy in a drag race with him on the CR I was on the 150R and I have 100lbs on him. The 150R has been rejetted and has a quickshot on it. The other are stock. I know now why the AMA won't alow them. They are frickin fast.

• gruberyz

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:44 AM

Well we finally got to put the 150R against my boys CR85 and a freinds boys KX 85 and it litteraly kicked the sh!t out of both of them. I have no doubts what so ever he will be faster on the 150R. I could beat my boy in a drag race with him on the CR I was on the 150R and I have 100lbs on him. The 150R has been rejetted and has a quickshot on it. The other are stock. I know now why the AMA won't alow them. They are frickin fast.

Except when they run super mini against the 107-112cc two strokes then it's no contest. thats why they still have left over 09's around.

• weantright

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:57 AM

Remember superminis is a mod class. If you trully want to compete in this class you need to spend some money. You don't need to go crazy, light stuff will make the tables even! That's if there are 100-112 2t racing.

• ABmotoxer

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:20 PM

Around here 95% of the people run the same bike in both classes.

• gruberyz

Posted 23 April 2011 - 08:04 AM

anytime we run our stock KX100 in super mini the power deficit against the 107-112 bikes is pretty evident. Especially if the start area is well groomed.

• gruberyz

Posted 23 April 2011 - 08:13 AM

AMA only let's the bike run in modded supermini classes. Why?? too much advange over a stock 85?? Who knows but stock for stock it's all rider! A modded 150 will easily pull a stock 85 without larger cc's. If you can port a 2t 85 then why not a re-worked head on a 150 for stock class?? I was told by someone that work with AMA officials that the 85 class needed to watch cost. The 150r would be too expensive for average riders just to be competitive. Same dumb thinking for AMA about changing to 400cc (vs. 450cc) max so new racers can handle the bikes.

Honda didn't "fostered" this, it was Yamaha. Yamaha was the first to bring a 3/4 rule to snowmobiles and push heavily the same in MX. I feel even today let CC's run CC's and we all would benifet from better bikes.

Keep a 4t going?? Sure the first modern HP 4T didn't have the reliable as todays but close tracks from it??! No, track closure comes from lack of spendable money. $10 to enter the park, 20-25 to race and the gas to get there. It all adds up and many with families stopped. Another item that closes a track is noise. 4t sound travels farther than 2t and add in open flow mufflers it only worst.

Honda has a great bike that is being pushed into the offroad racing in HS, GNCC and cross country. Talk is Honda has a CRF150rx (mini CRF250X) waiting to return when the ecomony recovers,,, well now waiting to rebuild the country.

Oh let's see last seasons we raced. from JAN1-2010 untill last race at Thanksgivng. We spent right at 2500.00 for engine maintance on our two four stroke bikes. We spent less than 300.00 on our three two stroke race bikes. It's funny at local races you see familys with three kids on 50cc-100cc two strokes. However when you get up to lites you rarely see the family with three kids running 4t bikes. Also the local tracks that have done away with the cc handicaps have 250 classes filled with bikes and 450 classes that they have to combine several classes to fill a gate. We have made the decision that our oldest son who just turned 18 is either going to buy his next race bike on his own or he is going back to a two stroke. I wish they still made the 200SX. We have decided with rising gas costs our only way to contimue the level of travel we do for racing is to go back to two strokes only.

• weantright

Posted 24 April 2011 - 06:43 AM

What did you do or get for $2500 in maintenance?? Seems hard to spend $1250 on basics to keep the bike running. 2t are less maintenance however 4t don't need to cost as much as some suggest.

I also see more lites than 450's, is it due to too much bike or the type of rider that is racing?? Flip to HS or CC and you see mostly large bores bikes and older riders.

• gruberyz

Posted 24 April 2011 - 06:54 AM

What did you do or get for $2500 in maintenance?? Seems hard to spend $1250 on basics to keep the bike running. 2t are less maintenance however 4t don't need to cost as much as some suggest.

I also see more lites than 450's, is it due to too much bike or the type of rider that is racing?? Flip to HS or CC and you see mostly large bores bikes and older riders.

Well a season of xc and mx on four strokes means pistons,cranks,cylnders ,heads, etc. a season on two strokes means maybe a piston maybe. We have had our son do a single three hour XC race and the bike need valves at the end. Yet he whines if we make him ride the KTM two stroke. However now that he is 18 he can just whine or buy his own race bike. Now a lot of folks can make a whole season of local five lap MX racing on a 250F before it needs work. Those races put what less than an hour per weekend on a bike. Take this weekends race for an example it is only two hours but usually a two hour race puts you at the checkered in two hours twenty minutes or so depending on the pro class. Run two laps practice on Saturday and you have three hours on the bike. Compare that to trail rider or guys who ride MX practice sessions but don't race and your motor expenses will be way less than ours. We spent 26K last year racing and people gasp yet we are by no means a top racing family and suspect some of our competition spend double that in a year. So cost to run a machine is becoming very important. I say that sitting at my kitchen table watching my roof leak wondering how to pay for it and race too.

• ABmotoxer

Posted 24 April 2011 - 07:18 PM

Here is a vid of my boy practicing at our track on his 150R.

• weantright

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:35 AM

Somethig doesn't seem correct. 3 hr GNCC race and needs valves?? Pistons, cranks, cylinders and heads several in a year?? Wow you are the first I have heard of this many replaced parts (motors) in a year. Replace because they need it or per service in manuel?? Racing is very costly and I feel your pain. The extent things are being replaced makes me think you do it to prevent any issues and not because it needs it. I don't GNCC but know several people that do and none replace parts like you do. Most of them have switched from 2t for the traction. Or they have both for the different racing areas.

• Kx450fguy

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:37 AM

Here is a vid of my boy practicing at our track on his 150R.

wow your kid is pretty good!

• ABmotoxer

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:14 PM

wow your kid is pretty good!

Thanks
he has about 10 to 12 hours on the 150 now and loves it. They pull pretty hard I am impressed.

• sokudo

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:12 AM

I have a 07 that has been raced for its whole life. the piston has been done a few times and the clutch. the chain went and cracked the right side case. had to break it down to change the case and the crank was in perfect shape.

• ABmotoxer

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:52 PM

I have a 07 that has been raced for its whole life. the piston has been done a few times and the clutch. the chain went and cracked the right side case. had to break it down to change the case and the crank was in perfect shape.

Great vids hope the boys bike holds up well.

• tucker78

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:10 PM

Market has not gave thumbs down. When AMA limits the class so does the sales. Natural progression from a KTM 50 is a 65, then 85. When you can't run a 4 stroke in a class it was design for,, well sales will fall. Honda has produced them overseas. Sales were soft and the bike was produced to pay for tooling. Now dealers have inventory for a bike that can only be raced in three classes if your a female instead of the five available. If AMA open the 85 class just like the 125-250 3/4 rule, there would be several 150cc 4t makers. I personaly think AMA has taken too much direction from KTM.

So the rules are not fair? It's a 150cc bike, not a 85. How is that not fair? If Honda truly designed this bike to race in a 85cc class, they wanted to cheat their way in by having the rules changed to benefit only them. Pretty sad!

• mojo racing

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:33 PM

I cant comment on stock form because I had the dealer put the 13.5 to 1 piston in before we picked it up but this thing will smoke our mod 85s. It pulls so much harder all the way to the top with my 210 pounds on it. Truly an incredible motor. My daughter has been beating most of the women on their 250s with her supermini, now on the 150 she will walk them. I still love our 2 strokes and we will continue to race them but this bike has its place for my daughter that is for sure. The torque is nothing short of incredible. I want one for myself!

• weantright

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:14 AM

So the rules are not fair? It's a 150cc bike, not a 85. How is that not fair? If Honda truly designed this bike to race in a 85cc class, they wanted to cheat their way in by having the rules changed to benefit only them. Pretty sad!

It shows you don't have any idea what racing classes are. The 150r can not race in the 85 class per AMA and that is not fair. Why is it not fair?? All big bike classes use the 3/4 rule. 3/4 rule is a 4t can be larger cc by 3/4 vs. 2t. 450 4t races in the same class as a 250 2t. 125 = 250. Honda had at the time no reason for AMA not to class 85cc this way. No cheating just assuming classes will be the same. Sure some think Honda is pushing into the 85 class because the 150r is very competitive. If the 150r was a complete dud, AMA would open the class and we would not be talking about it. If you truely belive Honda wanted to cheat, what's your thoughts on KTM's push for smaller 400 class?? KTM holds alot of weight in the AMA and the only one that has a 400cc.

• gruberyz

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:43 AM

It shows you don't have any idea what racing classes are. The 150r can not race in the 85 class per AMA and that is not fair. Why is it not fair?? All big bike classes use the 3/4 rule. 3/4 rule is a 4t can be larger cc by 3/4 vs. 2t. 450 4t races in the same class as a 250 2t. 125 = 250. Honda had at the time no reason for AMA not to class 85cc this way. No cheating just assuming classes will be the same. Sure some think Honda is pushing into the 85 class because the 150r is very competitive. If the 150r was a complete dud, AMA would open the class and we would not be talking about it. If you truely belive Honda wanted to cheat, what's your thoughts on KTM's push for smaller 400 class?? KTM holds alot of weight in the AMA and the only one that has a 400cc.

The AMA is a bunch of idiots with their collective noses up Honda and Yamahas backside. They have made more stupid decisions on racing in the last ten years than in the previous thirty. The handicap on two strokes has pushed so many folks out of racing. The stupid transponder generated qualifying lap times instead of heat races is making the races boring. The little bitty AMA legal numbers on the bikes and you can't even tell who is who on the track unless you sit by a monitor at an outdoor event. Watching as factory teams shrink and pull out of racing and local events become sureal 30 minute commercials for sponsors and wonder why so few folks are participating. The AMA can than it's stupid decisions as to why.

• ABmotoxer

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:00 AM

I cant comment on stock form because I had the dealer put the 13.5 to 1 piston in before we picked it up but this thing will smoke our mod 85s. It pulls so much harder all the way to the top with my 210 pounds on it. Truly an incredible motor. My daughter has been beating most of the women on their 250s with her supermini, now on the 150 she will walk them. I still love our 2 strokes and we will continue to race them but this bike has its place for my daughter that is for sure. The torque is nothing short of incredible. I want one for myself!

Do you have to run race fuel with your 13.5 to 1 piston in the bike?

• tucker78

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:05 AM

Ok, so your saying its ok to just rewrite the rules and allow engines of much larger displacement compete in a 85cc class. You see nothing wrong with this? It's unfair and corrupt. And for once the AMA didn't allow it. How is KTM cheating? They want to run smaller bikes on the (open) class. You should check your facts. KTM has never held any weight with the AMA. That would be Honda. Only now is KTM becoming a sponsor in outdoors, because the whole market is collapsing. Hell, just look on ebay and see how many NEW leftover 150r's are left. Lots, and for cheap. every week for years now. Maybe you should consider racing with the 144's. They might let ya in with that big 150, or would that not be fair......

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Too loud for me.. by Deilke53

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF150 R/Expert
  • Hot  110 replies
Forums
Photo

56 Tooth Sprocket Problem by Nate45

• Hot  34 replies
Forums
Photo

Things I need to know about New 2012 CRF150RB by jhoff_02

• 2 replies
Reviews

Honda CRF150R 2012 by ThumperTalk

Honda CRF150R 2012
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda CRF150RB Expert 2008 by ThumperTalk

Honda CRF150RB Expert 2008
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.