Chain/sprocket combo's - who likes what?

15 replies to this topic
  • cage

Posted April 06, 2011 - 05:16 AM

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I did do a search before posting. I just picked up a new-to-me WR426, and noticed that the front sprocket is missing every 2nd tooth....D'oh!!! So, it's new chain/sprockets time.
I'm sticking to the stock gearing, and an O-ring chain. Wondering who likes what in terms sprocket setup, ie: steel all around, or a combination? Brand names? And what's a decent chain to buy? I don't want to go all out expensive, but I don't want crap either. I'm not an extreme rider, just trails. All opinions welcome, and thanks from a Noob!!!

• SXP

Posted April 06, 2011 - 06:02 AM

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I did do a search before posting. I just picked up a new-to-me WR426, and noticed that the front sprocket is missing every 2nd tooth....D'oh!!! So, it's new chain/sprockets time.
I'm sticking to the stock gearing, and an O-ring chain. Wondering who likes what in terms sprocket setup, ie: steel all around, or a combination? Brand names? And what's a decent chain to buy? I don't want to go all out expensive, but I don't want crap either. I'm not an extreme rider, just trails. All opinions welcome, and thanks from a Noob!!!

You sound like a candidate for the RockyMountain Primary Drive steel chain/sprocket combo. It's heavy (literally) duty stuff , but very durable, wears like iron, and lasts just as long as the big brand names. It's what I currently use and am very happy with the bang-for-the-buck value.

http://www.rockymoun...odFamilyId=9635

• cage

Posted April 06, 2011 - 07:20 AM

I was looking at those, wondering if they were any good, thanks for the reply!!

• MANIAC998

Posted April 07, 2011 - 04:29 AM

Craig, I've used the Ironman stainless steel rear sprockets in the past and can't believe how long they last! Amazing durability, and not very heavy either. For trailriding, I'd stay away from Aluminum. Maniac

• YamaLink

Posted April 07, 2011 - 04:41 AM

Yep, Primary Drive offers a lot for the money. And last year Rocky Mountain had some very good aluminum sprockets on closeout for a few bikes. I forget the name but they were a nice replacement. Not the long-lasting quality of an Ironman or the like but for $17 the rear was too good to pass up even if it lasted half as long (it lasted about 75% as long).

• wr426Ripper

Posted April 07, 2011 - 06:52 AM

Ironman sprockets are definatly the way to go. Last forever and is well worth the very little weight gain. I run them for trail riding as well as on the IMI track. Im no pro but love to hit the track to. That bike has so much torque that the sprocket weight is irrelevant unless your a pro rider. Do it Man!!!

• woods-rider

Posted April 07, 2011 - 07:02 AM

You sound like a candidate for the RockyMountain Primary Drive steel chain/sprocket combo. It's heavy (literally) duty stuff , but very durable, wears like iron, and lasts just as long as the big brand names. It's what I currently use and am very happy with the bang-for-the-buck value.

http://www.rockymoun...odFamilyId=9635

x2!

I have their sprockets and they are super strong. I think pretty much any steel sprocket will do, just stay away from aluminum unless you want to be replacing them every third ride or so. And stick to an O or X-ring chain like you said you would. They stretch MUCH less than standard chains which translates to longer chain and sprocket life.

• KennyMc

Posted April 07, 2011 - 09:09 AM

Ironman sprockets are definatly the way to go. Last forever and is well worth the very little weight gain. I run them for trail riding as well as on the IMI track. Im no pro but love to hit the track to. That bike has so much torque that the sprocket weight is irrelevant unless your a pro rider. Do it Man!!!

:cheers: Another vote for the Ironman sprockets.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dustdogg

Posted April 07, 2011 - 03:44 PM

I run Ironman sprockets and a D.I.D. X-ring chain. Expensive at first, but it is one of the most durable combos out there.

• yz-dwg

Posted April 08, 2011 - 02:46 PM

why not stock? my chain and sprockets lasted years of every weekend use (I am old and slow),

maybe too expensive? just asking......

• wr426Ripper

Posted April 10, 2011 - 01:00 PM

why not stock? my chain and sprockets lasted years of every weekend use (I am old and slow),

maybe too expensive? just asking......

It just depends on the type of riding you do. Yah, if you ride a little slower and not to aggressive the stock stuff will last for a while. But, if you like to tare it up and ride more frequently and are constantly on the throttle, the stock stuff will ware out rather quickly. I cant get more than a few months out of a stock sprocket before the teeth wear uneven and begin to round out. Not preachin, just like the longevity of the iron man gear. try it and see what you think.

• cage

Posted April 12, 2011 - 05:29 AM

Got a good deal locally on Sunstar (steel) sprockets and a UMI chain. Since I'm in maintenance mode, I noticed that the chain guide on the swingarm is rather worn from the old chain. It's not worn down through, maybe 40% is left. I didn't check the rear chain support/roller. Should I replace these parts, and if so, am I forced to use Yamaha OEM or is there an aftermarket solution?

• miweber929

Posted April 12, 2011 - 07:06 AM

Aftermarket. Think it's UFO that makes 'em. Do a Google search or look at Rocky Mountian ATV. I like to replace them before they get too bad because if they are worn they will affect the life of your new chain and now is a good time to do it.

Mike

• cage

Posted April 12, 2011 - 07:20 AM

Front: http://www.rockymoun...odFamilyId=2004
Not much cheaper than OEM

Back: http://www.rockymoun...dFamilyId=24705
MUCH cheaper than stock!!

• tribalbc

Posted April 12, 2011 - 08:25 AM

And last year Rocky Mountain had some very good aluminum sprockets on closeout for a few bikes. I forget the name but they were a nice replacement. Not the long-lasting quality of an Ironman or the like but for $17 the rear was too good to pass up even if it lasted half as long (it lasted about 75% as long).

They were RMA sprockets, Euro made quality aluminum sprockets. I bought a stack for the WR as well as the RM. Couldn't beat them for the price.

But otherwise I think Ironman are your best bet. The fronts not so much, would just get a cheap Primary Drive one here and swap it out a little more often. But the rears :cheers: I have a 52t rear for my WR with over 200hrs on it and it still shows no sign of wear.....
Just make sure you use new quality sprocket bolts and loctite.

And Chains I've been going with the GYTR GDX X ring chain lately. Way less drag than a Regina, lasts close to the same time, and only $65 a pop.

• wr426Ripper

Posted April 13, 2011 - 12:20 PM

Looks like you have gotten lots of good info here. When I do a chain and sprocket set, I do all, Chain and Sprockets (both front and rear)!!! A chain that is wearing a little will have dramatic affects on a new sprockets longevity also. So, do chain and spreckets as a set when its time. The rollers should last you longer than that. But, If the roller is squeeling or has rough movement or wobbles alot then you should replace them also. They are cheap and all sorts of non OEM stuff is available. There is also alot of non OEM swing arm chain guides available for that bike. A site that i use alot is cheapcycleparts.com They have almost everything under the sun and some good brands also. They ship parts on time and usually offer free shipping if you purchase like $70 or more. Also, cyclepartswearhouse.com will have lits of stuff for your bike. And always RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT, BALLS TO THE WALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.