07 yz450f piston life time

46 replies to this topic
  • jacobdewey

Posted April 06, 2011 - 11:04 AM

thats pretty stupid. no one needs to replace a piston if the bike has under 50 hours...EVER

I know, but he asked what was "recommended".... I've never touched the valves or changed a piston on a yz....crf's are another story. :cheers:

• Kx450fguy

Posted April 06, 2011 - 11:12 AM

I know, but he asked what was "recommended".... I've never touched the valves or changed a piston on a yz....crf's are another story. :cheers:

very true!

• rdrata

Posted April 06, 2011 - 07:54 PM

Take your routine somewhere else:

That just made me laugh:busted:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kain522

Posted April 07, 2011 - 06:24 AM

If you go by the manual, you should replace the piston every 12.5 hours on a 2010, i don't know what the other years manual says, but i had an 08 with over 120 hrs on it, stock piston, that ran as good as a new bike, changing oil and filter every 6 hours, and air filter every ride...also a breather tube reroute. :cheers:

The manual for my '04 says to inspect the piston every fifth race or 1000km (yeah, sounds weird to me too), replace as needed. I think if I keep the air filter clean and the oil fresh, the YZ will out live me!

• Gunner354

Posted April 07, 2011 - 08:37 AM

Over 400 hrs on an 09 and counting

• Yamiryder

Posted April 07, 2011 - 04:52 PM

Over 400 hrs on an 09 and counting

:cheers: Is that all on the same engine internals?

• dvn

Posted April 07, 2011 - 05:32 PM

:ride: Is that all on the same engine internals?

My thoughts exactly! And counting until what? Are you just trying to see how long it will go before a catastrophic failure???? :cheers:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.