07 yz450f piston life time

46 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted April 05, 2011 - 02:22 PM

The point I'm making in simple terms is that while some people seem to get away with all kinds of stuff, running over 6 hours on the single quart of engine oil in a YZ450 is something you'd better be sure you can do without running into problems, street bikes notwithstanding.

• Hooch33

Posted April 05, 2011 - 02:31 PM

yes i was the one. please dont bag on it, i am not in the mood right now. and oh yeah well i use the motorcycle oils. i dont know why anyone would use car oil or anything like that in their bikes

You would be amazed with the number of people running car oil in thumpers especially Mobile 1 and Rotella, and yet amazingly enough their motorcycles aren't blowing up any sooner than from using Yamalube. Who woulda thunked?

• Yamiryder

Posted April 05, 2011 - 03:32 PM

I ran Rotella T in my 250f, and that's why i change it every 6 hours. I would probably do the same in a 450.

• Hooch33

Posted April 05, 2011 - 03:51 PM

Rotella is superb for the task at hand especially if you're changing it every 5-6 hours.

• grayracer513

Posted April 05, 2011 - 04:12 PM

I ran Rotella T in my 250f, and that's why i change it every 6 hours. I would probably do the same in a 450.

Rotella is superb for the task at hand especially if you're changing it every 5-6 hours.

If you believe that, you're kidding yourselves. Send a sample of your used oil to Blackstone, and see.

Or don't. I'll tell you for dead certain that after 3 hours, it's not a 40wt anymore.

• Hooch33

Posted April 05, 2011 - 04:17 PM

If you believe that, you're kidding yourselves. Send a sample of your used oil to Blackstone, and see.

Or don't. I'll tell you for dead certain that after 3 hours, it's not a 40wt anymore.

So what you are saying is that Rotella T is not intended for motorcycle use and the thousands upon thousands of people that have been using this oil in their motorcycles are wrong correct?

• Kx450fguy

Posted April 05, 2011 - 05:07 PM

well yamalube sucks and my 02 actually takes almost 1 3/4 of a quart so idk if that makes a difference but it sure as hell lasts more then alot of peoples

• Kx450fguy

Posted April 05, 2011 - 05:09 PM

So what you are saying is that Rotella T is not intended for motorcycle use and the thousands upon thousands of people that have been using this oil in their motorcycles are wrong correct?

all the scientific study is garbage. people have been doing it for years. you could probably get 8 hours out of rotella. i just wouldnt use it because its like using 87...it works, i just dont want it in my baby haha....ride on though man...if it works it works and let people do whatever they think is good

• Yamiryder

Posted April 05, 2011 - 05:19 PM

I ran rotella T for a year in my 250f, trouble free.:cheers:

• rjcook450

Posted April 05, 2011 - 05:28 PM

I have ran yamalube in my 08 450 since I bought it new, change oil every 4-5hrs. When I had top end done at 100hrs. everything looked great, mechanic said it didnt really need it. just my experince

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kx450fguy

Posted April 05, 2011 - 05:31 PM

I have ran yamalube in my 08 450 since I bought it new, change oil every 4-5hrs. When I had top end done at 100hrs. everything looked great, mechanic said it didnt really need it. just my experince

i believe you could run any oil and change it every 4 hours and it will run fine

• Yamiryder

Posted April 05, 2011 - 05:33 PM

Thanks. that's what i was wanting to hear:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted April 05, 2011 - 06:36 PM

Pretty much.

• grayracer513

Posted April 05, 2011 - 06:39 PM

all the scientific study is garbage. people have been doing it for years. you could probably get 8 hours out of rotella.

All you have to do is send a sample out for testing.

Or, if you're OK with running a 30wt oil, fine.

• Hooch33

Posted April 05, 2011 - 07:06 PM

Pretty much.

So what oil do you recommend for the Yamaha minus the super overpriced dealer oils?

• ttr250dude

Posted April 05, 2011 - 07:20 PM

Here's how i see it: Someone pays $4k-$10 on their bike, but that same person doesnt want to spend the extra ~$6 for the correct oil. I dont really understand that..

Like gray said, automotive oil simply isnt ideal for dirtbikes. It may work, but its not the right stuff.

• ubu

Posted April 05, 2011 - 07:43 PM

So, assuming the owner runs decent oil, how often should he be thinking about a new piston?
FWIW, I usually run Maxima SynBlend 10-40, but have used Rottella and Lucas. Mostly Maxima though, and I'm pretty much set on it. I don't think I've ever gone more than 6 hours on oil-I must like the mess.
95 hours currently. Valves are fine. I'm thinking fresh piston, cam chain, and clutch before the fall season. I'm guessing 120 hours or so.

• grayracer513

Posted April 05, 2011 - 07:58 PM

So what oil do you recommend for the Yamaha minus the super overpriced dealer oils?

I use Amsoil MCF (MCV in the 3-4 hottest months). Costs me about $8/qt as a preferred customer. Mobil 1 Racing 4T is another very good one. Golden Spectro 4 is a lower cost option that holds up well, too. There are several good ones available these days.

• jacobdewey

Posted April 06, 2011 - 10:44 AM

If you go by the manual, you should replace the piston every 12.5 hours on a 2010, i don't know what the other years manual says, but i had an 08 with over 120 hrs on it, stock piston, that ran as good as a new bike, changing oil and filter every 6 hours, and air filter every ride...also a breather tube reroute. :cheers:

• Kx450fguy

Posted April 06, 2011 - 10:53 AM

If you go by the manual, you should replace the piston every 12.5 hours on a 2010, i don't know what the other years manual says, but i had an 08 with over 120 hrs on it, stock piston, that ran as good as a new bike, changing oil and filter every 6 hours, and air filter every ride...also a breather tube reroute. :cheers:

thats pretty stupid. no one needs to replace a piston if the bike has under 50 hours...EVER

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.