Is it worth it?

10 replies to this topic
  • farmer ed

Posted April 04, 2011 - 07:49 AM

Hi Guys looking for opinions on a 1998 WRF 400 that has been sitting in storage since year 2000. Suppost to be only 10 hours on motor but was wondering what 13 years of antifreeze sitting there will to do the engine cases. Also any major problems to worry about with this model. Looking to use it for around the farm and riding with my boys. Thanks

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 04, 2011 - 07:58 AM

Why not just inspect it. You can and should change the water pump seal. that's an easy job. When you pull that impeller out, take a look to see if there's any corrosion. Then you should know.

Otherwise, you'll probably have to put in a little time to get it fired up (new jets, needle valve, plug, fresh gas and oil...)

Don't forget the starting fluid.

Once its running, then you'll know what you are working with.

Its a great bike and helped start a revolution. Its got a bit of a tricky starting routine, but its no problem once you learn what that is. You'll get lots of practice finding TDC.

• Shred Jesse

Posted April 04, 2011 - 09:28 AM

The starting routine isn't anything at all.

I have one. While a bit heavy (to say the least) it's still a damn fun beast to run around the trails. It's very reliable.

One "Most Do" modification on it is to get the powerbomb header. You don't need to do it for power purposes though, you need to do it for easy access to the oil filter. With the OEM header you have to remove it in order to change out the oil filter...

• 2006wr450f

Posted April 05, 2011 - 02:01 PM

To know if this bike is worth it or not how much is the person asking for the bike.

• farmer ed

Posted April 06, 2011 - 04:46 AM

the bike is a 1998 WRF 400 with 10 hours and he is asking $2800

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gsa102

Posted April 06, 2011 - 05:16 AM

Sounds too steep to me. You don't know how much it was really run unless you know the guy personally. Letting a machine sit like that is hard on the seals.

I saw an 05 last spring for that price.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 06, 2011 - 07:08 AM

the bike is a 1998 WRF 400 with 10 hours and he is asking $2800

Nope... that is waaaay too much. He should be asking for half of that at most.

For less than 2800, you can get an estart wr450

10 hours doesn't impress me, especially when I know that the bikes last forever anyways.

I would buy it at 1200, I would seriously think about it at 1400. Any higher and I'd be looking at other options. Nice bike, but never over pay.

• teamtree

Posted April 06, 2011 - 07:20 AM

$1200 to $1500 MAX

• Flooder305

Posted April 06, 2011 - 09:04 AM

What they said, that monkey is out of his tree....:cheers:

• Shred Jesse

Posted April 06, 2011 - 01:19 PM

Mine was 1600, but it runs perfectly, hadn't been sitting, and is plated (adds value).

• Leardriver

Posted April 07, 2011 - 04:57 PM

If that bike was in decent running condition, it would struggle to bring $1,000. In it's current condition, less than half that. It was abandoned and deserted, and it isn't worth the risk. Nice modern '03 and up CRF's and YZ450's can be had for $1500.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.