Nice pictures of CRF450R at Glen Helen

18 replies to this topic
  • Ga426owner

Posted April 25, 2001 - 11:32 AM

Check this out: are those dual decompression releases: http://www.fourstrok...0RHondaP11.html
or html://www.fourstrokesonly.com

• Ga426owner

Posted April 25, 2001 - 11:40 AM

sorry, here is the rest of the pictures: http://www.fourstrok...F450RHonda.html

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 25, 2001 - 11:52 AM

Awesome picture list!! I was told one is the compression release and the other is a hot start lever instead of a button. I kinda like the idea and that would really confuse those 2 stroke guys.
Khris

------------------
When in doubt, GAS IT!

• Ga426owner

Posted April 25, 2001 - 11:54 AM

Did you notice the oil intakes on each side of the cases Right & Left? I wonder if this bike has 2 separate oil systems?

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 25, 2001 - 12:15 PM

That's interesting. I didn't notice a fill spout for a frame resevoir or oil lines coming off the frame. Could they be running 2 sumps? One for the Trans and one for the engine? I noticed the one on the left has a window under it where the one on the right doesn't. COuld the one on the left be for the tranny? How could they have 2 seperate sumps in the engine?
Khris

------------------
When in doubt, GAS IT!

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 25, 2001 - 01:13 PM

[This message has been edited by sirthumpalot (edited 04-25-2001).]

• scottzx7rr

Posted April 25, 2001 - 05:43 PM

I wonder if this bike is set up like the SX/MX versions of the YZ or this is actually a production version? So I wonder if they don't use a sump in it all and the oil resides in the engine or that is a race mod like Yamahas?

------------------
Scott #410
Some Fear Racing "Cause if you don't have any you ain't going fast enough"
'99 YZ400F(Coming to a Theater near you soon)
'92 ZX-7R and '97 ZX-7RR
"Doesn't hurt till the bone is exposed"
"When cut do you bleed green? I do!"
Pics

• Numpsy

Posted April 25, 2001 - 08:21 PM

The roumors I have heard is that this engine is what You will get in the shops.
The only thing they are fooling around with is the suspension.
Honda allways learn from misstakes and test all their bikes in real race condition....
I will surely get one when they are released!!!!

Numpsy

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 26, 2001 - 06:38 AM

That's a good point about it being a race motor and different then production. Like Ferry's YZ, why wouldn't they do this. I'm sure that the production bike is pretty much done with no further changes to this year. It makes sense to go out with a full race version and try to spank every other bike out there. I would do this because the average public would just see a brand new bike that is hauling ass. I'll bet a lot of non-TT YZ400/426 owners don't know that Ferry's machine is way different then our bikes and has major of modifications. I always used to assume that they had some insane suspension and some head work or a great engine builder. I never realized that they had totally custom engines, gearboxes, and oil/cooling systems. On the other hand though, I could be wrong and Hughs is riding a bike off the showroom floor with suspension mods that we all dream of.
Khris

------------------
When in doubt, GAS IT!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted April 26, 2001 - 06:46 AM

You would think that Yamaha would want to get "our" whistles wet with info on the new bike, So not to lose any market share to Honda.............

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 26, 2001 - 06:52 AM

Yeah, I know what you're saying. I'm not in the market for a new bike cause I'm happy with mine and mostly cause I can't afford a new one but still. I hope Yamaha has something up their sleeve! Although then again this new bike could be all hype and not coming out on the market swinging although I doubt that since we are talking Honda and 4stroke. What's up with Cannondale? Have they pulled out yet or what? I have yet to see one except for in the Mags!
Khris

------------------
When in doubt, GAS IT!

• Ga426owner

Posted April 26, 2001 - 09:05 PM

And don't those magazines just rave about Cannondale.................I wonder if one has actually finished a race yet w/0 dnf....

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 26, 2001 - 09:19 PM

UWWWW Bike of the year!! Aren't they special!! My YZ400 sure does seem to be running better and faster then any Cannondale I've seen, ohh wait that's right I haven't seen one. Did you see that post about the test rides Cannondale's offering over on the WR side? I'll admit I think they had some good ideas that make a lot of sense with their motor and frame but I think their problem is that they don't have the experience to make it all come together and work. I think some outsourcing to companies with a little more experience may have been more beneficial to them instead of tackling the entire project by themselves.
Khris

------------------
When in doubt, GAS IT!

• Ga426owner

Posted April 26, 2001 - 09:36 PM

Yea, I hope they can get their act together. It would be nice to see more variety of 4strokes out there. Especially from a USA company. Maybe they should combine with ATK??? But, think about all the manufacturers of motorcycles that have come, conquered & failed????
CanAm,Cagiva,Hodaka,Bultaco,Ossa,CZ,Rickman,
just to name a few.....

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 26, 2001 - 10:22 AM

That's true about companies coming and going. All of those companies best years were before my time of riding but I know what you're saying. I'm not sure about the status of those companies when they jumped into the market but I would think Cannondale has a good chance. I'm sure they have a huge amount of finacial backing from their bicycle devision and they might even be a public company, I'm not sure. I remember reading a lengthy interview of the owner about their new bike and his ideas on design and function of the bike seemed right on. His buisness ideas seemed right also. He mentioned that one thing that he believes hurt them the most was the Magazine publicity because it sort of forced them to put a product out since they made the Hype so big. They wanted to wait until the bike was perfect but then they had the magazines and the public pushing for release. The one thing that I didn't like was they were not going to have new yearly released models. They were going to make changes and improvments as they found them. To get parts instead of saying I have a 1999 YZ400 I would say I have a Cannodale VIN#3489275. Kinda different. Also I'd be mad if I bought one on Tuesday and a better one hit the floor on Wed.
Khris

------------------
When in doubt, GAS IT!

• JBM

Posted April 26, 2001 - 12:59 PM

Cannondale is a public company. Their ticker symbol is BIKE.

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 26, 2001 - 01:08 PM

In regards to Yamaha giving us info about next years YZ:

I have to wonder if they are waiting for a time closer to the release date, or at least closer to Honda's release date if that comes first. I'm guessing that info released too soon blows away in the wind by the time the bikes arrive, but if you bring it up just before they are available then you have it on peoples minds more at a time when they can actually buy it. Just a guess..

• MXOldtimer

Posted April 26, 2001 - 02:19 PM

Sir
I have to agree. No matter how much hype they put out now all heads will turn when the "new" bike arrives, so they would be wise to let the Honda thing blow over then get the ball back in their court (not that it left)

Doug

• Husker_Mike

Posted April 26, 2001 - 08:41 PM

Maybe Yamaha hasn't released any news on their upcoming `02 bikes for the same reason Honda (450 exception), Suzuki and Kawasaki havn't released any information -- sales. All the manufacturers have some product left on the floor, by introducing new product soooo early in the year (it's only late April) a potential customer may just wait. Remember, dealers have to pay flooring on all those unsold bikes in the stores.

Just my .02.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.