new to the 450 club

6 replies to this topic
  • ed curti

Posted April 03, 2011 - 01:59 PM

picked up a new 09 wr450 yesterday,done lots of reading so i have a handle on the must do mods,after looking i think i want to go with just the Q4 slip-on,opens things up and looks to be at 96dbs or even less,and looked like some good gains for the money.Any one think thats not a ok plan,i know some will say full system however if this bike has the power that is talked about here i won't need all of it anyway but i do like the front wheel up from time to time.can't wait for my stuff to get here(jd,fuel screw,pipe i have to make the ais block off plate as there b/o till may and i am not waiting,and after seeing posts it's easy to do so thanks to all who post these mods to make mine and others lives easy.It is hard to see my new toy torn down to do every thing but it will be cool when it's done thanks ed:thumbsup:

• the_smoo

Posted April 03, 2011 - 03:49 PM

Enjoy:thumbsup: and congratulations!

• kawi380

Posted April 04, 2011 - 05:00 AM

Honestly I would look into getting a yz exhaust in lieu of the FMF. The Q4 is a great silencer but for half the price you can buy a full yz system and stick the PMB end cap on there and be better off...my $.02.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 04, 2011 - 08:13 AM

Honestly I would look into getting a yz exhaust in lieu of the FMF. The Q4 is a great silencer but for half the price you can buy a full yz system and stick the PMB end cap on there and be better off...my $.02.

I'll add my $.02 also and bring the value up to .$.04

Get the PMB end cap instead. Drilll a couple of extra holes in your stock pipe if you need to. You'll save $400 to $500 bucks. You'll have the same power but will have to twist the throttle 1/8 inch more to get it. Its not the best bang for the buck.

Get the adjustable leak jet and accelerator pump for the carb. Get the JD jetting kit too. Better bang for the buck.

I wish I had invested in my suspension before I got my FMF pipe on my wr. The WR's really need it and will feel 20lbs lighter once your are dialed in.

• ed curti

Posted April 04, 2011 - 01:03 PM

Thanks guys I will try the pmb 1st. That was the first route I was going to go anyway.

• telejojo

Posted April 04, 2011 - 01:21 PM

I'll add my $.02 also and bring the value up to .$.04

Get the PMB end cap instead. Drilll a couple of extra holes in your stock pipe if you need to. You'll save $400 to $500 bucks. You'll have the same power but will have to twist the throttle 1/8 inch more to get it. Its not the best bang for the buck.

Get the adjustable leak jet and accelerator pump for the carb. Get the JD jetting kit too. Better bang for the buck.

I wish I had invested in my suspension before I got my FMF pipe on my wr. The WR's really need it and will feel 20lbs lighter once your are dialed in.

I did the jet kit but not leak jet is thats why it's so hard to start cold?

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 05, 2011 - 10:04 AM

Leak jet is for something else, not starting. But do change it.

If its hard to start cold, then you need to look at the pilot jet circuit.

Assuming that you have the correct jets installed and the needle in the correct position according to the JD jet kit, it should start fairly easily.

You need to play with your fuel screw and maybe make sure that your idle screw is adjusted correctly.

get he flexjet from r1dean.com. it makes it real easy to adjust things.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.