looking to get a heavier fly wheel weight for a 04 yz450f, any advice

5 replies to this topic
  • big53lee

Posted April 02, 2011 - 10:22 PM

not sure what size to get. i'm asuming a 12 oz weight? I ride mostly trails, hairscrambles, and enduros.... i need some more pulling power with out using my clutch so much.... any advice out there? Zip-ty has a 12 oz wieght with fly wheel puller for $130.... any better deals out there?

Lee

• ttr250dude

Posted April 03, 2011 - 03:18 AM

There are many many threads about this. I would do a search. I use the GYTR off road flywheel but i have an 5 speed. Have you tried changing sprockets?

• big53lee

Posted April 03, 2011 - 04:29 PM

yes, i went from the stock 48t to a 54t, not knowing how much of a dramatic change that was. IT DEFINETLY HAD THE LUGGIN POWER and it was a work out keeping the front wheel on the ground....but the down side was i lost so much on my top end... i was gettin smoked on straight aways......so now i'm running a 50t and its perfect........but i still would like some grunt on hill climbs and technicle rocky areas.... I"m in the rocky mountains, and there's a reason they call them the rocky mountains... haha.... so thats why im looking for a heavier fly wheel weight. thanks for the tip i'll do some more research.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fish Cop

Posted April 04, 2011 - 05:17 PM

Steahly is a company in Oregon that makes heavier flywheels, not just an add on weight. They come in sizes from + 4oz, 6oz, 8oz up to 12oz. I just ordered a 6oz through my local dealer for my 04 yz450 on Saturday. It was $104 and will ship directly from the factory to my house for no additional charge. It should be here in a couple of days and maybe I will get to try it out this weekend.

Weights could potentialy come loose and fall off. Also with the add on weights you typically need to add extra gaskets to space the cover out to make room for the added thickness of the weight.

Gytr makes 2 heavier flywheels, one that is 3. somthing ounces and one that is 4. something ounces. I was going to get the gytr that was 4.83oz but had a hard time finding one.

Good luck. If you arent in a hurry wait until I try mine out and I will let you know how it goes.

• ttr250dude

Posted April 04, 2011 - 06:28 PM

Steahly is a company in Oregon that makes heavier flywheels, not just an add on weight. They come in sizes from + 4oz, 6oz, 8oz up to 12oz. I just ordered a 6oz through my local dealer for my 04 yz450 on Saturday. It was $104 and will ship directly from the factory to my house for no additional charge. It should be here in a couple of days and maybe I will get to try it out this weekend.

Weights could potentialy come loose and fall off. Also with the add on weights you typically need to add extra gaskets to space the cover out to make room for the added thickness of the weight.

Gytr makes 2 heavier flywheels, one that is 3. somthing ounces and one that is 4. something ounces. I was going to get the gytr that was 4.83oz but had a hard time finding one.

Good luck. If you arent in a hurry wait until I try mine out and I will let you know how it goes.

Im not saying you're wrong but: Inertia is more important than weight. An 8oz flywheel from Company A could have less inertia than an 8oz from Company B simply due to where the weight is placed.
Again, im not trying to be rude, but i thought id point that out.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 04, 2011 - 10:24 PM

not sure what size to get. i'm asuming a 12 oz weight? I ride mostly trails, hairscrambles, and enduros.... i need some more pulling power with out using my clutch so much.... any advice out there? Zip-ty has a 12 oz wieght with fly wheel puller for $130.... any better deals out there?

Lee

Get an autoclutch (Rekluse) and be done with it already. Even with a flywheel weight, it will require some precise clutch work when the speeds are slow.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.